PDA

View Full Version : Record Marples No 05

Andrew Nemeth
04-22-2013, 10:46 PM
I hope this is appropriate to post here, if it is not please move this to the classified section.

I was given a New Record Marples No 05 jack plane somewhere between 1990 and 2000. You know, back when all I really cared about was tools with tails and using up electrons. Now the bug has really bitten me and I am in the process of acquiring a user set of handtools. I have restored a 605, 606, and 608, and have been gifted a 4-1/2 and a 5-1/2. I don't see a need for the Record No 05 given what I already have. The question is, do I keep this plane or sell it? I have no idea how much it cost when new and even less of an idea what it's value is now. It's in like new condition , which may or may not being saying anything given it's manufacturing date. The main body casting is quite thick (thicker than any of the vintage Stanley's I have), and it appears that it was made in England. I have considered just parting it out for screws as I need a #12-20 x 1/2" tote screw for one of my rehabs and it looks like that part alone might cost me $10 plus shipping if I am able to track it down. If the other hardware is compatible with vintage Stanley's that may be an option. I must admit, I'd feel bad doing that as the plane looks like it could be a good user for somebody. So, what do you think? Keep it and find a use, keep it for parts, or sell it? If I do sell it, how much is it worth?

-Andrew

Andrae Covington
04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I think this will be moved to the classifieds, but anyway... The brass screw on the cap iron instead of a lever dates it to 1995 or later. Irwin Record still makes jack planes, but now in China (so they no longer have "Made in England" on the casting), and they sell in the UK market for the rough equivalent of what new Chinese-made Stanley Contractor Grade and Footprint planes do here. The late-era Record "Made in England" planes like yours sell here on ebay for about the same or less. They've always been notable for the thick castings compared to Stanley; I'm not sure if the new ones are still like that.

Jim Koepke
04-23-2013, 2:59 AM
My suggestion would be to hang on to it for use as a scrub plane or a back up for doing rough jobs.

jtk

Cory Waldrop
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Agree with Jim,

Sharpen a heavy camber on the iron and use it as a scrub plane. It will be a revolution to handling rough lumber. I recently found this out by trying to flatten a workbench top with planes without a camber. I was actually mad with myself for not trying a cambered blade sooner.

David Weaver
04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Use it. It's a nice looking plane.

If it was a new stanley plane it would probably be worthless. Not so much so for a record plane, but I don't know what the difference in cost would be vs. a vintage plane - they might be in the same ball park in terms of cost (that and a vintage bailey).

I wouldn't part out a record plane that isn't known to have any flaws. I would camber it like has been suggested above.

Greg Wease
04-23-2013, 12:11 PM
I had a Record of this vintage and it performed quite well after fettling. I loaned it to a few students over the years and they were unable to screw it up. I eventually sold it to one of them and he is quite pleased with it. I believe the price new in ca. 2000 was $80.

Andrew Nemeth
04-23-2013, 2:41 PM
A scrub plane it will be!

Thank you gentlemen,

-Andrew