PDA

View Full Version : Refilling bird feeders - what's a good schedule?

Stephen Tashiro
04-26-2013, 10:00 PM
How often should bird feeders be refilled? - whenever they get empty? And do some feeders dispense seeds too rapidly?

Some sites on the web say that if you have a bird feeder you should keep it stocked. However, it seems to me that bird feeders can attract hoards of birds if they are always full. I'd think there should be some compromise schedule where you let the feeder stay empty for awhile before refilling it, especially if a lot of seed gets dropped on the ground around the feeder.

Is there an optimum rate at which a feeder should dispense seeds? Should the birds have to work a little to get them out?

Sam Murdoch
04-26-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't let them get empty. Does your Mother skip your dinner every 3rd night? :)

Keep them clean, which means every 4th or 5th fill up you should empty them completely and at least clean them with paper towels if not water and a scrub.

As for your feed rate question - depends on the kind of feeder and the species of birds that your feeder attracts. If you get birds just keep it up. If you don't, you might need to change the kind of seed. Don't make it too complicated. Have fun.

Curt Fuller
04-26-2013, 10:22 PM
I guess it depends on how often you want to fill the feeder. Sometimes mine will go empty for several days before I get a chance to fill it. But as soon as I fill it the birds are back within minutes and feeding like normal. Around here we have some kinds of birds that wood rather eat the seed off the ground. Juncos, doves, towhees seem like they clean up the stuff the finches spill. I hardly ever see a chickadee on the ground though. One of the best feeders for not spilling seed is those mesh socks that hold the nyjer (thistle) seed. And this time of year the goldfinches flock to them. I just like watching the birds so I don't worry about a schedule of how much they eat.

Pat Barry
04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
I can't resist. If there is no food then its not a feeder.

Stephen Tashiro
04-27-2013, 12:30 AM
I don't let them get empty. Does your Mother skip your dinner every 3rd night? :)

Mom didn't have us skip meals, but she didn't offer to feed any strangers that happened along.

Don Morris
04-27-2013, 3:55 AM
I feed them because I enjoy watching them, their antics and know I'm helping out a little. The feeder goes dry on occasion but I try to stay on top of it. During this season that's tough some times because they're frantic using up energy building nests, courting, etc. I do think there is something to the point if you start, and continue for an extended period, you are somewhat obligated to continue, as they come to count on it. Not a hard and fast rule, but a moral point.

Jay Jolliffe
04-27-2013, 5:49 AM
I fill mine when the deer empty them...

Gary Hodgin
04-27-2013, 9:43 AM
We only feed hummingbirds. We use specially designed feeders and have to worry about ants but not other birds. We change the sugar/water mixture every 3 to 4 days or whenever the feeder is dry. Try to keep it fresh and available.

David G Baker
04-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I usually fill my feeders when they get low but not empty. The object of a bird feeder is to attract birds so I don't really care how many show up but I have a pressure sensitive bar that closes when the heavier birds land on it, this helps the lighter birds get fed. The seed that is on the ground feeds ground feeders like doves. The doves feed the hawks and eagles, the cycle of life. The seed that I use the most is the black Sun flower seeds because they are loved by almost all critters. At one time I bought thistle in 50 pound bag for finch at $28 but the price went up to around $50 so I stopped. Squirrels are the main obstacle to feeding birds, they will destroy a lot of types of feeders so most of mine are made from metal. I fed deer at one time but the price of their feed went through the ceiling so I stopped that. The last time I fed them I was paying over $125 a month to feed all of the critters. There was around 35 deer showing up at the feeders every night and this caused problems. We were attracting all kinds of critters and the deer were destroying a lot of our plants so we stopped. The nuisance critters went away and the deer stopped showing up. Another problem is the seed will germinate and a lot of plants will grow under the feeders.

Lee Schierer
04-27-2013, 8:04 PM
It depends on the type of feeder and type of birds that are feeding there. I have some sparrows that like to kick the seed in my gazebo platform feeder, throwing quite a bit over the side onto the ground. If I keep filling the feeder, they continue to dig to get their favorite seed. If I ration what I put in a bit, then they will clean up the less desirable seed and also eat the seed the kicked on the ground earlier. The result is that in the spring after the snow melts, I see little if any seed sprouting under my feeders. Before, when I used to fill it as soon as it emptied, I would have lots of seeds sprouting under the feeder in the spring.

When the Blackbirds, Grackles and Cow birds return in the spring, I really limit the feed as they can go through a gallon of seed in a few hours and the birds I really want that come early in the morning don't have a chance in the flocks of black birds. By putting in small amounts near dusk I can feed the good birds in the evening and again in the morning before the herds of blackbirds show up.

Kevin Bourque
04-27-2013, 8:27 PM
I have a feeder that automatically closes shut if theres too much weight on the perch. I usually fil it every 3 days. I have another feeder with tiny feeding slots that make it impossible for all but the smallest birds to feed from. I refill that one every week or so.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2013, 9:19 PM
We have been putting out suet cakes for some of the birds. Today I saw why it is disappearing faster than it used to, a blue jay was gobbling it down. Hopefully now there is enough food out and about for the sparrows that the suet was meant to feed. One thought is to make a cage around if of chicken wire. The monk sparrows are small enough that they can get through but it would keep the jays out.

jtk

Bill Cunningham
04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
I fill mine when the deer empty them...

I try to do it when there are no bears around..ha.. Actually the bears arent a problem where I am, but my daughters place is a different story.. They LOVE bird feeders..