PDA

View Full Version : Oak Bowl HF

Josh Bowman
04-27-2013, 10:15 PM
I went out to the shop the other day and just wanted to turn something, no real direction. So I cut this oak blank into a 7" bowl shape, and as I was starting to hollow out the inside, I stopped about 3/4" into the rim. I then opened up a hole with the intentions of putting a collar on the piece, but after hollowing it out, felt the piece looked interesting as it was. The oak had a few cracks that got some CA to fill them. I left a tiny bit of the tenon as a foot to lift the form up.
What are your opinions?? C&C welcomed.

charlie knighton
04-28-2013, 8:14 AM
Josh, nice oak bowl, i like your exterior shape, nice continous curve, the top of bowl needs something, maybe a rim around the hole, maybe the hole elongated like an eye, just something, i do like that the top is recessed, oak has a nice glow not glossness shown in your first picture

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Really a good looking bowl Josh. I agree with Charlie about the hole needing something.

Josh Bowman
04-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Really a good looking bowl Josh. I agree with Charlie about the hole needing something.

Thanks guys. Keep it coming. I initially thought about a collar and maybe a threaded finial???

bob svoboda
04-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Very nice. I agree with the above opinions and tend to think a simple collar rather than a finial. JMHO

Josh Bowman
04-28-2013, 9:14 PM
Ok, here's a collar, what do you think. This is a piece of cherry, but it seemed to light to me, so I blackened it with a sharpie. C&C encouraged.

Dennis Ford
04-28-2013, 9:30 PM
I liked it before but the collar does add something; nice work!.

Richard Coers
04-28-2013, 9:41 PM
The domed collar looks out of place to me. Everything on the top is dead flat or square cut. Now you've introduced a new shape that contrasts. I like the collar idea, but I would have made it flatter. I'm also not a fan of cracked finished work(repaired or not), but that's a personal preference. Well heck, both of my ideas are personal preferences! LOL

Brian Kent
04-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Well Josh, I am just impressed that you found an original or unusual shape. I like it with or without a collar.

Roger Chandler
04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
I think the collar adds to the piece........I would add some sort of unusual finial out of the same kind of wood the bowl is made from .....something that compliments the form, but does not try to make it too formal a piece...........just my take on it. Nice work, Josh!

Kathy Marshall
04-30-2013, 2:14 AM
Nice looking bowl Josh! Interesting form and I like the collar.