PDA

View Full Version : Retail businesses giving priority to phone calls

Chris Rosenberger
04-25-2013, 9:14 AM
We hear all of the time about brick & mortar businesses complaining about customers buying off of the internet.
Many times when I am in a small business store, the person waiting on me will make me wait while they take business related phone calls.

Yesterday I was in a store & the person took 3 calls while I was trying to buy a high priced piece of equipment. The first 2 calls were quick, the third call lasted several minutes, with the clerk going to different parts of the store & appeared to be checking if items were in stock. I finally had enough & walked out.

This store is 1 1/2 hours from my shop, I will say I did not make a special trip as I had a meeting near there but I was prepared to take the equipment home with me.
I could have just ordered the item off of the internet, but I wanted to see the item before purchasing it. I never got to see the item, because they did not have one on display. They did have some in the warehouse.

So why do businesses that complain about customers not coming into their stores, give priority to customers that are not in their store?

Chuck Wintle
04-25-2013, 9:26 AM
We hear all of the time about brick & mortar businesses complaining about customers buying off of the internet.
Many times when I am in a small business store, the person waiting on me will make me wait while they take business related phone calls.

Yesterday I was in a store & the person took 3 calls while I was trying to buy a high priced piece of equipment. The first 2 calls were quick, the third call lasted several minutes, with the clerk going to different parts of the store & appeared to be checking if items were in stock. I finally had enough & walked out.

This store is 1 1/2 hours from my shop, I will say I did not make a special trip as I had a meeting near there but I was prepared to take the equipment home with me.
I could have just ordered the item off of the internet, but I wanted to see the item before purchasing it. I never got to see the item, because they did not have one on display. They did have some in the warehouse.

So why do businesses that complain about customers not coming into their stores, give priority to customers that are not in their store?

had that happen to me many times in various stores...sometimes i waited but usually got fed up and left the store. You are so right about in store service...sometimes they simply do not know how to take care of customers. Had that happen a few times while trying to buy a car...i went to another dealer.

Charles Wiggins
04-25-2013, 9:30 AM

That one has befuddled me for years. I was taught early on that a person standing in front of you is your priority. The phone can ring. If it's important they will leave a message or call back. In this day of caller ID and voicemail I don't understand why someone would risk losing the bird in the hand to go after the two in the bush.

And it is even worse now, because some folks have gotten used to always being connected. They cannot seem to resist answering a phone call or text right away. I've been out and seen folks who spent an entire meal on the phone even though they had a dining partner, including one kid who dropped his phone and his food at a buffet because he could not hang up long enough to serve his plate properly.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-25-2013, 9:48 AM
The other side to this can be seen in my office often. It's not uncommon to have more tasks than people, and the phones need answered always. You can take a number and call back though.

Chris Rosenberger
04-25-2013, 10:00 AM
The other side to this can be seen in my office often. It's not uncommon to have more tasks than people, and the phones need answered always. You can take a number and call back though.

I was referring to a small business with few people staffing it.

I have also had this happen at a fast food restaurants with drive a through. If they are understaffed, they take care of the drive through first.

David Weaver
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
I would be willing to bet either the owner has read something about what generates the most initial revenue. I can imagine they think they have you in the store and you're not going to leave because you made the effort to go there, but if you make the caller hold, they'll just call someone else.

When i call somewhere, I never mind holding as long as someone gets back to me (people do often forget about the calls they have on hold), but it really irritates me to stand in a store for five minutes while someone runs around handling calls that came after you got there and you're standing at their counter. It's disrespectful of your time.

Keith Westfall
04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
My dad one time, while at the counter when the phone rang, was asked: "you don't mind if I take this do you?"

His reply: "Yes I do."

He ended up being served first!

The phone is the big elephant in the room - if not managed properly, your business will suffer...

Phil Thien
04-25-2013, 10:49 AM
LOL, maybe the clerk thought the OP was showrooming. [Showrooming is the practice of examining merchandise in a traditional brick and mortar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_and_mortar) retail store without purchasing it, but then shopping online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_online) to find a lower price for the same item.]

So, maybe their business model is to talk to people on the phone, get them interested enough that they come INTO the shop, where they assume the prospect must be showrooming, so they are ignored.

Chuck Wintle
04-25-2013, 11:14 AM
LOL, maybe the clerk thought the OP was showrooming. [Showrooming is the practice of examining merchandise in a traditional brick and mortar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_and_mortar) retail store without purchasing it, but then shopping online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_online) to find a lower price for the same item.]

