PDA

View Full Version : Veritas low angle spokeshave?

Dave Cav
04-22-2013, 5:06 PM
Anyone using one? Feedback?

thanks

Chris Griggs
04-22-2013, 5:59 PM
I have one. I like it. Its killer on end grain curves. Does well on long grain, but you need to pay attention to grain direction or it will tear the wood out deeply. Some folks have trouble with blade slippage on it. Brand new it happened to me a tad. Then I did what the directions said and made sure I had cleaned off any/all lube and roughed up the areas of the blade that get clamped. Never had a any problems since, but I don't use it as a mega hog (though I don't only use it for light cuts either). It works best as a flat shave, but I do flip the tow around and use it for inside curves too and it gets the job done - just don't expect it to do super tight inside curves.

Anyway, I really like it especially for the $70 it costs. Its A LOT of bang for buck, especially if you have no other shaves. I find it to be nicely balanced. Also, the handles are rounded on the underside and have a bit of meat to them which makes for nice control and a comfortable grip. I think when FWW reviewed several years ago they gave it the best value rating. I'd say thats probably accurate. It's probably not the abosolute best shave on the market, but it works very nicely and you get A LOT for your money with it. I'll round my set of shaves with the LV BD shaves one of these days, but I find it useful enough I still plan to keep it around at that point.

Dave Cav
04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks. Sounds like I need to add it to my "to buy" list (and the Veritas short blade magnetic sharpening jig). My only spokeshaves are an old Stanley flat bottom and a Groz round bottom, and I haven't had a lot of luck with either of them, although I'm sure additional sharpening and fetteling would help.

Mike Holbrook
04-23-2013, 2:19 AM
Glenn at woodjoytools makes a #85 model and several other spokeshave that are similar only different. It has a wood body, brass adjustment area and an extra thick A2 blade. Both are excellent tools. Glenn's spokeshave is also a bargain at only $5 more. Glenn makes an interesting selection of other, hand made, hand tools tools as well. I hate mentioning a competitor for Rob & Veritas, but they have made enough money off me alone to survive a while I think.

Michael Ray Smith
04-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Have one. Like it. Use it, but probably not as much as a Millers Falls No. 1 cigar shave to which I am particularly partial.

Matthew N. Masail
04-26-2013, 8:08 AM
I have one and love it. it cuts endgrain like butter, and the A2 blade seems to hold an edge forever - it's probably dull by now, but still cuts so well I have no reason to check.
Like Chris said it will tear out deeply if you don't watch the grain direction. I wonder if one could buy another blade and hone it at a higher angle for working long grain... but I have
the regular spokeshave too.

* also had to rough to edges
of the blade and clean off the oil to get it to hold it's position, but now it holds no matter what I do with it. it's my main shaping tool for endgrain curves like on a krenov plane. it's also chatter free.

* I gave the blade a 25 degree micro bevel by mistake (it comes ground at 20), it works just as well.

* I can also recommend getting the Veritas small blade holder, makes honing small blades a brese.

Michael Ray Smith
04-26-2013, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Matthew N. Masail;2101850

* I can also recommend getting the Veritas small blade holder, makes honing small blades a brese.[/QUOTE]

+1 on that.

Michael Ray Smith
04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=Matthew N. Masail;2101850] I wonder if one could buy another blade and hone it at a higher angle for working long grain.../QUOTE]

Hmmm. . . never thought of that, although it's exactly what I do with my LV low angle block plane for things like smoothing curly maple, using the blades that LV sells pre-ground at 38 degrees or 50 degrees (add another 12 degrees for the angle of the blade itself to get the angle of attack of the cutting edge). I don't know if the low angle spokeshave would work exactly the same way because, unlike "regular" spokeshaves, a low angle spokeshave is not just a plane with a shorter sole. I think of them as being more akin to small draw knives, although that's not a perfect analogy either. But enough theorizing -- has anyone tried it? If not, I might because I like the LV low angle spokeshave for all the reasons that everyone else has pointed out, and that could extend its utility quite a bit.

glenn bradley
04-26-2013, 1:28 PM
Have one. Like it. My wooden shave thinks its on vacation it gets used so seldom anymore. I got it for tricky stuff but, it has become my go-to. As for sharpening:

Matthew N. Masail
04-27-2013, 7:36 AM
[QUOTE=Matthew N. Masail;2101850] I wonder if one could buy another blade and hone it at a higher angle for working long grain.../QUOTE]

Hmmm. . . never thought of that, although it's exactly what I do with my LV low angle block plane for things like smoothing curly maple, using the blades that LV sells pre-ground at 38 degrees or 50 degrees (add another 12 degrees for the angle of the blade itself to get the angle of attack of the cutting edge). I don't know if the low angle spokeshave would work exactly the same way because, unlike "regular" spokeshaves, a low angle spokeshave is not just a plane with a shorter sole. I think of them as being more akin to small draw knives, although that's not a perfect analogy either. But enough theorizing -- has anyone tried it? If not, I might because I like the LV low angle spokeshave for all the reasons that everyone else has pointed out, and that could extend its utility quite a bit.y

I Please let us know if you do! I'll probably add another blade to my next LV order to try it but that may be some time. I can't think of a reason why it might not work, though it might be hard to use if taking anything but a thin shaving, it would be very cool if it worked out.

Chris Griggs
04-27-2013, 8:48 AM
I wonder if one could buy another blade and hone it at a higher angle for working long grain...

Funny! I've often wondered that too. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Maybe I'll just put a high MB on the one blade I have and see what happens.

