PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley veneer saw... anyone used it?

Dan Carroll
04-26-2013, 8:55 AM
I have a repair project that is going to require fitting veneer. Has anyone used the Lee Valley 50 tooth veneer saw? Other tools for getting clean cuts with veneer? This is going to be hammer veneer with hide glue so any hints there would be helpful. Thanks for the collective wisdom.

Larry Temins
04-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I think you will find that veneer saw is most suitable for cross graining cutting because of the fine teeth setting. for long grain cuts I use a courser saw or a knife.

Greg Wease
04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
I have tried the 50 tooth saw and it cuts very slowly--much too slowly for me. It's much more expensive but have you considered the Gramercy saw?

Let me add a few more words. My saw of choice is the standard "German pattern" saw with the offset handle. It does require shaping with a flat file, saw file and a flattening stone/plate and you can't hold it left-handed. But it is relatively inexpensive and works well for cutting with and across the grain when tuned. It's my favorite because I'm used to it and know how to sharpen but it isn't the only way to go.

If you don't want to take the time to prepare a saw, or are left-handed, I recommend the Gramercy saw: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-VSAW.XX
Several of my students have tried it and won't use anything else.

Last fall in a class of about 20 beginning veneering students there were a few who tried and discarded saws (impatient?) in favor of rotary cutters such as are used for fabric. They work amazingly well both right- and left-handed. They should be used on a resilient mat.

Good luck with your cutting.

Mike Henderson
04-26-2013, 3:00 PM
I just use a regular veneer saw, like this one (http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/L5202200.htm). I use it for cutting both across the grain and with the grain. To perfect your fit, you can make a sanding block. Take a piece of MDF and glue a piece of 150 to 180 grit sandpaper to it. After making your cut, you can use the sanding block along the edge to perfect the edge.

As Greg mentioned, these saws usually need to be sharpened (but you can buy one sharpened at Joe Woodworker, I believe). It's not difficult to sharpen one - just look on the web and you'll probably find instructions, maybe even a video.

Mike

thomas eaves
04-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Looks nice for the money my only concern would be sharpening it wend it start to dull. I use the two cherry styles myself. How large is the piece you are repairing?
Tom