PDA

View Full Version : Any broken bandsaw blade injuries?

curtis rosche
04-24-2013, 2:56 PM
I was reading on another forum about a bandsaw blade that snapped and went sailing, and it made me curious. I was taught never to stand beside a bandsaw cause if the blade snaps it will snake across the table and the to the right of the saw. Ive had a few blades break but never actually leave the saw. But it made me curious.
Has anyone been injured from a blade breaking loose? Or do the blades always stay in the same plane as the wheels when they break? And does a bandsaw blade actually carry enough force, after it has snapped, to cause much more than some scratches?

Mike Wilkins
04-24-2013, 3:08 PM
I have never had a blade break on my Laguna LT18 before, but on my benchtop Rikon I have had a couple of breaks. The blade just stops moving while the wheels continue to be driven until you hit the off switch. I suspect the same thing is likely to happen on a larger machine. Since there is no tension to drive the blade, it will just hang around, hopefully not causing any damage.

Phil Thien
04-24-2013, 3:20 PM
I have never had a blade break on my Laguna LT18 before, but on my benchtop Rikon I have had a couple of breaks. The blade just stops moving while the wheels continue to be driven until you hit the off switch. I suspect the same thing is likely to happen on a larger machine. Since there is no tension to drive the blade, it will just hang around, hopefully not causing any damage.

Yep, that is my experience, too.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2013, 4:30 PM
I have a MM-16. I have had a couple blades break and one came off because I forgot to tension it.

They just stopped.

The main thing is to shut off power, step back, don't do anything and just wait for the wheels to quit spinning. It can take a couple minutes.

Stephen Cherry
04-24-2013, 4:35 PM
I had a blade break on my 24" agazzani. Tried to cut something round without really thinking it through first. The blade didn't really go anywhere.

Lee Schierer
04-24-2013, 5:44 PM
I've seen a couple of blades break on a bandsaw and they just stop. The saw continues to run and the blade rubbing on the wheels makes some noise, but I've neve seen one come off. The guards pretty much have the blade contained.

Jim Rimmer
04-24-2013, 5:46 PM
I've seen a couple of blades break on a bandsaw and they just stop. The saw continues to run and the blade rubbing on the wheels makes some noise, but I've neve seen one come off. The guards pretty much have the blade contained.

That's what happened when mine broke.

Kevin Bourque
04-24-2013, 6:26 PM
I think it's only a concern if the guide is raised all the way up like if you were re-sawing a wide board, but I have never had any problems with broken blades ever.

Roy Harding
04-24-2013, 8:28 PM
I was taught the same thing in trade school (never stand to the right of the bandsaw). I've had two blade breaks on my 20" bandsaw, and my experience was the same as the other posters here, IE - the blade stays enclosed in the machine, doesn't move, and the wheels just keep spinning until you turn off the power.

For what it's worth - I STILL never stand to the right of the machine, because the thought (imprinted by my instructors) of that blade whipping out at me STILL sends shivers up and down my spine.

glenn bradley
04-24-2013, 8:41 PM
I'm not sure what could cause a blade to go "sailing" on a well maintained saw. Once the tension is off there is nothing happening to push the blade anywhere unless the blade miraculously folded in on itself and got pressed between the wheel and housing but, even still, how did the blade get out into the open?

curtis rosche
04-24-2013, 8:59 PM
I'm not sure what could cause a blade to go "sailing" on a well maintained saw. Once the tension is off there is nothing happening to push the blade anywhere unless the blade miraculously folded in on itself and got pressed between the wheel and housing but, even still, how did the blade get out into the open?

Those of us with older saws that have no wheel guards......

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2013, 9:13 PM
Curtis,

I doubt it would be a problem even without the wheel guards.

There isn't much mass involved with a bandsaw blade and once the blade breaks, there is nothing left to hold it in contact with the wheels.

Without wheel guards, it might cut you but I doubt it would result in a horrible wound.

curtis rosche
04-24-2013, 9:16 PM
Curtis,

I doubt it would be a problem even without the wheel guards.

There isn't much mass involved with a bandsaw blade and once the blade breaks, there is nothing left to hold it in contact with the wheels.

Without wheel guards, it might cut you but I doubt it would result in a horrible wound.

Thats what I was thinking, but wanted to see others experiences. I left the lower gaurd on, but cut the top one off for transport

Erik Loza
04-24-2013, 9:39 PM
Nearly crapped my pants when a Tri-Master snapped during the middle of a demo at a trade show. Does that count?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Phil Thien
04-24-2013, 9:54 PM
Nearly crapped my pants when a Tri-Master snapped during the middle of a demo at a trade show. Does that count?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

The OP only asked if anyone was injured.

I've had some near-brown experiences.

Both blade breaks, and...

My bandsaw uses a cogged belt. It could have been a little snugger. I was resawing some 7" thick walnut when the belt slipped a cog or two. The resulting "bang" (blade didn't break) was pretty jolting.

glenn bradley
04-25-2013, 8:20 AM
Those of us with older saws that have no wheel guards......

Quite true and they do look cool ;). I would fabricate some simple form of guard but, I'm a bit of a safety nazi :).

Gus Dundon
04-25-2013, 2:19 PM
Check this old thread here in sawmil
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?117468-What-happens-when-band-saw-blades-break/page2
I broke blades befor but it didn't cause any damage to me physically.