So, maybe their business model is to talk to people on the phone, get them interested enough that they come INTO the shop, where they assume the prospect must be showrooming, so they are ignored.

one thing that should come into play is salesmanship at this point. once the customer has seen the merchandise then the merchant should try and close the sale. Why they let a paying customer walk out the door is beyond me assuming the merchandise is equivalent.

Chris Rosenberger
04-25-2013, 12:02 PM

If business models are built on that, then brick & mortar stores are in more trouble than I thought.
The worst thing any sales person can do is profile customers.

Just on a side note. There is an upscale mall connected to the hotel I am staying at. The mall has an Apple Store. I walked through the mall Tuesday evening, I saw very few people in the mall or stores. That was until I passed the Apple Store. The Apple Store was packed. I thought maybe they were having a special event & just kept walking.

I walked through the mall again last night, again there were very few people in the mall, again the Apple Store was packed. This time I went in. I was welcomed at the door & asked what I needed, I stated I needed nothing & was just looking. I was shown where the different Apple products were displayed. Later someone else asked if I had any questions. I asked a few questions & they took time to answer them. I do not own any Apple products, but I left there thinking about maybe buying some in the future.

Mark Bolton
04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
For me it depends on the business. If its large enough business where they could have a couple inside sales people answering all the calls leaving the counter business to ye counter staff that's one thing. But I'm much more accommodating to a small business with few staff wearing all the hats.

I often say "you can go ahead nd take that if you need to". Perhaps I have a different perspective being in business myself. While te customer always wants the instant full attention it is often times the places where you don't get that who have the best stuff and the most knowledge.

Rick Christopherson
04-25-2013, 12:23 PM
I disagree. Both are potential sales and both are potential walk-outs. The difference is the person in the store can actually see what's happening, but the person on the other end of an unanswered phone can't.

However, if the clerk was actually interacting with you directly, and then walked away to check stock for a phone call, that was wrong. It is one thing to answer a simple question on the phone. It is quite another to walk away. That would be rude and inexcusable, and I have had that happen.

I also feel it is the responsibility of the customer to weigh how much of a burden they will be on the staff compared to other customers. No, that is not for consideration of the staff. It is consideration for the other customers. No one customer should feel as though they are more important than the next customer, and that includes whether they are on the phone or at the store.

If I am standing at a busy counter with questions about a product, and I see someone step up with product in-hand, I will step aside and tell them to assist the other person first. The same is true if the phone rings. That's just courtesy for the other customers.

Chris didn't say whether he was in the middle of the purchase, or whether he was wanting them to bring the product from the warehouse for him to look at first. If it was the latter, that posses a significant burden. That situation would call for having a little extra patience to allow a few shorter transactions to get cleared first.

Steve Peterson
04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Just on a side note. There is an upscale mall connected to the hotel I am staying at. The mall has an Apple Store. I walked through the mall Tuesday evening, I saw very few people in the mall or stores. That was until I passed the Apple Store. The Apple Store was packed. I thought maybe they were having a special event & just kept walking.

I walked through the mall again last night, again there were very few people in the mall, again the Apple Store was packed. This time I went in. I was welcomed at the door & asked what I needed, I stated I needed nothing & was just looking. I was shown where the different Apple products were displayed. Later someone else asked if I had any questions. I asked a few questions & they took time to answer them. I do not own any Apple products, but I left there thinking about maybe buying some in the future.

I agree that Apple is a master at marketting. The other thing in favor of the Apple stores is that the price is the same everywhere. There is no savings by ordering it off the internet, except possibly no sales tax.

Steve

Mike Henderson
04-25-2013, 1:27 PM
I was referring to a small business with few people staffing it.

I have also had this happen at a fast food restaurants with drive a through. If they are understaffed, they take care of the drive through first.
Yep, I've noticed that also. The reason is that the chain (the owners) monitors how long it takes between an order and serving on the drive through and puts a higher priority on that than on service in the store. Since the manager's bonus is based on those metrics, that's what they prioritize.

Mike

Phil Thien
04-25-2013, 2:53 PM
Okay, here is a test for you guys (some of you are business owners, but everyone is welcome to play).

There is no right answer, although I suppose some answers are wrong.

My primary work is business IT. But I still keep a retail shop because I've always had one, and it is convenient.

I have a guy come in last week, and ask about changing his notebook's hard drive out for a SSD drive. I get him some pricing on the part, data xfer, etc. Answer some questions, he leaves.

