PDA

View Full Version : using Lee Valley super magents to attach storage units to table saw

tom coleman
04-27-2013, 4:10 AM
I am about out of space in cramped garage shop. I'd like to utilize the space on front and back of my cabinet saw for storing misc tools and measuring devices. I am thinking of buying several rare earth magnets w metal cups and epoxying them into recesses in wood stock which becomes the back of a small storage box and then attaching this to table saw real estate. Has anyone done this? Suggestions? Sounds like if I use magnet w 30 lbs holding power I should not have a problem............removing it might be a big problem.

Bill Neely
04-27-2013, 4:31 AM
I've done something similar - used rare earth magnets to mount a strip of wood with hooks on my saw to hold various push sticks.

Jamie Buxton
04-27-2013, 9:55 AM
When you're buying magnets, get them from Lee Valley, and also get the high-friction discs that go with. They'll prevent the storage boxes from slipping down the face of the saw. I built similar structures to hold knives and paper towels to a refrigerator, and slippage was a problem until those discs came out.

Keith Bohn
04-27-2013, 12:02 PM
It will work but won't hold the cabinets in shear. That can be solved with attaching a cleat at the bottoms for the cabinet to rest on.

One thing about the design, allow for adding additional magnets, just in case you under-engineer it to start with.

As an aside, a new "wonder material" I've become fond of lately is 3M's VBH tape. It's like a permanent rare earth magnet.

Fred Freitag
04-29-2013, 9:36 AM
I use magnets all over my cabinet saw to attach accessories - that's how I found this thread on the issue searching for additional ideas about doing such. I currently use rare earth magnets that I've epoxied into a push shoes to make them easily accessible when needed. I use the "mag jigs" to attach t-track to my fence. I use magnets with hooks that I got from Amazon to attach and hold saw blades with the corresponding zero clearance throat plate. I have purchased the magnetic tool tray holders (Grizzly has them) to hold various things. I use rare earth magnets with counter-sunk holes to attach those 6 prong wire hooks that you can get from the box stores - I use them to attach stuff.

I use the magnetic holders to hold my miter gauge to the saw - making it easy to store and retrieve when needed.

In fact, my tablesaw if full of magnets holding accessories and tools to it.

IMHO the more that I attach the safer I am when using the saw - stuff is easy to grab and I don't have to search for it.

IMHO I don't like defacing the saw or it's cabinet - that's why I use the magnets - they are easily removed or moved.

I also use the mag jigs to attach my outfeed table to the saw - I use them to attach to the rear fence angle instead of drilling and screwing into the steel angle (very difficult to do) - I can easily remove the outfeed table and just attach the mag jigs somewhere on the saw cabinet when I want to re-attach.

Fred Freitag
04-29-2013, 9:46 AM
That's a great idea - didn't think of that. That's why I searched for additional ideas - that's a good one!

Fred Freitag
04-29-2013, 9:59 AM
I agree - I have to use multiple magnets to hold some things. I get the biggest magnets I can - two usually hold most TS accessories. But if you really need holding power the mag jigs are great. Those magnetic hooks I got from Amazon are really good -4 Neodymium Hook Magnets - Each Holds up to 25 Pounds - those are the ones I got and are great and don't slide down (I can barely pull them off to move them - but they do have larger ones that hold 50 or even 80 pounds). They can easily hold a TS saw blade and corresponding zero clearance insert.

Kelly Colin Mark
04-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Another option instead of epoxying, is buying Lee Valley's cupped magnet sets. You screw a metal cup into a recess on your fixture, then the magnet goes into the cup. This way you can reuse the magnet at later time, but do note that you should (as per their instructions) file one side of the cup down if you do plan to reuse - otherwise you will never get that magnet out of the cup without destroying the fixture.

DAMHIKT.