PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for Small dovetails? (and Lee Valley detail chisels)

Andrew Pitonyak
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
I read the following thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201021-PM-V11-in-1-8-quot-Would-you-get-one

And the following things jumped out at me:

Am I the only one holding back from jumping into the PM-V11 world because there's no 1/8"?

I want these in PM-V11 as well. The sizes 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" are the ones I use most frequently for dovetail tails.

I want a 1/8" for chopping out small dovetails. Today I use a LN 1/8" chisel for that.

I have every 1/16" from 1/8" to 1/2" then every 1/8" to 1".

For my string inlay I actually use a 1/32"chisel from Blue Spruce, which I love.

Admittedly my needs are for special uses, but I use a 3/16 chisel regularly, in fact more than a 1/4" or 3/8". One of my friends who does a lot of string inlay uses a 1/8" chisel on almost every project and uses a 1/16" chisel even more. It all comes down to what types of work you do.

Let me start by saying that I am waiting for the promised smaller PM-V11 chisels, I already have the rest of the set.... I have a Stanley Sweet Heart 1/8" that works well.

When I make small dovetails, I pull out that Stanley chisel, as well as my the Lee Valley detail chisels

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=46035&cat=1,41504

Side note: I did not know that Blue Spruce made a 1/32" chisel until I read it here.

What do you use for cutting small dovetails? Does anyone els use the Lee Valley detail chisels? What else do you do with the smaller detail chisels?

David Weaver
04-26-2013, 12:18 PM
A 1/8th chisel, any type is fine. If there ever was something you could make on your own, a chisel like that is it. You're never going to go deep depth with it and you're never going to hit it that hard.

Mike Henderson
04-26-2013, 2:24 PM
David's correct that for many applications, any type of steel will make a good 1/8" (or smaller) chisel. I'm waiting for the LV PM-V11 1/8" chisel because I sometime make dovetails with small pins and need a small chisel, like a 1/8", to clean out between the tails. For that application, I am hitting the 1/8" chisel to chop through the wood and I found that the LV PM-V11 chisels held an edge longer than other types of steel.

It's not one of those required tools, however. I've been making them with my LN A2 1/8" and it works fine. It's just a question of how long the edge holds up and how often I have to go back to the stones. In the larger sizes of chisels, I found that the PM-V11 chisels held up longer.

And just a comment on a separate subject, the smallest chisel I have is a 2mm Hirsch. That's slightly wider than a 1/16".

Mike

Andrew Pitonyak
04-26-2013, 4:03 PM
One thing that I particularly like about the "detail chisels" is that they have some that are thin and wide. Not always the most useful chisel, but if you have a bump that you want to take out while cutting in from the end, it works well. I will admit that this is less of a need as my technique improves -- and I have improved a lot since I last made a small set of dovetails.

Chris Griggs
04-26-2013, 4:28 PM
I've been thinking about getting these in the 1/16 and 1/8.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TBBC/item/IL-100-30.XX/Round_Back_Dovetail_Chisels_by_Ashley_Iles

Andrew Pitonyak
04-26-2013, 7:49 PM
Interesting.... a name that I know and like.... and they have both 1/16 and 1/8.

Ron Brese
04-26-2013, 8:37 PM
Czeck Edge Dovetail chisels are made specifically for dovetails and the shorter lengths helps keep everything within the same line of sight, which is especially helpful if you're using a mallet.

http://czeckedge.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=46

Ron

Sean D Evans
04-26-2013, 11:08 PM
I have a 1/8" and 1/4" LV detail chisels. I use them for paring cuts on dovetails (which they are fine for) and very little else. If I had a good 1/8" bench chisel then I wouldn't miss either of the LV chisels if they vanished from my toolbox.
I did grind down a blue plastic handled Irwin chisel to 1/8". It works but is ugly.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-27-2013, 1:22 AM
Czeck Edge Dovetail chisels are made specifically for dovetails and the shorter lengths helps keep everything within the same line of sight, which is especially helpful if you're using a mallet.

Interesting set... Based on some other chisels that I like, I expect that I would enjoy those very much. Did they ever have anything narrower than 1/2"?

Andrew Pitonyak
04-27-2013, 1:24 AM
I have a 1/8" and 1/4" LV detail chisels. I use them for paring cuts on dovetails (which they are fine for) and very little else. If I had a good 1/8" bench chisel then I wouldn't miss either of the LV chisels if they vanished from my toolbox.
I did grind down a blue plastic handled Irwin chisel to 1/8". It works but is ugly.

I considered grinding down my own, but fear that it would probably make your ugly chisel look like beautiful princess.... and mine would probably have no temper left in it :-)

For really small dovetails, I think that I would still miss the detail set because of the really thin chisel.

david charlesworth
04-27-2013, 9:23 AM
A reground jigsaw blade makes a good small chisel. I wanted to inlay a small equilateral triangle, so ground the edges to just under 60 degrees. The bulk was wound with tape and it could be tapped with a hammer.

Best wishes,
David