PDA

View Full Version : Infill Shoulder Plane a la Jeff Whitrock

Brian Thornock
04-26-2013, 9:31 PM
I saw Jeff's great thread on his infill shoulder plane and decided I had to make one. I pretty much did everything the same way he did. It turned out pretty well, but have started to make a new pair of them that have some notable differences, mainly:

- using precision ground steel, the lapping required with the BORG steel took my on the order of 6 or 7 hours. Totally worth a little extra money for the good stuff.
- No steel blade ramp, I didn't think it was all that necessary and is just another level of complication
- Different order of events, such as rough cutting the escapement before peining and fitting infill before peining

Anyways, here is what you really wanted:

260970 260971

Tony Shea
04-26-2013, 9:42 PM
Very nice Brian. Good to see someone take inspiration from others on here. I may have to try this out on my own.

Andrew Nemeth
04-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Well done Brian! Have you had a chance to make and shavings? How well does it behave? An infill shoulder plane is on my short list. I appreciate seeing what you would do differently than Jeff as I plan on using his thread as a departure point myself.

-Andrew

Brent VanFossen
04-27-2013, 3:28 AM
Beautiful work! I don't see any shavings in the photos, though. Are you happy with the way it cuts?

Brian Thornock
04-27-2013, 9:49 PM
I did take shavings a few times. I didn't spend a ton of time adjusting it, so the shavings were typically slightly thicker than what I wanted, but still just fine. It sits in the hand very well and works wonders chamfering. I used a blade from Lee Valley (for the wooden rabbet plane, I just had to trim the head some), but the tang is a little narrow for my liking. On the whole it is a great plane. I just peined together one of my "real" goes and it's coming along well, though there have been a few minor hiccups.

As a side note, if you do one of these, make sure your drill bits are really the size they say they are. I tried a dozen different drill 1/8 bits and all of them were 3 mm +/- .02 mm, which is a far cry from 3.18 mm when you are dealing with rivets that are 3.15 mm in diameter. Anyway, that accounted for at least an hour of frustration for me today.

Matthew N. Masail
04-28-2013, 6:51 AM
looks great! looking forward to seeing the rest.

george wilson
04-28-2013, 9:40 AM
How did you make the knurled cap screw,Brian? The plane looks very nice.

Chris Griggs
04-28-2013, 10:45 AM
That's very cool. Looking forward to seeing future renditions.

Metod Alif
04-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Brian,
Nice design and workmanship. Elegant to my eyes. I appreciate your thinking/designing with less complication - at no loss of functionality.
Do not stop with this one.
Best wishes,
Metod

Brian Thornock
04-28-2013, 1:36 PM
George, the thumb screw was actually a clearance thumb screw from Bridge City. A fellow creeker sent it to me, for the which I am very grateful.

george wilson
04-28-2013, 2:21 PM
I make thumb screws if any one needs some.

Brian Thornock
04-28-2013, 4:59 PM
George, I may contact you for some upcoming ones. The ones I am currently working on I am going to try something off the shelf just to see, but the next couple after those I may need something a little flashier :) I will just have to see how it goes (and how agreeable the wife is to me making more, she thinks I'm addicted, but I can stop any time I want...)

don wilwol
04-28-2013, 7:55 PM
nice work. I love the style.

Jeff Wittrock
04-28-2013, 8:40 PM
Very nice plane Brian!
Those rounded contours really look like they will make for a comfortable plane.
There just isn't anything quite like making your own tools. I look forward to seeing more.

-Jeff

Brian Thornock
04-28-2013, 9:13 PM
Thanks Jeff. Sorry about mis-spelling your name, I probably should have looked it up first, oops.:o

Jeff Wittrock
04-29-2013, 8:44 PM
Ha, No problem Brian. Half the people who hear my name throw an "H" in there, and much more than half pronounce it wrong :).
When I was younger people just called me "Rock". I guess this was not only convenient but was also a reference to my less than towering intellect.