Matthew N. Masail
04-28-2013, 7:14 AM
Funny! I've often wondered that too. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Maybe I'll just put a high MB on the one blade I have and see what happens.

if you have the patience to grind it back after.....

george wilson
04-28-2013, 9:35 AM
I made cigar shave blades for either 1 or 2 people on this forum. Now,I can't remember who.

Chris Griggs
04-28-2013, 10:46 AM
I made cigar shave blades for either 1 or 2 people on this forum. Now,I can't remember who.

Well I know you made a couple for Archie England. He was VERY pleased with them.

Looks like Woodjoy makes a nice looking cigar shave (http://shop.woodjoytools.com/product.sc;jsessionid=891920F26F4F4C431F8EF6E0F6B0 D806.qscstrfrnt04?productId=17&categoryId=6) too for $89. Pretty nicely priced for what likely a low production volume boutique tool.

Mike Holbrook
04-30-2013, 10:47 AM
I have been conversing with Glenn at Woodjoy about a 400mm "jigging" Bowsaw with Japanese Turbo blade he makes. He told me he has come up with a whole new spokeshave design that can adjust, up & down, side to side.....I thought my #85 was very adjustable. I am having trouble picturing exactly how the new one out adjusts his others. If I find out more I will post it here.

Scott M Perry
04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
I have the Veritas LA, and it was my go-to shave for a l-o-n-g time.

Tommy Martin
04-30-2013, 1:06 PM
I have the Veritas LA, and it was my go-to shave for a l-o-n-g time.

Couldn't help but ask as you said 'was' your go to shave, what are you using now?

Scott M Perry
04-30-2013, 1:18 PM
I'm using the Veritas small kit shave almost exclusively right now. Does fine on larger radius curves and straighjt grain (which is the bulk of what I use a spokeshave for, anyway).

Michael Ray Smith
05-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Well I know you made a couple for Archie England. He was VERY pleased with them.

Looks like Woodjoy makes a nice looking cigar shave (http://shop.woodjoytools.com/product.sc;jsessionid=891920F26F4F4C431F8EF6E0F6B0 D806.qscstrfrnt04?productId=17&categoryId=6) too for $89. Pretty nicely priced for what likely a low production volume boutique tool.

George made a couple of blades for me, too, and they work just as well as the originals. Matter of fact, I'm not sure I could pick them out.

Looks to me as if the Woodjoy shaves aren't quite the same as a MF cigarshave -- it looks as if the blade is flat, rather than curved. The round MF #1 shaves have a reputation of being tricky to use, but in my own experience and from what I've observed, the tricky part is sharpening them. The obvious (and wrong) way to sharpen them is to put a bevel on the outside. That works for a while, but eventually it produces a blade that doesn't work at all. The idea is to put the bevel on the inside, and that takes a little practice and/or the use of a jig.

Dave Cav
05-01-2013, 1:27 AM
Well, the low angle spokeshave is backordered, so I didn't get one. However, I didn't want to disappoint Rob so I did order a couple of Veritas O1 irons for my regular shaves and the short blade holding jig.

Chris Griggs
05-01-2013, 6:42 AM
Bummer dude! Why not just order it and wait the 3-4 weeks? I'm guessing you have a project you need it for now? Waiting for new toys is always hard... but then just when you start to forget that you ordered it you suddenly get and email saying that you have a new tools coming, and the money was spent so long ago that it feels like a free gift, so really backordered tools are the best.:)

Well at least you got some good stuff. LV O1 is nice steel.

Jack Curtis
05-01-2013, 8:10 PM
Bummer dude! Why not just order it and wait the 3-4 weeks? I'm guessing you have a project you need it for now? Waiting for new toys is always hard... but then just when you start to forget that you ordered it you suddenly get and email saying that you have a new tools coming, and the money was spent so long ago that it feels like a free gift, so really backordered tools are the best.:)...

I never intentionally place a backorder, usually wouldn't be a problem with LV; but there are just too many more ways for the order to go awry. Among other things, I use a special debit card for online ordering and only move funds into it when I need them for an order. I wouldn't want to leave hundreds in that card for online theft.

Also, I'd probably forget that I'd ordered it. :)

Chris Griggs
05-01-2013, 8:27 PM
I never intentionally place a backorder, usually wouldn't be a problem with LV; but there are just too many more ways for the order to go awry. Among other things, I use a special debit card for online ordering and only move funds into it when I need them for an order. I wouldn't want to leave hundreds in that card for online theft.

That is exceptionally cautious but is a really good idea. All it takes is one person getting the right info and you're in for HUGE loss of time and money. I don't even think about that at the sites I use regularly. Things like ebay, I paypal everything, which I like to think offers some protection.

I actually rarely backorder too, only when I REALLY want something and there is no other option.

Also, I'd probably forget that I'd ordered it. :)

:)My point exactly. Then when you do get it it feels like a free surprise gift!:)

Jack Curtis
05-03-2013, 12:47 AM
That is exceptionally cautious but is a really good idea. All it takes is one person getting the right info and you're in for HUGE loss of time and money. I don't even think about that at the sites I use regularly. Things like ebay, I paypal everything, which I like to think offers some protection...

Yeah, but it doesn't have much to do with the vendor, especially the LV's, it's those thieves out there. Besides, it's not how much is stolen, it's that something has been taken from you. I don't know of anyone who's OK with even small personal thefts. And then you have to go to all the hassle of cancelling accounts and cards.

It only feels like a freebie if I haven't bought a used or alternate version on ebay in the meanwhile. (: