PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw miter guage issue

Ron Schmitt
04-24-2013, 9:18 PM
Bought a Ryobi 10 in table saw and the polite word for the miter gauge is SLOPPY.
Any recommendations for an aftermarket miter?:confused:

David Hawxhurst
04-24-2013, 9:25 PM
osbourne first then incra, but there are other good ones out there just haven't used them.

Robert Chapman
04-24-2013, 9:28 PM
Hard to beat Incra - lots of choices - good quality.

jim gossage
04-24-2013, 10:08 PM
I have been very happy with the incra 3000.

glenn bradley
04-25-2013, 8:16 AM
I have a couple of Incra 27's. One for the tablesaw and one for the router table. Basic model without a lot of the bells and whistles but, the original one has served me well for nearly a decade and the second one bought just a few years ago is of equal quality. As mentioned there are a lot of choices/brands. Things that bother me on some models is the amount of protrusion behind the fence. Some of the more sophisticated models have quite a bit of hardware hanging off the rear of the gauge. This may or may not be an issue. I found that by considering what I needed a gauge to do, compare that to what my current gauge did not do, and adding in my preference for ease of operation for 95% of my tasks led me to a choice that worked well for me. The same formula would probably help someone find what is right for them.

Joseph Tarantino
04-25-2013, 8:22 AM
what model ryobi did you get? was it a bt3xxx?

jared herbert
04-25-2013, 9:29 PM
If the bar is loose in the groove, use a center punch and hammer to put some dimples in the side of the bar, about every quarter inch or so. It will probably be to tight then, so just use a file and smooth the dimples off until the bar just slides in the groove. It aint fancy but it will work and may get you by until you have the funds to buy a really fancy one. Jared

Lee Schierer
04-25-2013, 9:55 PM
If the bar is loose in the groove, use a center punch and hammer to put some dimples in the side of the bar, about every quarter inch or so. It will probably be to tight then, so just use a file and smooth the dimples off until the bar just slides in the groove. It aint fancy but it will work and may get you by until you have the funds to buy a really fancy one. Jared

Center punching is a temporary fix as the dimples will wear off relatively quickly. A better way is to apply a layer on UHMW tape to the side of the slide bar. UHMW tape is available in various thicknesses and can be installed in minutes and lasts for years. Just be sure to clean the slide bar with lacquer thinner or mineral spirits before applying the tape. I apply the tape and trim it to the edge of the miter bar with a razor blade.

Troy Turner
04-25-2013, 10:37 PM
I bought the Incra v120. It was suprising cheaper (probably on sale) than the v27. I'll be buying a v27 for my router table in the near future.

Only reason I went with the v120 was it gives you more options for stops than the v27, oh yeah, and the price :D Actually, I mulled both and that little voice said, you'll never need to cut a 33 degree angle on anything, but the one time you do, you'll be glad you got the v127 ;)

Ray Newman
04-25-2013, 11:11 PM
What size is the miter gauge groove?

Industry "standard" is a 3/4" X 3/8" groove.

However, some saw have a smaller miter gauge groove and it is more difficult to find an aftermarket miter gauge.

Ron Schmitt
04-29-2013, 4:01 PM
what model ryobi did you get? was it a bt3xxx?
Just the RTS10, and thanks for all the input, I ordered the Incra from Amazon.

Ray Newman
04-29-2013, 7:44 PM
Will the INCRA miter bar fit? INCRA miter gauge bars are 3/8 X 3/4"

Per the Ryobi wbe page for the RTS10, the miter gauge slot is 5/8". See specs at: http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/all_saws/RTS10