Yesterday, he comes in about fifteen minutes before closing and I'm the only one here.

He says he has a couple of follow-up questions. But the "follow-up" questions clearly indicate to me that he already purchased the drive elsewhere, and is trying to install it himself, and he is having some difficulty, LOL.

So anyway, he is trying to phrase his questions to avoid me figuring this out (too late) when the phone rings and the caller ID indicates it is a good customer (business customer).

So the question, the test, is: WHAT WOULD YOU do in this situation?

Chuck Wintle
04-25-2013, 3:58 PM
Okay, here is a test for you guys (some of you are business owners, but everyone is welcome to play).

My primary work is business IT. But I still keep a retail shop because I've always had one, and it is convenient.

I have a guy come in last week, and ask about changing his notebook's hard drive out for a SSD drive. I get him some pricing on the part, data xfer, etc. Answer some questions, he leaves.

Yesterday, he comes in about fifteen minutes before closing and I'm the only one here.

He says he has a couple of follow-up questions. But the "follow-up" questions clearly indicate to me that he already purchased the drive elsewhere, and is trying to install it himself, and he is having some difficulty, LOL.

So anyway, he is trying to phrase his questions to avoid me figuring this out (too late) when the phone rings and the caller ID indicates it is a good customer (business customer).

this is a difficult question...as a good business owner a quote to repair perhaps should have been offered? once you figured out what was going on this would happen. And yes I would have taken the call in this case. there is no clear answer to the fundamental problem.

Chris Padilla
04-25-2013, 4:08 PM
Phil,

I think you can still call the person back who called you. If they are a good customer, they obviously like you and can handle a (likely) small time delay. Perhaps upon figuring out the alternative motives of the walk-up customer, you could have offered a quote to get his SSD installed properly.

Chris Rosenberger
04-25-2013, 4:11 PM

So anyway, as he is trying to phrase his questions to avoid me figuring this out (too late) when the phone rings and the caller ID indicates it is a good customer (business customer).

With all of that information, that is an easy answer, go with the caller.

Rick,

They did not have the item I wanted on display. The salesman said they may have some in the warehouse. I said I want to see one, (phone call) the sales person went to the warehouse to see if they had the item. The sales person came back & said they had some in the warehouse. (phone call) I again said I would like see one first. That is as far as things got because of the extended phone call that left me standing by myself for several minutes. We are not talking about a huge piece of equipment. So no burden would have been involved.

Phil Thien
04-25-2013, 4:12 PM
this is a difficult question...as a good business owner a quote to repair perhaps should have been offered? once you figured out what was going on this would happen. And yes I would have taken the call in this case. there is no clear answer to the fundamental problem.

I agree with you. But in the short time I had to think of a response, I couldn't figure out a way to communicate that to him without making it seem like I understood he was trying to mislead me, and making the entire situation awkward for both of us (rather than just me).

Just wasn't thinking quickly enough on my feet. I only had about 10 seconds to answer that call, though. :)

You never know, I might see the guy again. Probably with some story like "my friend [wife/whatever] gave me this SSD, and I need help installing it."

Lee Schierer
04-25-2013, 4:23 PM
I was taught early on that a person standing in front of you is your priority. The phone can ring. If it's important they will leave a message or call back. In this day of caller ID and voicemail I don't understand why someone would risk losing the bird in the hand to go after the two in the bush.

It isn't just retail stores, it is pervasive in our society. I've been in business meetings and seen people, including managers and VP's stop meetings to answer the phone while half a dozen highly paid employees cool their jets while they take a call. I learned years ago at a management class that if someone comes in your office they should be your priority and if the phone rings, let the voice mail get it, or take your phone off the hook when the person comes in so you won't be interrupted. If you are expecting an urgent call, tell the person who just came in that you are expecting a call and if it comes in while they are present you will meet them in their office to finish the meeting. It really irks me when people feel obligated to answer the phone instead of paying attention to the people in their business. It is easy enough to change the message on the answering machine to say if we don't answer we are helping another customer and if you leave your name and number we will get back to you as soon as we can and then actually follow up with a call.

Brian Elfert
04-25-2013, 5:56 PM
Yep, I've noticed that also. The reason is that the chain (the owners) monitors how long it takes between an order and serving on the drive through and puts a higher priority on that than on service in the store. Since the manager's bonus is based on those metrics, that's what they prioritize.

My understanding is a fast food restaurant will do as much as 70% or more of business at the drive thru. They have a huge incentive to keep drive thru customers happy and coming back.

