PDA

View Full Version : Big Fat Lyre

David DeCristoforo
04-22-2013, 2:09 PM
They say you should be careful what you ask for because you might get it. I had been wishing I could find some more of that odd burl I had and, sure enough, I came across another piece. Only this one was quite a bit smaller and had a lot of surface cracks in it. I probably could have turned them away but it would have resulted in a much smaller form and I wanted to make a bigger one. My wife likes the cracks which show as black lines because, she says, it makes it look like stone. That's OK I guess because I think it bears a remarkable resemblance to a curling stone. I figured a big fat form like this should have a big fat finial too so there it is. 9" X 12" w/ rosewood lid and finial.

Lee Koepke
04-22-2013, 2:11 PM
very nice. the burl is amazing!
I especially like the finial.

Brian Kent
04-22-2013, 2:39 PM
Yay and Woohoo!

jwjerry w kowalski
04-22-2013, 2:50 PM
Nice, love the finial.

Dan Forman
04-22-2013, 2:57 PM
Really nice - glad it held together in spite of the cracks. I bet nobody tells you the finial should be thinner. :)

Dan

Roger Chandler
04-22-2013, 3:23 PM
Very nicely done, David..........I would like to see a better profile shot of the finial...........that wood is special!

Dan Hintz
04-22-2013, 4:23 PM
The finial makes this one... I hope I can remember that shape come time for the next vessel that would compliment it.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-22-2013, 5:56 PM
Lovely and the finial has changed from a clothespin to graceful swans back to back. Your wife has good taste, at least in wood :). Ok, probably husbands too.
faust

Kathy Marshall
04-23-2013, 2:21 AM
Beautiful David! Love the form and the wood and your finial is awesome!

Jerry Marcantel
04-23-2013, 9:44 AM
David, nuttin wrong with that "Big Fat" form. I'd rather see that than a pile of shavings trying to make it narrower. I'd also like to see the finial profile........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nathan Clark
04-23-2013, 6:06 PM
Like everyone else I'm drawn in by the finial. Is the finial an inside-out turning?

Mike Campbell KS
04-23-2013, 11:26 PM
I have only started trying hollow forms in the last few months, and while I love turning them, I have never really seen a need to try a finial. I have never seen one that I felt a great urge to try, until now. Both the form and the finial are fantastic. I find the form simple, yet it shows the beauty of the wood excellently, and the finial really blows me away. Great job.

Rick Markham
04-25-2013, 3:11 AM
Bravo Sir!!!!! I LOVE where you have taken the finial concept!!! Amazing David! The form is equally spectacular, and the two suit each other perfectly. +1 on Woo Hoo!