PDA

View Full Version : Glue PVC wire to Cabinet shelves

Dav1d Beck
04-24-2013, 4:56 PM
Hey everyone I am working a kitchen remodel and I am installing LED lights inside my cabinets. These strips have 3M 200MP on the back and it seems to work alright for them. My question is how can I attach the wire from the front of the shelf to the back. My first thought was something like RTV with a needle for the applicator but I thought someone on these forums might actually have a better idea. I have attached a few pictures for reference.

The cabinet company claims they are mallmine with a conversion varnished baked on not sure if that helps.

http://techiscool.com/Pictures/Projects/led_kitchen/JBC_6781.jpg
http://techiscool.com/Pictures/Projects/led_kitchen/JBC_6789.jpg
http://techiscool.com/Pictures/Projects/led_kitchen/JBC_6793.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to look.

Chris Padilla
04-24-2013, 4:59 PM
Clear silicone caulking?

Phil Thien
04-24-2013, 5:36 PM
Wire staples. These are the sort that are used for attaching low-voltage wires like telephone cables, etc., to framing.

Or dabs of hot-melt glue.

David Gutierrez
04-24-2013, 5:39 PM
Just had the kitchen redone and the contractor used a hot melt glue to place the wires in the cabinets...

Dav1d Beck
04-24-2013, 5:45 PM
Clear silicone caulking?
Worth looking at thanks for the idea

Wire staples. These are the sort that are used for attaching low-voltage wires like telephone cables, etc., to framing.

Or dabs of hot-melt glue.

The staples are going to be too visible. Hot glue might work not sure of the adhesion time and I don't really want it expanding out

Just had the kitchen redone and the contractor used a hot melt glue to place the wires in the cabinets...

Are you talking about like a hot glue gun? If so do you like the result?

Chris Padilla
04-24-2013, 5:52 PM
Hot glue gun sounds right. The caulking would work but you'd need to tape it in place while it cures.

Dav1d Beck
04-24-2013, 6:01 PM
Hot glue gun sounds right. The caulking would work but you'd need to tape it in place while it cures.

I guess its more experimenting to see how it sticks. Hot glue is starting to sound like the viable option unless someone else comes up with a better idea.

Roy Harding
04-24-2013, 8:31 PM
Hot glue. It's quick, it's easy - and it's more than sufficient for the purpose.

Dav1d Beck
04-24-2013, 8:47 PM
Hot glue. It's quick, it's easy - and it's more than sufficient for the purpose.

Alright I tried it and it works great thanks everyone for the simple solution. It even can be remove without damaging the material awesome.

Andy Wojteczko
04-24-2013, 9:59 PM
Check out Lee Valley's excellent assortment of accessories for this application.
Andy

Dav1d Beck
04-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Check out Lee Valley's excellent assortment of accessories for this application.
Andy

I would assume you had the wrong thread open?

Dan Hintz
04-25-2013, 6:27 AM
If you go the silicone route, make sure you pick up the type without acetic acid... over a few years you'll find your wiring has disintegrated if you don't choose wisely.

Andy Wojteczko
04-25-2013, 9:09 PM
Lee Valley has a complete compliment of wiring accessories and LED strip lighting just for this purpose.
Andy

Dan Hintz
04-26-2013, 8:38 AM
Just thought of this... what about wiring staples, but you glue to tips of the plastic staples to the cabinet rather than using the nails? No glue touches the wiring (for the most part).

Chris Rosenberger
04-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Why not use the 3M double stick tape on the wires?

Ben Hatcher
04-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Where's the woodworking? How about routing a dado in the side of the shelf to run the wire in?