PDA

View Full Version : A great value in a turning jacket

Roger Chandler
04-26-2013, 2:48 PM
Ever since I started turning several years ago [9, I think] I have always disliked chips and curlees going down my neck and I cannot say how many shirts have become, well lets say "shop attire" because of glue spatters, finish stains, dyes etc.........

I never really liked some of the turning smocks I saw online or at some of the vendors........until I ran across this one......and I could not believe that it was about 1/2 the price of others I had seen.............I took a chance and got it in yesterday......can I tell you................"I LIKE IT!!!"

This might be a little heavy a fabric for some who have to turn in really hot environments during the summer, but it is a good quality fabric and well made.......closes around the neck and has heavy duty snaps to close it up front and on the sleeves as well. I got mine through Amazon.com, but it came from Peachtree Woodworking supply.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/Peach%20Graphics/4376_shirt.jpghttp://www.ptreeusa.com/Peach%20Graphics/4376_shirt.jpg

Those in need of a new one or a first one might want to check this out! :cool:

Jim Underwood
04-26-2013, 3:07 PM
Mine's fairly light weight, but it's still quite hot in the summer time here in Georgia. I'd like it to be heavier duty, but cool...

Maybe us turners need to design one and have it made?

Roger Chandler
04-26-2013, 5:08 PM
Mine's fairly light weight, but it's still quite hot in the summer time here in Georgia. I'd like it to be heavier duty, but cool...

Maybe us turners need to design one and have it made?

Jim......this one is not really all that heavy.........just the material has a tight weave to it........and it is long sleeve.

Noah Barfield
04-26-2013, 5:17 PM
That looks really nice! I have a long sleeve smock from Lee Valley. It too has lightweight material, however, the neck and cuffs have this long, black, synthetic elastic weave on them that picks up every speck and splinter. It makes wearing it fairly uncomfortable. I may have to order one of these Peachtree ones!

Rich Harkrader
04-27-2013, 8:00 PM
I have one of those BSX welding coats too. Mine is blue and black with flames on the side. Works great for turning. Definitely agree on this one.

Rich;)

Thom Sturgill
04-27-2013, 9:27 PM
Down here in Florida, just about anything is too hot. TLOML bought me one of the AAW smocks, which I think is about perfect.

Roger Chandler
04-27-2013, 9:29 PM
Down here in Florida, just about anything is too hot. TLOML bought me one of the AAW smocks, which I think is about perfect.

A short sleeve version might be nice in this if they had one!

Roger Chandler
04-27-2013, 9:44 PM
I have one of those BSX welding coats too. Mine is blue and black with flames on the side. Works great for turning. Definitely agree on this one.

Rich;)

Peachtree is promoting this particular version as a woodtuners jacket.......I don't know if there is any difference or not with the welding jackets.......they are both made by the same company as you noted....BSX.

David C. Roseman
04-28-2013, 9:34 AM
Peachtree is promoting this particular version as a woodtuners jacket.......I don't know if there is difference or not with the welding jackets.......they are both made by the same company as you noted....BSX.

I think they're the same, just a different color. Here's a link to a vendor who carries several different colors, including the khaki. Also looks like the same artwork used in your link and on other sites.
http://www.toughweld.com/products/1702-stryker-fr-welding-jacket-khaki

I looked at them at Woodcraft a few months ago, and may give one a try.

David

Rick Markham
04-29-2013, 3:07 AM
I got mine at woodcraft many moons ago. It's a nice smock, I don't for see ever being able to wear it out. It's a bit warm in the new shop however... I might just have to pull the sleeves off of mine... turner's vest... hmmm :eek::D

Roger Chandler
04-29-2013, 11:31 AM
I got mine at woodcraft many moons ago. It's a nice smock, I don't for see ever being able to wear it out. It's a bit warm in the new shop however... I might just have to pull the sleeves off of mine... turner's vest... hmmm :eek::D

Rick......is yours the BSX like it the picture above, or another brand?

