PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new shop location but having problems

Rick Hubbard
04-23-2013, 8:15 AM
I seem to be in a quandary.:eek:

We just moved from Maine to Virginia and I have leased some shop space. Most of my woodworking equipment is now at the shop but I have a problem I can’t seem to get my head around.

When we moved my table-saw, we put it up on a piece of plywood with casters attached to it so it would be easy to roll. That worked fine, but now there it sits and I can’t figure out a way to get it off the “dolly”. I don’t know a single soul in this area so I have no one to help. Any ideas on how one person might move this critter onto the floor??

As a side note, I also had to remove my 14 inch Grizzly band-saw from its base in order to fit it in the trailer so I need to lift the saw back onto its base. That is also a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Rick Hubbard

Jay Radke
04-23-2013, 9:44 AM
seems to me that it is time to make some new friends.

as for your TS, i am assuming its not that high off the ground on the casters. couldnt you set up some type of temp small cribbing to all you to walk the TS off the casters a bit, then kick away the casters and lower either the front or rear of the TS to the floor. then do the reverse for the cribbing. for your band saw you might be able to do something similar.

if you dont think either of those two options, next solution would be to set up a tackle and pulley system. however, i think numbers one and two might be the best.

Michael N Taylor
04-23-2013, 9:55 AM
I bought one of those shop cranes on sale and it really comes in handy lifting and moving machines. It is a 2 ton capacity and was only $125.00 on sale from an auto parts supply store. You can hoist the machine then roll it into place with the crane.

mike holden
04-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Shop cranes are readily available for rent. They are usually on an axle and have a trailer hitch so you can get them from the rental place and back again.

Rick Hubbard
04-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I agree it is time "to find some freinds" but that might take airless more time than I have.

The shop crane is a good idea but the one at the rental place was not a towing type. I figured getting it in and out of my truck would have been a bigger chore than the tar saw !! For $125 buying one sounds like a good idea (if I can find one). Otherwise I'll try edging it off I guess

Wade Lippman
04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
I also just moved.
For $200 I hired moving men to move 2500 pounds of machinery from my garage (where it was delivered) to my basement. I am guessing it would have cost $25 to have them come back and help me stand up my cyclone, but my wife, son and I managed it. Call around.

Several neighbors told me to let them know if I needed help with anything. I would rather pay $25 than impose on a new neighor, but I expect they would have helped had I asked them. Meet your neighbors.

Joseph Tarantino
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
never rely on anyone but yourself. here's how i raised and lowered a unisaw alone to get it off the rehab movers dolly onto a proper mobile base:

Bill Edwards(2)
04-23-2013, 11:47 AM
never rely on anyone but yourself. here's how i raised and lowered a unisaw alone to get it off the rehab movers dolly onto a proper mobile base:

There you go! Be clever like Joe!:D

Rick Hubbard
04-23-2013, 11:49 AM
AHA!

Now THAT is a great idea! Now all I need to do is to figure just where my floor jack is stored.

Thanks for the hint.

Keith Outten
04-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Rick,

Where are you at in Virginia. There's a pretty large group of us here, somebody must live in your neck of the woods.

Rick Hubbard
04-23-2013, 1:25 PM
Hi Keith

I am in Staunton, about 25 miles from Harrisonburg. And, for the record I LOVE IT HERE!!

Rick

Keith Outten
04-23-2013, 1:30 PM
Rick,

Your in luck, Ashton Waters is real close to your location. Ashton is a great guy, no doubt he would be happy to help you so I will send you a PM with his phone number or if you prefer you can send me your number and I will ask Ashton to give you a call.

BTW, Welcome to Virginia :)

Art Mulder
04-23-2013, 10:17 PM

I admire your ingenuity with the unisaw. That is pretty slick.

But I could not disagree more with your first sentence.

Jim Andrew
04-23-2013, 10:27 PM
I try to operate like Joe too, but if all else fails I ask my son for help. If a guy tries, you can usually figure out a way.

Keith Outten
04-24-2013, 5:28 AM
Moving and lifting generally gets down to the equipment you have and your level of experience. In year past my Dad and I were able to move and lift some very large stuff based mostly on his experience. We had very little equipment to work with but he was patient and sometimes it took a very long time to lift machines that I never thought possible.

When I was young I worked as a Toolkeeper/Truckdriver for a company that was owned by Newport News Shipbuilding. I was fortunate to work with one of the older Riggers who had a lifetime of experience. Once a man learns to move submarines and larger ships with nothing but hammers and dunnage there isn't much they cannot do. I once watched this guy place rigging on a monster steel drum we built at the coal terminal in Newport News. It was the thrust measuring system for the space shuttle engines. A team of engineers spent 4 hours trying to find a way to move the drum to a barge, in the end the welding supervisor ask my friend if he could rig the drum so they could pick it up, flip it over in mid-air and then set it on the barge. He got the job done using three cranes in less than 30 minutes.

People will amaze you if you just watch and listen.

Bill Edwards(2)
04-24-2013, 7:46 AM
But I could not disagree more with your first sentence.

You're not going to quote Blanche DuBois are you? :D

I've watched the Wood Whisperer's video about paying people to move his shop.

