PDA

View Full Version : WoodCraft Visit

Keith Outten
05-09-2003, 7:51 PM
May 7th I visited the WoodCraft store in Richmond Virginia at the Willow Lawn Shopping Center. As I browsed the isles looking at all of the tools, equipment and supplies I was asked several times by their salesmen (there were 3) if I needed assistance or if they could help me find something of interest. The sales people were very friendly, not pushy at all. My visit to their store was very enjoyable and they have an excellent store.

When I went to the checkout counter I received a very friendly greeting and the salesman took his time to offer a casual conversation as he rang up my purchase. I asked him if he would be interested in joining us at SawMill Creek and explained what our community was about. The salesman called the manager of the store and he arrived in seconds. We talked for 15 minutes and the end result was that the store manager was very interested in SawMill Creek and even offered to consider getting involved in our FreeStuff Program as well as checking our web site out.

I was treated very well, the conversation was very friendly and the visit was very enjoyable. Maybe we will see a representative of their store join us in time, I hope so. I will definitely return to the WoodCraft store in Richmond Virginia.

Mark Hulette
05-09-2003, 8:09 PM
Keith-
I've always been treated well at the "local" Woodcraft store in Louisville, KY. The folks there seem genuinely interested in helping you get the information/service you need even if it doesn't necessarily translate into a sale.

I highly recommend them for any WWing need and think it will be great to have someone affiliated on SMC!

Ted Calver
05-09-2003, 8:17 PM
Keith,
My wife and I have made many a weekend trip to this store and have always been treated in a very courteous and friendly way. While I drool over the tools, she shops at the craft store conveniently located next door. (You'd be surprised how many tools you can sneak into the back of the truck when there is a craft store nearby!!) I will often call ahead to make sure they have what I want in stock and If they do, it's usually waiting up front with my name on it. They are the best!!

Jim Becker
05-09-2003, 9:38 PM
One of the nice things about Woodcraft stores is that most of them at this point are independently owned franchises. The folks who run them made a significant investment to open their store and it is in their best interest to do a good job for customers. I can't imagine any of the owners not to be woodworkers or at least woodworking enthusiasts, either!

They are not necessarily the least expensive place to shop, but their selection and/or availability is great and their satisfaction policies are strong.

Mike Evertsen
05-09-2003, 9:42 PM
the woodcraft here is about 30 miles but worth the drive,,,,,,,,I've always had good service from them,,,,not long ago the gave me deal on a 52" besmeyer fence I could pass up

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
05-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Keith, I was there the same day you were! I got there early to pick up some sanding sealer and some Salad Bowl finish. Since I work evenings, mornings are my window of opportunity. I would have really enjoyed meeting and talking to you. I think this site you've established, as well as all of the folks that come here, are the best. Every question I've asked, I've gotten several options and/or solutions. I know what you mean about the staff at Woodcrafters ... Ray (the owner) has been extremely helpful to me learning how to turn. I have never been made to feel like I wasn't important to them. Did you enjoy the display of turnings from the younger folks that they had set up? There were some beautiful turnings there. Again, sorry I missed you. Maybe you can give me a heads up sometime when you're heading this way, and we could talk shop or at least talk about the Creek.

Jim Young
05-09-2003, 11:24 PM
I for one don't like Woodcraft. I find that they are too close to my house (7 miles) and have far too much inventory on hand. They have been a constant source of financial drain on my house hold. If it weren't for them I would only see things in the magazines and never buy anything. Oh, another gripe, that stupid "wood of the month" deal has gotten me in trouble with my wife on several occasions.:D

Doug Ball
05-10-2003, 8:24 AM
I had the 'misfortune' of a Woodcraft opening just two miles from my home. My car knows the way!

Monte Bloyd
05-10-2003, 8:49 AM
You poor, sad, unforturnate people. To be tempted in such a manner is almost beyond bearing. It is bad enough out here that we did have a Home Depot open only Thirty miles away, so I feel your pain.

John Miliunas
05-10-2003, 8:58 AM
I'm with Doug and Jim on this one. The Woodcraft store is just a couple miles out of my way, when coming home from work. I hold them totally responsible for tacking on many extra miles, (almost weekly) to my already lengthy journey to/from work. Those guys even have my cell phone number and let me know the minute special order stuff has come in, so often, I can't even make a "scheduled" stop. A couple of them even have the audacity to let me know when stuff I'm interested in goes on the "closeout" table. They just *don't leave me alone*! Heck, they even know my wife, and now, she doesn't bother asking me what I might want for a birthday or holiday gift anymore! Sheeeesh! What an outfit! :D :D :cool:

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Those folks are nicest. Extremely helpful.
They also help me spend my money.
And are very astute!
Jim Young, You can always come to live by us. Then Woodcraft will be about 40 miles from home or as we in Western PA say it - way across tahn an you can't get there from here. Besides, thars cunstruksion inbetween.
:D

Jim Becker
05-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Doug Ball
I had the 'misfortune' of a Woodcraft opening just two miles from my home. My car knows the way!

Sadly, the Woodcraft that was someone close to where I live (really close to my former property) was closed when a new franchise opened up out in Downingtown. That's a bit farther than I want to drive. What was more of a shame is that the folks who worked at the old store in Bensalem were really great folks.

The good news is that I have a most excellent local independent dealer about 10 miles away (Woodworker's Haven in Southampton)...they are doing an incredible business now over and above the great business they were doing before.

But Tom, who runs the new Woodcraft is a nice fellow and I have done business with him via the shows.

Paul Regan
05-12-2003, 10:47 AM
I have to drive by the Woburn Woodcraft on my way to work and it is always very tempting. Many a time I have had a question or was seeking advice and ended up surrounded by their knowledgeable staff debating the pros and con of each approach. I never ran into a sales person there who didn’t know what they were talking about.

As for the stock they carry, it may be pricy but it seems like first quality.

No affiliation, just a past and future satisfied customer.

Tom Sweeney
05-12-2003, 11:29 AM
>>>>Sadly, the Woodcraft that was someone close to where I live (really close to my former property) was closed when a new franchise opened up out in Downingtown<<<<<

It's now about 5 miles from my house :D
I haven't spent any big coin there yet - but I'm sure I will in the future.

John Lucas
05-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Me too. I am spoiled having new Woodcraft just 15 minutes from me. The very best store, inventory, sales people and manager/owner. It so good that I make a point of going there first...have reduced catalog shopping immensely. They may be a few dollars more here and there but well worth it. It makes sense to support quality operations. Total kudos to Woodcraft store in RI.