PDA

View Full Version : Disston D10??

Mike Holbrook
04-25-2013, 12:40 PM
I have this Disston saw I can not identify. I can see a strange extra wide D, right where the D is in a D8. The plate and handle have plenty of information that identifies the saw as a Disston although age, rust & discoloration obscure significant parts of the info on the plate. Inside that wide D I can see 10**. The ** appears to be another number or letter or two. The handle is in much better shape than the plate. The handle is similar to my D8 handle except there is etching very much like the etching on my #12 or #16 handles. The aging on the saw seems to indicate it is old but relatively untampered with. I think the saw came in a small group of saws I bought early on, just to have something to learn on. The plate is 24", 11 PPI, sway back. The plate has bends and pitting so I have not yet tried to restore it for shop use. The plate is so dark I don't think I can get a picture that will reveal what I am looking at.

I am trying to figure out if I should practice on this possibly rare saw or put some time into restoring it.

Joe Bailey
04-25-2013, 1:17 PM
You're probably trying to describe a D-100, since I don't think an Acme 120 is inscribed within a "D".
Pictures would've been a nice touch ...

David Weaver
04-25-2013, 1:26 PM
I agree. D100, you don't need to show us the etch. If it looks like a D8 with some of the wheat notching in the handle, and it says D-10#, it'll be a d 100.

It's not as common as a D8, but it's not especially rare, either. Condition would dictate, and if it's pitted at 11tpi, it's suitable really only for crosscutting and pitting negates that. Have at it.

Mike Holbrook
04-25-2013, 2:33 PM
I did find the D-100 at the Disstonian Institute. I thought there was another digit for a total of 4 instead of 3 digits and what came after that first 0 did not look like another 0. Now that I study the picture at Disstonian the second 0 looks more like a D than a 0, straight left side of digit. The handle on mine is a dead ringer for the D 100 pictures at Disstonian. It probably is a D 100. The D 100 certainly has that elongated D in the etch like mine does. I took pictures but my main computer is having issues that I have not been able to resolve and it has all my passwords, Flicker account info....Maybe I can post a picture later. The pictures are better than I thought they would be, nice camera on the iPhone 5.

Andrew Nemeth
04-25-2013, 5:58 PM
Mike,
It's easy to add photos right from your iPhone with forum the forum runner app. I know it's not free but I think it is only a buck or two in the app store and it makes browsing and uploading content much easier on small mobile devices.
-Andrew

Mike Holbrook
04-26-2013, 12:54 AM
So Andrew, here I am on Forum Runner on my iPhone. Hmm looks like three pictures uploaded from the phone but I do not see them? They show up when I post though. I went back to my iBook Pro to type a little better & faster. Thanks for the tip, yes there is an app for this too ;-) Next I will try it on an iPad. Hope the pictures illustrate why I thought there might be a digit or two that were not a second 0. The pictures do not show the back side of the saw where the pitting is, yea yea I should take a picture of that side too..Great app!