PDA

View Full Version : Cornermate Hole Punch Tricks of the Trade

Mark Sipes
04-25-2013, 4:03 PM
I have had the popular Cornermate punch for 16 years and the decrotive corners have worked like a charm. The one area that frustrates me in lining up the center holes for plates. I do lots of plates that are 1.25, .875 and .5 in width and need to find the centers . I tried scribing lines on the table but that is not accurate. Anyone have a great solution to the problem?

Thanks

http://www.accucutter.com/WEB%20CM40A%20(New%20Post)%20&%20Unit.jpg

Bill Cunningham
04-25-2013, 10:07 PM
If your laser etching the plates, then etch the spot where the holes go. I do this with cermark when marking stainless so I can centerpunch the right spot and drill the holes.

Mark Sipes
04-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Wow I guess I am the only shop with a Cornermate that uses the center hole punch on metal plates.

Mike Null
04-26-2013, 7:31 AM
No, it's just that the rest of us don't have an answer. I use my tri-focals and come fairly close.;)

Tony Lenkic
04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
This is what I rigged up for hole punching. It comes with 7 dies.

Mark Sipes
04-28-2013, 7:12 PM
Well just finished making a set of jigs that install into the 1" + corner/2 hole punch slider. the fit is snug so I know I have the center of the Hole punch. Used the laser and made jigs that will center from 1/2" up to 1 1/2" plates ( 1/16" interval). Should have thought of this years ago. Necessity is the mother of ..........;)

Martin Boekers
04-29-2013, 1:03 AM
This is what I rigged up for hole punching. It comes with 7 dies.

I have something similar just haven't made a table for it. I am thinking about just making a "centering ruler" decal
to use for alignment. Back in my old photo days I used to have a register punch for registering "litho traps" for multi image work.
They cost a fortune back then. Thanks to the digital age they are no longer needed. :) The one thing they had was centering guides
That would move in from both sides to center the piece. I am sure they be had cheaply now with a bit of research. You still would have to
modify a punch as the ones that came with it were for paper and film. I am surprised that Cornermate hasn't devised something.
I have an older punch. Still being made by Main Trophy, it's a strange little device. it does have a slide though for punching holes.

Mike Null
04-29-2013, 6:01 AM
Mark

Let's see your solution.

Albert Nix
04-29-2013, 7:22 AM
Nice Tony, I like it when folks tools that work and look well.

Kathy Madan
04-29-2013, 8:11 PM
Mark,
We have that same corner punch with the same problem. I hate it for hole punching and usually drill press them. My husband likes it for one/two type plates but rarely gets them centered correctly. I would love to see your solution, or even have you make another one for me that I can buy from you.

Kathy

Mark Sipes
04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
This should be fairly self explanitory.
A picture is worth a ........
Use the laser and cut the top section so it fits snugly into the part the hole/corner punch fits. the bottom of the jig is cut to the width of the plate centered to the top section. Use a piece of scrap to create a straight edge so the actual plate can be positioned centered to the hole punch. Replace jig with the actual hole punch template . "punch" flip plate end over end "punch" again...

Kathy Madan
05-06-2013, 7:12 PM
Very nice! Thanks Mark, a picture IS worth a thousand words. (plus I like visual aids :)

Martin Boekers
05-07-2013, 9:37 AM
This should be fairly self explanitory.
A picture is worth a ........
Use the laser and cut the top section so it fits snugly into the part the hole/corner punch fits. the bottom of the jig is cut to the width of the plate centered to the top section. Use a piece of scrap to create a straight edge so the actual plate can be positioned centered to the hole punch. Replace jig with the actual hole punch template . "punch" flip plate end over end "punch" again...

Ahhhhhhhh....they genius of SMCreekers! :D