PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable VS grinder problem

Jim Barkelew
04-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Just scored a truck load of cypress from a backyard tree that had to be removed. I finished sawing up the load into managible pieces and got ready to rough out some bowls. I turned on the less than year old PC variable speed grinder and it started to turn for 2-3 seconds and then quit. It has alwas seemed slow to start since I bought it but thought that was normal.

I removed the cover in the base and saw a small blown fuse in the circut board. I found replacements on the web so I ordered 10 ( $8 - lifetime supply?). I replaced the fuse and tried again, same result. I removed one wheel, same result (down to 8 fuses).

I suspect the starting capacitor is bad, maybe always was bad causing slow starting.

Anybody have this problem and solution before I start buying parts. I don't want the hastle of returning it for repair or replacement.

I ran out of sealer so I used latex paint and need to get the grinder running before my horde cracks.

Jim

Jim Barkelew
05-26-2013, 5:18 PM
Since nobody seems to have had this problem this may not help anyone but I fixed the problem by replacing the circuit board. I bought a capacitor and the board replacement parts since those seemed to be the most logical things to go bad. I tried the new capacitor first and still blew a fuse. After replacing the board the grinder runs like it's new.

Dan Forman
05-26-2013, 8:15 PM
Glad you fixed it, what are you using it for in the rough out process? I use a modified angle grinder for sanding, but that's after all of the turning.

Dan

David C. Roseman
05-26-2013, 8:35 PM
Congratulations on fixing the problem, Jim! I bet your remedy will indeed help someone searching the subject in the future.

Dan, I missed Jim's original post, and when I saw it today had the same question you did: How in the heck do you rough out bowls with a grinder? Must be a new technique. Then I realized Jim's talking about the Porter Cable variable speed bench grinder! :o (Glad you posted first!)

David

Dan Forman
05-26-2013, 8:43 PM
Yeah, I just figured that out too as I got farther down in the post index, saw the thread about "grinder wobble", and the lightbulb switched on. file://localhost/Users/danforman/Desktop/biggrin.gif

I've heard of folks using angle grinders to hog out Aussi burls though.

Dan

Jim Barkelew
05-27-2013, 8:16 AM
I suppost I could have used the grinder shaft same as my first "lathe". My first turnings were done on my Erector set motor shaft back in the early 60's. I made square balsa into round balsa.

Mike Peace
05-27-2013, 9:28 AM
Glad you were able to find a replacement circuit board. I started with a used 6" VS Delta grinder that developed an electronics problem. They no longetr carried the replacement board. I ditched it for a WC 8" low speed. With your experience and mine with a VS grineder, I would never recommend one to a turner. The VS seems to be a "bell and whistle" that is not needed.