PDA

View Full Version : Big Island Visit 5-1/14-13

Thomas Canfield
04-25-2013, 8:19 AM
Looks like a return trip to the Big Island will happen next week and I am looking for ideas or local turners to visit. This will be the 7th trip for LOML and me so a lot of shops are normal. We are staying down at Kona but will be taking day trips such as Hilo and Hawi (Kelly Dunn's Gallery for sure) and looking for any local turners would encourage a visit (please send e-mail), wood sources (mostly to gawk at), and any new galleries or items in the past 3 years. I have make contact with the 2 local clubs and may possibly try to see the Don Derry demonstration on 5-4-13 with West Hawaii Woodturners. Just to see all the woods and items in the gallery is a real inspiration, but talking to the turners is an added treat.

Hayes Rutherford
04-25-2013, 9:04 AM
Thomas, over in Mountain View is Dan DeLuz Woods. Dan passed away last year but the gallery is still open and definitely worth visiting.

mike ash
04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
There is a neat gallery on the Mamalahoa Hwy above Kona. I forget the owner/turner's name, but he had some beautiful work and was very engaging on the methods he uses. He turns mostly Hawaiian woods and was impressive. The Mamalahoa Hwy (road) is a great drive with great views. Take your wife as there are some art and boutique shops up there whe will enjoy. You might even hit a coffee bean plantation while you are up there.

Chip Sutherland
04-25-2013, 11:16 AM
My wife and I visited there when Dan was still alive. Picked up a piece from the gallery, too. Best time was working with Dan to fill a couple of Priority One boxes with as much wood as possible. He had a ton of roughed out bowls. His wife made a great cup of Kona coffee.

On the way back around to Kona, we passed by the road that goes to Kelly Burns gallery. We were late for dinner with friends so the wife would not take the detour.

Definitely worth the stop if it is still around.

Thomas Canfield
04-25-2013, 8:27 PM
Thomas, over in Mountain View is Dan DeLuz Woods. Dan passed away last year but the gallery is still open and definitely worth visiting.

Dan also had another gallery North of Hilo and I've been in both on previous trips and bought some wood from his scrap barrels. HI wood gets to be expensive fast, but flat rate boxes and scrap wood at bargain prices can make for some interesting small pieces. Thanks for reminder.