PDA

View Full Version : Door Dampener Dilemma ... Blumotion dampeners for pantry doors

Walter McNeil
04-27-2013, 4:09 PM
Hi all,
I have a pair of pantry doors I want to put blumotion dampeners on. These are 80" x 16" louvered doors that I recycled as part of a a kitchen remodel. They're large but fairly light.
The doors have 3x blum zero clearance hinges and I want them dampened, but I don't want the clip-on dampeners that jut out from the hinge. The hinges are already bulky enough and I don't want them protruding farther into the cabinet and interfering with items on the pull-outs.

So I'm considering either:
--Screw-on dampeners that go on the hinge side of the box, like 971A that screw onto the cabinet box adjacent to the hinges
--Drill-in "bullet inserts" that go in a 10mm hole drilled in the cabinet box (this is a frame-less box). I think the P/N is 970a? These are also available with surface mounted housings.

Does anybody know of a compelling reason to use one over the other? I'll try to attach a couple of pictures of the setup.
Thanks!
Walter

Walter McNeil
04-27-2013, 4:28 PM
261025261026261027Sorry these are sideways... maybe I'll put them online and share them via link.

Jeff Monson
04-27-2013, 11:48 PM
I'd go with the screw on blumotion for those doors, they are easy to install and adjustable for a lighter door like yours.

Jamie Buxton
04-27-2013, 11:53 PM
The nice thing about the drill-in version is that it eats zero room inside the cabinet. You do have to be a little careful about boring the hole. It is 10 mm (about 3/8") diameter, 2 inches deep, and you don't want it popping out into sight.

Walter McNeil
05-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Great, opinions split right down the middle! You guys are no help... :rolleyes:
Well, I couldn't make up my mind, so I thought I'd just defer the decision for a while and get the clip-on dampeners that I said I didn't want. Found them on Amazon for a couple-$$ each and planned to later replace them with one of the two options above.
But it turns out that the dampeners for the zero-protrusion hinges are a lot smaller and less obtrusive than the clip-on dampeners for the standard 110 deg hinges, so I think I'll just stick with these!

Michael Wildt
05-04-2013, 8:23 PM
I'm using the screw on version. One of them did fail after some use and had to be replaced. Not sure how easy it would be to replace the 'drill-in' ones.

Dave Sabo
05-16-2013, 10:26 PM
I know I'm late to the party , but why not just use one of Blum's new Clip top with integrated blumotion ???

The mechanism is inside the 35mm cup.

link:

http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/20/30/