PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments made, for the most part -WIP

Roger Chandler
04-24-2013, 3:03 PM
This is the Sisso hollow form I posted yesterday that was still mounted in the chuck. I took it back to the lathe and sweetened the curve to the bottom, took off the foot, tucked in the base just a tad [it does not show up well at the camera angle here] and made 3 finials.......the first one had an unseen crack and inclusion/void that was in them middle of the blank.......punt......made a second one, a little smaller than the first, and had it almost completed and it broke on me! :mad:

This is the third........I just got tired and have a lot of other things I need to do this afternoon, so this one is more proportional on the form than it looks on the pics.......again, must be my camera angle and settings.......:confused:

I also lowered the shoulder as much as I dared with the wall thickness I had.....it still has good structural integrity, so that worked out fine...........let me know how you like the newer version! :) I may make yet another finial, so this is still a work in progress!

Kathy Marshall
04-24-2013, 4:03 PM
Roger, I'm on my phone so looking at a tiny pic (and typing is a pain), but it looks like you did a nice job adjusting the shoulder and curve. This version is much improved by your little tweaks and the new finial.

Roger Chandler
04-24-2013, 5:24 PM
Roger, I'm on my phone so looking at a tiny pic (and typing is a pain), but it looks like you did a nice job adjusting the shoulder and curve. This version is much improved by your little tweaks and the new finial.

Hope you will take a look when you get home this evening, Kathy. Do I remember correctly that the sisso is in the rosewood family? Seems like in the back of my mind, you posted something to that effect some time ago? Anyway, thank you for the wood! :)

Brian Kent
04-24-2013, 6:44 PM
What a difference. I really like the adjustments you made.

Harry Robinette
04-24-2013, 6:57 PM
You definitely have a winner now.I really like the shape with that finial it flows very nicely to me.

Roger Chandler
04-24-2013, 9:21 PM
You definitely have a winner now.I really like the shape with that finial it flows very nicely to me.

Thanks Harry..........and thanks Brian!

Kathy Marshall
04-25-2013, 12:49 AM
It still looks good Roger ;). I like the shoulder and the curve in the body much better on this one, and it looks like you didn't have to remove much material to achieve those results. It always amazes me the difference very small changes can make.
Yes, Sissoo is Indian Rosewood and I wish more people around here wanted to cut them down :eek:.

Roger Chandler
04-25-2013, 8:00 AM
It still looks good Roger ;). I like the shoulder and the curve in the body much better on this one, and it looks like you didn't have to remove much material to achieve those results. It always amazes me the difference very small changes can make.
Yes, Sissoo is Indian Rosewood and I wish more people around here wanted to cut them down :eek:.

Thanks K! :)

Pat Scott
04-25-2013, 9:52 AM
I like the form and shape of the hollow form. My critique is that I think the finial looks nice as far as the curve and design, but I think it's too thick and/or tall. In my eye it overpowers the hollow form. If you were to reduce the thickness that would help a lot, but better yet I think reduce the thickness and length (maybe an inch). Otherwise, nice.

Roger Chandler
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM
I like the form and shape of the hollow form. My critique is that I think the finial looks nice as far as the curve and design, but I think it's too thick and/or tall. In my eye it overpowers the hollow form. If you were to reduce the thickness that would help a lot, but better yet I think reduce the thickness and length (maybe an inch). Otherwise, nice.

Thanks Pat!

Roger Chandler
04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
This is the final version........took this back to the lathe.......undercut the base just a little and made another finial for it.......smaller and thinner.

Comments on the final version or all of them for that matter are welcomed!