David Weaver
04-29-2013, 5:18 PM
Maybe you guys who are too hot need to wear a dickey instead of a turning shirt.

Thom Sturgill
04-30-2013, 8:34 AM
Maybe you guys who are too hot need to wear a dickey instead of a turning shirt.

LOL, I have thought about just turning without a shirt, but then the dry shavings just stick to the sweat!

Jeff Gilfor
04-30-2013, 11:31 AM
This may sound silly, but I have three turning "jackets" that were made from old long-sleeve shirts I no longer wear (or would have ever worn again). Two are old denim "dress shirts" (went out of style many moons ago), and one is an ugly as sin plaid shirt my inlaws gave me years ago.

Secrets are:
- Cut off sleeves about mid forearm
- Cut off collar; leaving a sort of Henley-type collar with a top button to cinch up around the neck
- Cut off any chest pockets (they just fill up with chips anyway.
- Wear them tails out (that is, untucked in) to keep stuff out of my pants pockets and to protect my mobile phone (that's how my wife contacts me when I'm lost in the shop for hours at a time)

I keep them in my shop, and swap them out to be washed about once a week. They are light, comfy, and work very well for this purpose. Not much of a fashion statement though I'm afraid.

Dan Forman
04-30-2013, 12:35 PM
I have an apron that I wear, can't remember where I got it from, but the velcro closure neck is too big, had to take a tuck in it to get it tight enough to do the job. Under that during the cold months I have been wearing a thrift shop heavy flannel shirt of the proper neck size to keep shavings out (most shirts that fit my sleeves and shoulders are too small to get the top button buttoned, which I never do anyway except for turning). Between the shirt (untucked) and apron, i seldom get any debris in unwanted areas. I'll have to remember the bit about cutting off sleeves and pockets. This one is looking pretty ragged these days, so time to hit the thrift store again and see if I can find a replacement, and check out the "summer collection". :)

Dan

Robert Henrickson
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Secrets are:
- Cut off sleeves about mid forearm
- Cut off collar; leaving a sort of Henley-type collar with a top button to cinch up around the neck
- Cut off any chest pockets (they just fill up with chips anyway.
- Wear them tails out (that is, untucked in) to keep stuff out of my pants pocket

My approach also, aside from removing the collar. I've used old flannel shirts which had gone at the elbow. Since I have a basement shop, temperature is not a problem, and the shirts are rather threadbare as well.

Michael Mills
04-30-2013, 2:01 PM
This may sound silly, but I have three turning "jackets" that were made from old long-sleeve shirts I no longer wear.
I keep them in my shop, and swap them out to be washed about once a week. They are light, comfy, and work very well for this purpose. Not much of a fashion statement though I'm afraid.

I did similar and bought a Dickies work shirt 2X too large and tall.
Collar is tight enough but a velcro to tighten it may help.
Sleeves were cut off and the material used for honing pockets on the now short sleeves, a back pocket, and a loop at the waist for calipers when used. One pocket was sewn into slots for various markers which I was never be able to find.
I wash it a few times a year since it is worn over other clothing.

Oh, when I say I did similar I mean my wife and I (I gave directions for her sewing).

David DeCristoforo
04-30-2013, 4:17 PM
What I want to know is does it come with a matching tie and handkerchief?

Roger Chandler
04-30-2013, 5:08 PM
What I want to know is does it come with a matching tie and handkerchief?

No tie and handkerchief.........but I must say, I did look pretty sporty out there in the shop today!!! :D:rolleyes:;)

Dan Forman
04-30-2013, 5:13 PM
I prefer a cravat myself, can be used as a hankie in an emergency. :)

Dan

David C. Roseman
04-30-2013, 11:10 PM
I prefer a cravat myself, can be used as a hankie in an emergency. :)

Dan

Or a tourniquet. ;)

David