PDA

View Full Version : Picnic Table Material

BOB OLINGER
04-25-2013, 5:06 PM
My daughter asked my advice on choosing a wood for an outside picnic table. My first reaction was red wood. Am I missing any other good or better choices. She lives in central Iowa should that influence the optons.

Jim Tabor
04-25-2013, 8:09 PM
Cedar, Cypress, or White Oak.

Lee Schierer
04-25-2013, 9:59 PM
Make the frame from treated lumber and then cover the top with One of the various plastic lumber decking products. Here's mine. 260905

Steve Friedman
04-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Make the frame from treated lumber and then cover the top with One of the various plastic lumber decking products. Here's mine. 260905
Lee, I have thought of using the PVC decking for a picnic table and wonder why you would use PT lumber for the base instead of making the whole think out of the decking material. Is it just not rigid enough?

Steve

Jerry Miner
04-26-2013, 12:24 AM
My first reaction was red wood.

I live in CA, redwood country. But the quality of redwood lumber has declined quite a bit from the "good old days." We now usually specify western red cedar for outdoor projects. We just see much better material in cedar these days. Check your local supply. White oak or cypress are also good choices.

mike holden
04-26-2013, 10:52 AM
I have a redwood picnic table that my parents bought in the early 60's.
It has lived outdoors in Michigan seasons, snow, rain, the occasional sunshine for almost 50 years and while a bit grayish, it is still solid.
YMMV, but, I would vote for redwood.
Mike

Lee Schierer
04-26-2013, 1:10 PM
Lee, I have thought of using the PVC decking for a picnic table and wonder why you would use PT lumber for the base instead of making the whole think out of the decking material. Is it just not rigid enough?

Steve
PVC decking is not rated for structural loads and generally can't span more than 12 inches.

Steve Friedman
04-26-2013, 1:27 PM
PVC decking is not rated for structural loads and generally can't span more than 12 inches.
Thanks. Didn't know that. Off topic, but when used for decking, does that mean the deck joists need to be only 12" apart? There goes my idea of replacing my decking with the PVC stuff.

Steve

Rick Moyer
04-26-2013, 5:23 PM
Thanks. Didn't know that. Off topic, but when used for decking, does that mean the deck joists need to be only 12" apart? There goes my idea of replacing my decking with the PVC stuff.

Steve
I don't know if it's required, someone else will know, but I would recommend 12" for it. btw, redwood is great but prohibitively exspensive around here.

Lee Schierer
04-26-2013, 8:08 PM
I don't know if it's required, someone else will know, but I would recommend 12" for it. btw, redwood is great but prohibitively exspensive around here.

You need to check with the material manufacturer. My Veranda decking specified 12" centers.

Andrew Kertesz
04-27-2013, 7:03 AM
If she is not looking for a specific style or look, I bought a collapsible steel frame and PVC top and seat benches for about $110.00 at my local Sam's club. Your material cost is going to be more than that. I know it is not the same as building your own but it saved a lot of time and money.