PDA

View Full Version : Restoration starting .. looking for a few mentors.

Rick Fisher
04-27-2013, 9:53 PM
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Courtenay-20120529-00533-1.jpg (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/jokerbird_photo/media/Courtenay-20120529-00533-1.jpg.html)

I currently have a 20" General International 30-300 planer with a magnum head. I plan on selling it when I finish restoring this General 130-1 14" planer.

I have a 25" Wide Belt sander and since getting it, never use the 20" capacity of my planer any more. I dislike the 20" General and always wanted a 24" Euro Planer, but when I picked up this 14" Canadian made planer for $ 675.00 .. I figured what the heck ..

The 130-1 Planer is only 14" wide, has a 3hp x PH-3 Baldor Motor under the hood. I have a 3hp VFD sitting in a box but also have a 20HP PP with a 3 phase panel. In this case, I will likely just plug it into the 3 phase system and keep the VFD for something else.

I ordered $400 worth of parts from General and they should be here next week. I expect to install a Byrd Cutterhead in this machine, so not including elbow grease, I figure I will be into this planer for $2300.00 Maybe a bit more ..

I know that a few members here have rebuilt this planer in the past. This one is in running condition. My only real planer use now is after jointing.. I don't plane glue-up's since getting the sander so other than planing after jointing, I don't use it much .. I am thinking this General will be a nicer machine which takes up a whole bunch less room ..

Rick Fisher
04-27-2013, 9:56 PM
I should add.. My only other restoration was a 24" SCM Bandsaw.. I know a planer is a bit more fussy.. I am hoping to get lots of verbal help ..

One I restored my old SCM Bandsaw.. ( 1989 ) .. I sorta fell for it .. I know that saw.. every nut and bolt.. I wouldn't trade it for a new one because of the time spent working on it .. hard to explain but the months of work make a difference ..

If you have restored a General 130 .. chime in .. lol

Roy Turbett
04-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Check out this thread at OWWM.org. If the link doesn't work, go to OWWM.org and search "general 130 planer" and you will get 82 hits that include this thread.

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71693&start=0&hilit=general+130+planer

Chris Fournier
04-28-2013, 6:44 PM
That is a solid, no frills planer - with no kick back pawls I should add. As long as bearings, belts, feed roller settings and aligment are good you are laughing. To me restoring means just that - a complete tear down and renewal, it is a lot of work. The last machine that I did this to was a General 100-5 which I tore down to the castings, sand blasted and built back up with fresh bearings, belts etc. It was a lot of work but worth it to me as I have a soft spot for Generals (no need to say Canadian made as the import stuff is not General - heritage and pedigree being what they are). Old school cool is what you have!

Rick Fisher
04-28-2013, 8:18 PM
Thanks for the link to OWWM.org.. I joined the site, never had joined it before .. I will post over there when activated.

What do you mean no kickback pawls ? Not sure .. I plan on tearing it down to the bearings.. Complete disassembly .. I figure 50 hours but really have no idea.. It really will be what it will be .. In my package from General is new tags, scale marker .. pointer, handle.. the works.. Probably will paint but not sure...

The 100-5 is a heavy duty sander.. Nice machine .. I too have a soft spot for Canadian General equipment .. I have a floor model lathe in storage that also needs a full restore... My future plan is for my shop to be all domestic or Euro with little or no Asian import .. time will tell ..