Poor guy almost had a heart attack when they almost dropped his jointer.:rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
04-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Well, I just went through the exercise of lifting my 1/2 ton jointer/planer in order to slide a mobile base I made under it. I had thought to rent an engine hoist but as I starting dinking around with it, I ended up using two jacks (a floor jack and a small screw/scissor jack from the car) and lots of scrap 2x4s, 2x6s, and 4x4s and some chunks of junk oak (strong but split, checked every which way from Tuesday) and I got the job done that way. This was good because it took me 2 weekends and the work week to get it all done. The key for me was the small car jack...it was small enough to not get in the way of the wood supports as I built them up and moved them around for clearance yet it was easy to use.

Mike Wilkins
04-24-2013, 3:18 PM
I had to pick up my 750 pound jointer/planer machine and sit on a mobile base I constructed. The machine came with 2 eye bolts that were screwed into the main casting. From there I ran a solid square steel bar over 2 ceiling joists, attached a chain hoist and lifted the machine like it was a can of Diet Mountain Dew. Reversed the lifting step and onto the base. Don't drink as much Mountain Dew these days, but the chain hoist is collecting dust for the next lift. Your local imported tool imporium should be able to supply a chain hoist; just make sure to get one rated for your loads.
Stay safe and watch those fingers.

Rick Hubbard
05-11-2013, 7:43 AM
Well, thanks to a friendly Creeker, PROBLEM SOLVED. Thank you Ashton Water (and Keith for putting us in touch with one another)! Two guys with a bit of muscle got the job done in a matter of minutes!

But now I am facing yet another similar problem. I came back to Maine a week ago to finish moving the remainder of our household belongings to Virginia and happened to run into a neighbor who is selling all his woodworking equipment. I couldn’t resist the deal and wound up buying:

Jet JWP-16OS 3HP 16 inch planer
Jet JWS-18HO Shaper (with a bounty of cutters)
Delta 31-250 18 X 36 Drum Sander
Old cast iron Craftsman Jointer (MODEL # 113.206931)
Craftsman 12 inch Band saw (Model # 113.247410)
Pioneer (?) SDC-2041K 1.5 HP dust collector
Small Craftsman 12 inch bench-top drill press

I’ll go over there today and take some pictures, but my point is that now I have EVEN MORE stuff to transport!

Ryan Mooney
05-11-2013, 12:25 PM
my point is that now I have EVEN MORE stuff to transport!

Boy that sure sounds like a terrible problem to have :D :rolleyes: :cool:

If you keep this up you'll end up a professional rigger.

Rick Hubbard
05-11-2013, 4:07 PM
When my wife finds out about this I am liable to need a professional enbalmer

Joseph Tarantino
05-11-2013, 5:58 PM
Well, thanks to a friendly Creeker, PROBLEM SOLVED. Thank you Ashton Water (and Keith for putting us in touch with one another)! Two guys with a bit of muscle got the job done in a matter of minutes!

But now I am facing yet another similar problem. I came back to Maine a week ago to finish moving the remainder of our household belongings to Virginia and happened to run into a neighbor who is selling all his woodworking equipment. I couldn’t resist the deal and wound up buying:

Jet JWP-16OS 3HP 16 inch planer
Jet JWS-18HO Shaper (with a bounty of cutters)
Delta 31-250 18 X 36 Drum Sander
Old cast iron Craftsman Jointer (MODEL # 113.206931)
Craftsman 12 inch Band saw (Model # 113.247410)
Pioneer (?) SDC-2041K 1.5 HP dust collector
Small Craftsman 12 inch bench-top drill press

I’ll go over there today and take some pictures, but my point is that now I have EVEN MORE stuff to transport!

fortunately, all but the first two aren't that heavy.

Rick Hubbard
05-12-2013, 7:41 AM
fortunately, all but the first two aren't that heavy.

That's true. The planer is around 500# and the Shaper is about 175. Also, if I recall, the Shaper is mounted on casters, so that should un-complicate things a bit. I'm thinking about taking a trip down to the Rockler store today and buying one of those "All Terrain" bases for the jointer, but I wonder if it is a good idea to NOT have this thing on solid footing?

Alan Lightstone
05-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Hi Keith

I am in Staunton, about 25 miles from Harrisonburg. And, for the record I LOVE IT HERE!!

Rick

Ah, Charles Neil's neck of the woods. You should have asked last week, I would have come over to help.

I bought a Harbor Freight Electric Hoist and installed it in the rafters to help me move my Sawstop, Bandsaw, Jointer/Planer, etc. Lifted them all up onto casters / Mobile carts. I'm thrilled with the purchase (strong words for Harbor Freight stuff).

http://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-electric-hoist-44006.html

Ben Galluzzo
05-12-2013, 4:37 PM
Just another thing to think about... A couple of times I've had to lift large tools on top of mobile bases, and I pretty much prepped everything such that the base was set right next to the tool. I then had lifting bars and boards right there ready for use. Each time, when I had a family/friends gathering, I would walk everyone through the shop and say something like, "while you're here, can everyone get grab one end and just lift straight up?" Then I'd have one of the ladies slide the mobile base under the units just right. Each time, it took less than two minutes and I had enough hands that we didn't have to be too concerned about a pulled back or a strain. The only downfall is that it took patience to wait to get everything completed at the next get-together.

-Ben

george newbury
05-16-2013, 8:14 PM
I invested in a crane from HF.

I fastened it to a plywood "mobile" base such that I can put it in the back of my dually,

Or move it around my shop "stand alone".

Definitely "jury rigged" but I was able to load a Belsaw 12" planer in the back of my dually by just winching it up.