Brian Elfert
04-25-2013, 6:10 PM
I worked at a large computer retailer (now out of business) in the mid 90s. We had more business than we could handle in my department plus a phone that rang regularly. We had lines to buy or talk to us all the time even with as many sales people as the store could hire. The phone was totally ignored at times, but then people called the manager to complain the phone wasn't answered. We generally would answer the phone and put the caller on hold to complete a transaction, but more than once a caller was forgotten about, sometimes because the next customer was mad about waiting in line so long.

In today's day and age I rarely call any place I do business with because I can get most info on the web these days. There is one small business I plan to have make a stainless steel tank for me ($800 job). This winter I called them many times without an answer to ask a question about getting the project started. I left a few voicemails too. I finally thought they had gone out of business and asked another place for a quote (twice the cost!). After two or three months someone finally answered the phone. I realize the owner needs to spend time on getting projects done, but nobody will buy anything if they don't answer the phone.

Jim Matthews
04-25-2013, 6:13 PM
My understanding is a fast food restaurant will do as much as 70% or more of business at the drive thru. They have a huge incentive to keep drive thru customers happy and coming back.

There's no timer on the walkup customers, either.

Jim Matthews
04-25-2013, 6:16 PM
This is a sticky problem.

If it's computers - it's a commodity, and only service differentiates the local sale.
If the service is lame, rude or incompetent - why pay a premium?

If it's something that will one day require service as part of it's life cycle - it makes real dollars and "sense" to buy from the local purveyor.

If you're shopping with a smart phone in your hand, then your "research" is obvious.
If you're purchasing something that has limited distribution, then the sales clerk is costing the owner money.

Either way, live customers should come first -
ushered towards the close of the sale or the door.

Greg R Bradley
04-25-2013, 8:30 PM
Phil,
I was in exactly that position in 1990. I realized that the good customers never ask "how much" or try to deceive you. I sold the retail computer business to someone that thought he knew how to run a retail business better than I did by doing good customer service. He was out of business in a few years along with 6 of the 8 computer businesses on that street in 1.2 miles. I kept the few good business customers and work out of a business with no sign, an unlisted phone number, and a combination lock to walk in the door. I still have all the business customers that I took with me 23 years ago.

Pat Barry
04-25-2013, 9:17 PM
Its a tough situation for a business, especially a small business. I think they HAVE to answer the phone. If you called, during the day, and got an answering machine, I'm betting you would find someone else to call. If you are there and they answer the phone, and you think you are being slighted, then I think you should have a bit more understanding.

Phil Thien
04-25-2013, 9:24 PM
Its a tough situation for a business, especially a small business. I think they HAVE to answer the phone. If you called, during the day, and got an answering machine, I'm betting you would find someone else to call. If you are there and they answer the phone, and you think you are being slighted, then I think you should have a bit more understanding.

I think the best compromise is to take the calls as them come, but tell the callers you'll need to call them back.

Brian Elfert
04-25-2013, 11:31 PM
I think the best compromise is to take the calls as them come, but tell the callers you'll need to call them back.

It is fine if a business says someone will call them back, but the call back needs to be in a reasonable time frame, or the customer might call someone else.

I called a company today to ask some pre-sales questions about a headlight. It took five or six hours to get a return call which I was fine with, but some might consider excessive. These headlights cost 40 times what it costs to buy a standard headlight down at the auto parts store so I expect they can afford to answer some questions about the product. (I will likely buy the product if I can come up with the money.)

Steve Meliza
04-25-2013, 11:37 PM
If I call a business during business hours I expect the phone to be answered within several rings and be asked to hold if they are busy or possibly be asked for a number to be called back at. If they are able to immediately talk to me that is great, but I don't expect it. When I take the time and gas to fight traffic to make it into your store then I expect to get helped with minimal delay from customers that walk in or call after they have started to serve me. If I were treated like the OP describes I would have walked out too with the assumption that the business didn't need my money.

Two weeks ago I was spending about $300 at a store that took me 25 minutes to drive to and was paying for part of it with very old gift cards. The business had changed their gift cards since I was given mine so the employee helping me had to find a set of instructions then work his way through the process to transfer the old cards to new cards then redeem them towards my purchase. It took the guy a good 15 minutes to sort it all out and during that time there was at least once instance where two people were on hold on the phone at the same time yet he doggedly served me and didn't even look in the direction of the phone till I was done and on my way out the door. I feel sorry for the people that were on the phone, but you can be sure that I'll go back again and recommend others go there.