PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base for a Unisaw (are some better than others)??

Gary Thinglum
04-26-2013, 12:19 PM
I just purchased a Unisaw and would like to either, make or purchase a mobile base for it. Does anyone have plans to making one or am I just as well off to purchase one? Any idea's who makes the best one? If I decide to make one, what can I use to lock it in place when not moving it? I appreciate any input. Thanks , Gary

Rich Riddle
04-26-2013, 9:31 PM
What size table attaches to your new Unisaw? I just gave one to a friend last week that had the mobile base (Delta 50-289) in the following picture attached:

It proved sufficient for the cause. The saw moves side-to-side, not front-to-back. I prefer this over the Shop Fox brand or HTC.

Jacob Dahn
04-26-2013, 9:42 PM
The Rockler all terrain base is the nicest one I've found....but also expensive. I have them on a couple of my tools.

Michael Heffernan
04-26-2013, 9:54 PM
+1 for the Rockler All-Terrain base. I have one on my router table cabinet. I also got another one for my Steel City cabinet saw, but I have a 52" rail/fence on my saw. Rockler, AFIK, does not have an extension long enough to accommodate this setup. I'm going to build a cabinet on locking swivel casters for the extension table.
Right now I have the Delta 50-289 that Rich posted. It's a solid base, but a little tough to move around. You'll need a flat floor if you want to use the Delta.
Both cost about the same (200 bucks). Both will work, but I like the Rockler base better.

Cyrus Brewster 7
04-26-2013, 10:29 PM
+2 on the Rockler. I have one for my jointer.

Gary Thinglum
04-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks Rich, as much as I would love to have a side table on my saw, I do not have room for one in my shop. I want to build an out feed table but, this would fold up on the front. So, the only mobile base I would need is for the saw itself.

Cary Falk
04-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Here is on out of 5/4 oak. With Woodcraft double locking casters.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0306-1.jpg
Here is one welded using Woodcraft double locking casters.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0210.jpg

Gary Thinglum
04-27-2013, 8:30 AM
Nice job on both of them Cary. On the welded on, what did you use to stop it from moving when it is in the "locked" position? It looks like you have a locking foot of some type. The casters I purchased have the locking lever but, I would also like to have another lock on the mobile dolly. Gary

Cary Falk
04-27-2013, 9:08 AM
Gary,
I made a locking foot with some nuts, washers, and all thread. The casters lock so well that I don't need them.