PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Leeson or a Baldor for a t/s motor?

Troy Turner
04-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Searching around, there are hit and miss topics about which is “better”. From what I’ve read, Baldor is at the top of the list with Leeson a close second.

Reason I’m looking is because the motor on my 80’s craftsman saw has a bad bearing. The guy at the motor shop said the ball bearing was easily replaceable, but the sleeve bearing is what’s getting ready to go and those aren’t. It has a subtle yet annoying vibration that will shake wood and tools from the extension tables. He checked the shaft and it was straight.

Looking around, I can get both in a 1hp, but I can get the Leeson shipped to the house for $200 and the Baldor shipped to the house for $240. I’m all about saving a buck, but would I be doing myself an injustice saving $40?

Both are made in the US and that’s one of the reasons I’m after them.

Thought I'd check in and get ya'll's opinion before I pulled the trigger on one.

David Kumm
04-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Probably a horse apiece in a one hp motor. I'm surprised they are both still made here as both companies now source some smaller motors overseas. Dave

Cary Falk
04-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Be careful. Not all Leesons are made in the USA. I'm not sure about Baldor. Did you check here? I put a 2hp Lincoln in my sander and am happy. They are suppose to be made in the USA.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=electric&keyword=MBAD

Troy Turner
04-25-2013, 10:16 PM
I made sure that both of these were US made. From what I'd read, both companies make from overseas. Took some diggin and I asked both suppliers where they were made.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I have a 3 HP Baldor on my DC and it has worked well. I have never had a Leeson but I have not heard anything bad about them. I suspect either would serve you well.

Karl Card
04-26-2013, 3:25 AM
I would have to ask how often do you use your saw? If it went down would you be in trouble. Do both have the same warranty? I have a 2 hp leeson on my DC and I am very happy with it. I beleive it would suck the chrome off of a bumper. On my table saw though I use a 7.5 hp, and I believe it is a baldor, but I got a great deal on it.

Troy Turner
04-26-2013, 7:01 AM
Karl - I'm a hobbyist who likes to get a much time as I can. Usually just the weekends unless I want to squeeze some time in after work.

Steve Rost
04-26-2013, 8:08 AM
Either should serve you well. I am a Baldor fan, but as you said Leeson is a close second. I have Baldors.

Mike Heidrick
04-26-2013, 8:30 AM
Either will be fine. I like Baldors and betting resale is better (maybe $40 better but YMMV) with a Baldor.

Troy Turner
04-26-2013, 8:36 AM
Looked at them some more...Looks like the Leeson doesn't have thermal overload protection. Probably not a game changer, but now I'm leaning on the Baldor more. Just hate I have to order either and wait :rolleyes:

Ole Anderson
04-26-2013, 8:37 AM
I have replaced old motors on both my 6x48 belt sander and my 6" jointer with Dayton TEFC 1 hp motors from Grainger, been very happy. But thenmy son worked there and could get the employee discount. To answer your question, Baldor seems to be the standard.

Rod Sheridan
04-26-2013, 8:49 AM
Looked at them some more...Looks like the Leeson does have thermal overload protection. Probably not a game changer, but now I'm leaning on the Baldor more. Just hate I have to order either and wait :rolleyes:

Troy, if your saw doesn't have thermal overload protection for the motor, you'll need a thermally protected motor.

I presume the original motor does have thermal protection?

Regards, Rod.

Troy Turner
04-26-2013, 9:02 AM
Rod - Had to go back and edit my post. Meant to say the Leeson doesn't have the overload protection...

I don't see a switch or anything on the motor now. It's the original 80's motor.

Jeff Duncan
04-26-2013, 9:55 AM
The reality is once you put it on the saw your not going to know the difference. A good quality motor is a good quality motor, and I'd hazard a guess either of those motors will be of better quality than what came on that saw originally. I have a fair amount of motors in my shop and even the cheapest of them gets the job done and pays the bills;)

So in short which one of two good quality motors would I buy?, well the one I could get easiest and cheapest of course:D

good luck,
JeffD

Stephen Cherry
04-26-2013, 10:56 AM
The reality is once you put it on the saw your not going to know the difference. A good quality motor is a good quality motor, and I'd hazard a guess either of those motors will be of better quality than what came on that saw originally. I have a fair amount of motors in my shop and even the cheapest of them gets the job done and pays the bills;)

So in short which one of two good quality motors would I buy?, well the one I could get easiest and cheapest of course:D

good luck,
JeffD

That's the right answer. When I worked in chem and pharmaceutical processing field, Baldor was considered to be the "cheap" motor. But guess what, they turn for a good long time. For a hobby shop, it's likely to be forever. Same for the Leeson.

I'd start looking on fleabay or craigslist for a 2 or 3 hp, if it will fit. They will come up, and for cheap. With single phase, you need to make sure that it can turn the right way.

Bill Geibe
04-26-2013, 11:20 AM
I put a new 3 HP Leeson on my Unisaw a couple years ago (from www.electricmotorsite.com) and it's been a great motor. I think Baldor is arguably considered to be the better motor but the price difference at that time was enormous. You probably can't go wrong either way but check out the thermal overload situation. Is there separate overload protection on the saw somewhere near the power switch?

Bill

Scott T Smith
04-26-2013, 5:05 PM
They are both good companies. Leeson was founded by the son of the founder of Baldor. Baldor has better name recognition than Leeson, but you won't go wrong with either one (or a Dayton, or US Motor, or Lincoln Electric for that matter).

Troy Turner
04-26-2013, 10:52 PM
They are both good companies. Leeson was founded by the son of the founder of Baldor. Baldor has better name recognition than Leeson, but you won't go wrong with either one (or a Dayton, or US Motor, or Lincoln Electric for that matter).

Now that's interesting! I appreciate everyone's inputs. $237 dollars later, I have a Baldor L1309A on the way. That and some machined pulleys and I will hopefully get some more years out of the old saw :D

ed vitanovec
04-27-2013, 12:36 AM
They both are good companies, I think it would boil down to your personal preference. My 5 HP Lesson which is mounted on my Woodmaster 718 is a brute.

Rich Engelhardt
04-27-2013, 3:47 AM
$237 dollars later, I have a Baldor L1309A on the way.
To get real nit-picky....
If you hang onto the saw another 10 years, the Baldor is going ro break down to an extra 7 cents a weekend....
;)

Dan Hintz
04-29-2013, 7:57 AM
Now that's interesting! I appreciate everyone's inputs. $237 dollars later, I have a Baldor L1309A on the way. That and some machined pulleys and I will hopefully get some more years out of the old saw :D

I'm surprised you didn't take me up on my offer, Troy... you could have had a 2HP Baldor with pulley for the same price.

Troy Turner
04-29-2013, 9:42 AM
:( PMd you back. Didn't know I had a notification til you said something. Used to pop-up everytime you visited the page.