PDA

View Full Version : Reshaping chisels

Don Kingston
04-25-2013, 3:35 AM
I saw in another forum about backyard annealing. If I tokk a regular set of chisels, or 1 chisel and re shaped it to a mortise looking chisel, could I re heat it and make it a good chisel?
Thanks,
Don

Brian Thornock
04-25-2013, 8:50 AM
What do you mean by reshaping? Do you mean grinding off the lands, or trying to actually reforge it into a different shape? If taking off the lands, you can do that with some caution and a grinder. If the other option, then I wouldn't dare try it. I am going to be grinding down one chisel I have to make it into a copy of Rob Cosman's dovetail chisel for some half blind dovetails I have coming up on my next project.

Tom Henderson2
04-25-2013, 9:58 AM
I would leave the heat treating to the pros... Especially where edge tools are concerned.

bridger berdel
04-25-2013, 6:21 PM
i have reworked some chisels, including hardening and tempering. if you're thinking of converting a paring chisel into a mortise chisel i think you'll have a hard time. expect better success going from a heavier duyt tool to a lighter duty one.

I saw in another forum about backyard annealing. If I tokk a regular set of chisels, or 1 chisel and re shaped it to a mortise looking chisel, could I re heat it and make it a good chisel?
Thanks,
Don

Derek Cohen
04-25-2013, 7:40 PM
It is not difficult to grind steel. Just go slowly and cool frequently. And if you need to re-temper the steel, have a look here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/LowTechHeatTreating.html

However I have never heard of anyone turning a bevel edged chisel into a mortice chisel. It is not practical. Do you plan square or trapazoid sides? Are you thinking of turning the chisel on its side for blade depth - it will be tapered the wrong way. Removing bevels and creating a square sided chisel will not strenghen it.

Get some HSS bar and grind that instead.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don Kingston
04-26-2013, 1:32 AM
Thank you all. Yes I was thinking of grinding the sides to fit in like a dove tail. I was thinking about after all the grinding the need to re-temper. I like the idea to get hss bar and have a go at it. Slowly.

Derek Cohen
04-26-2013, 1:46 AM
Don, then this may help: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don Kingston
04-26-2013, 4:47 AM
Yes, these are just what I was thinking about. Thank you very much.
Don