PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking New Baileigh Band Saw and Bender

Keith Outten
04-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Two of my latest shop acquisitions.

The first is my new Baileigh Box and Pan Brake sheet metal bender. Look closely and you can see that there isn't a handle that you would ordinarily see at the top of the machine that locks the material before you bend it, this one has an electro-magnet that you energize to hold the sheet metal in place. The long blue iron bar at the top is pulled down with 6 tons of force, this holds the sheet metal in place while you pull up on the bending handles. You can bend a host of shapes with this machine that are either difficult or impossible to do with the traditional style benders. The machine came with a large collection of bars of varying shapes and sizes, it will also bend round shapes by placing a round iron bar on top of the sheet metal. Check out the video....Warning turn down your speaker volume before you start the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvMW1Zxoyc

The second machine is my new Metal Cutting Band Saw. This one replaced an old metal saw that I purchased 25 years ago that had seen its better days. The new Baileigh Band Saw is fabulous. I have never seen an affordable metal saw that would cut perfectly straight. Cuts in 2" heavy wall square tubing that used to take ten minutes are done in less than one minute now. Fit-ups are near perfect which makes the welding so much easier.

You can now add my name the "Thanks Baileigh" group. I am so impressed with the fit, finish and most of all the quality of my new Baileigh machines :)

Gus Dundon
04-24-2013, 4:43 PM
I thought the band saw is also featured on the video. The bender is great. The band saw looks powerful.

Keith Outten
04-24-2013, 5:09 PM
Gus,

I couldn't find a video of the band saw on Baileigh's web site. Honestly the band saw is my favorite of the two machines, compared to my old saw it is like moving into the current century from the middle ages. I have been cutting 2.5" receiver pieces that I will weld to the pipe that I just installed in my shop for ceiling supports. Next up i need a boat load of 2" pieces, one for each bending tool.

The bender is a slick machine, I am rounding up some sheet metal for a couple of shop projects. I was also told that it can be used to bend acrylic with an external heat source obviously. Channel letters may be something I will be able to add to my sign shop shortly.

Both os these machines are very nice, well built and arrived ready to run.

Mac McQuinn
04-24-2013, 8:17 PM
Keith,
Will the Band saw go vertical? Country of Origin? Price?
thanks, Mac

Keith Outten
04-24-2013, 9:48 PM
Mac,

The band saw will work in both horizontal and vertical modes. It comes with an auxiliary table to use in vertical mode. It is equipped as advertised on this web page. (http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/horizontal-and-vertical-band-saw-bs-712ms) Its made in Taiwan with a price tag of $2,195.00. I would definitely classify this one as an industrial grade band saw. It has a three speed gearbox, a 7" by 10.25" cutting capacity and the coolant system is standard. It's a bit more saw than I ever thought I would have in my shop but I really am enjoying this one. No more waiting for saw cuts, what used to take my old saw a whole day can be done in an hour with this one and the cuts are straight :)

I upgraded my welding machine as well because I am marketing more sign hangers these days and I am trying to add more capability to my sign shop in hopes of growing just a bit.

Keith Outten
04-24-2013, 9:58 PM
I forgot to mention that this saw is a swivel head model. The head moves rather than having to fuss with setting angles on the vise and having to deal with tightening bolts to adjust the angle. This was one feature that I always wanted in a band saw.

Mac McQuinn
04-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the info,
Mac

Gus Dundon
05-03-2013, 4:30 PM
Is it a one way swivel saw?

Keith Outten
05-03-2013, 8:56 PM
Gus,

Yes its a one way swivel head so you cannot do complex angle cuts. You can cheat a bit by putting your material in the vise at an angle which is very easy to do as the vise jaws are large and very powerful.

Gus Dundon
05-06-2013, 3:07 PM
Cool! Thanks for that!An old classmate owns a Hydmech European Style band saw which is one swivel. He found it a good saw.

Baileigh Inc
05-07-2013, 8:31 AM
Lookin good man. Share us a project built with the magnetic brake.

Keith Outten
05-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Shane,

It is good :)

I have been experimenting with the brake hot bending acrylic and a few pieces of light gage sheet metal. I need to visit my local supplier to purchase some sheet to make a new fence design that I am working on for the vector tables I am building but I have been distracted lately by work that is on my short list of things that have to be done ASAP.

I got a new plasma cutter a few weeks ago, in my minds eye I can see a couple projects in the near future that the cutter and the brake will be used to produce something unique......but I don't want to give up any details yet :)

I also purchased a new Miller Multimate 200 which is capable of Mig, Tig and Stick welding so I finally have a way to weld thin sheet and aluminum. Stay Tuned!