PDA

View Full Version : Best file type for inporting to Corel Draw

Peter Meacham
04-27-2013, 10:50 AM
I am having an 8 foot long drawing scanned at my local Kinkos (now FedEx I guess) and want to know what file type would be best for importing into CD (Ver X5) so I can trace the artwork (quite simple artwork). I am thinking .tif or .tiff (I think those two formats are the same). Any other formats suggested? This will be a sign for the side of a boat.

Lee DeRaud
04-27-2013, 11:46 AM
A TIFF scan of something that size will be enormous at any decent resolution. See if they can do PNG (lossless compression). If not, I doubt the quality loss in a first-gen JPG will be bad enough to affect the trace all that much.

Lee DeRaud
04-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Another issue is that you may have to trace it in chunks to get decent results if it's long and skinny. I don't recall the limit, but CD won't trace a bitmap above a certain size: it resamples as needed to get to something it can digest. (At least with X4, may be different in newer versions.)

Peter Meacham
04-27-2013, 2:21 PM
Thanks for your inputs Lee. I did scan it the other day, but it was too light. So, I brought the drawing home and traced all the elements with a black marker and now I am going to scan it again. On the first scan I saved it as .eps (no good), .pdf ( best resolution but could not import into CD (error messages) and also saved it as a .jpg. So I will try it as .png and .jpg with the darker outlines.

Mark Sipes
04-27-2013, 3:06 PM
I you don't mind me asking .. how much did they charge for the scan that size??

Peter are you by chance a SLO Mustang ?

Kevin L. Waldron
04-27-2013, 9:35 PM
Question?

Why wouldn't you just photograph the drawing in a straight on shot? Bring the JPG into Corel determine some scale from point A to pont B then scale into Corel and trace the outline..... if the artwork is simple.

We do this all the time with several cad programs.....

Blessings,

Kevin

Peter Meacham
04-28-2013, 8:28 AM
Mark, they charged $10.91 for an 8 foot scan (actually they did a rescan for free the next day because I outlined the drawing in black to get better definition). I am not a SLO Mustang (local baseball team)

Peter Meacham
04-28-2013, 8:31 AM
Kevin, the rescan at Kinko's is working out fine after I outlined the elements in black. I am in the middle of tracing with a Bezier curve in CD now.