PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls #5 Parts Source

Adrian Ponik
04-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone.

So I recently got a MF #5 hand drill on the bay to rehab. Got it all apart, cleaned the rust off, and was starting to paint. That's when the main gear took a tumble off the workbench and a piece of the rim chipped out :(

Does anyone know of a place I can get the part? I've been looking for donors, but most of the #5s I've seen recently are complete enough I would feel bad scavenging them for parts (or have a cracked/broken main gear). I've already checked with Wiktor Kuc hoping he would have one, but no luck. Anyone else have an idea where else I can look? Thanks.

-Adrian

Erik Manchester
04-26-2013, 5:56 AM
Adrian,

There are different types of No 5 drills depending upon when it was made, so posting pictures would help determine exactly what you are looking for. There are so many of these on e-Bay that I would just bid low on one until you win it.

If you have not damaged the gears, yours may be perfectly usable, and if the chip is in one piece you can use JB Weld to cement it back quite easily.

Mark Wyatt
04-28-2013, 6:49 PM
If you can post a picture I can search my parts bin for a donor.

Adrian Ponik
04-29-2013, 7:33 PM
Here's a pic of the break. Not sure if it is reparable. If you look closely, it looks like there is a crack going towards the spoke too:

Pic from further back:

Here is a better pic that should help with the typing:

and with handle in place:

And what it is meant to be put onto:

Any help would be much appreciated.

As an aside, I think I'm a ball bearing short. I had 3 when I opened it up, and I think there should be 4. I measured the ones I have, they appear to be just under 0.125 inches. This sound right? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

-Adrian

george wilson
04-29-2013, 9:57 PM
That gear looks like aluminum or pot metal. They sell a special welding rod kit for soldering such things. I have used them. They melt at very low temps,but so does pot metal! At gun shows there is frequently someone demonstrating welding up holes in soda cans. I can tell you,the welding gets MUCH trickier as the part gets thicker. Your gear isn't too thick,though. I'd experiment first if I were you. By the way,those rods are VERY hard metal,whatever they are made of,so you don't want to make a messy job with lots of excess rod onm the job.

B B's are within .001" of round. They are .177" diameter. Otherwise,find a ball bearing assembly and break it open to get the balls. You could try sawing one with a Dremel cutoff abrasive disc(or a few of them!! You just need to cut the outer ring. You can buy balls,but only in large quantities which you will never use. I think the BB's would work,if they aren't too large and rub against the shaft. Low speed,after all.

Cody Cantrell
04-30-2013, 8:42 AM
I believe the castings on these are made of malleable iron. I have a MF #05 dissassembled right now with the star logo and it has 4 ball bearings. I have bought .125" ball bearings for these drills at Westlakes Ace Hardware for $.20-.30 I believe Fastenal also sells bearings. Good luck.

Cody Cantrell