PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
04-22-2013, 8:33 AM
22 Apr 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
Weather here has been very good with trees and flowers bursting into bloom. The garden is still too wet to till so it appears it's going to be a late garden this year.
Been really busy with work and getting a new HVAC unit installed. Our old unit was 18 years old and the HVAC folks said that whoever installed the original unit didn't know what they were doing and made a real mess of things. All that is getting fixed now and they've been here working for almost a week now. They have tentatively planned to be finished today. The anticipated monthly savings on our cooling bills are to be around 48% as per the HVAC guys. We have high hopes to be able to save that kind of money with the new duct work and new more efficient unit. Also replacing the old return air and all the supply registers with high air flow registers. Yes, we are excited about saving energy and having a better unit overall. At least now, we won't have to wonder if this year is the year the old unit breaks in the middle of summer. :)

Next will come new windows to replace the drafty old junky windows we have now.

Well, that's it for me....so what did you do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
04-22-2013, 8:45 AM
We had family in town from Pennsylvania and Missouri through about mid-day Sunday so we spent most of that time over at my parents. Saturday we all went to the local John Deere/Husqvarna/Stihl dealer so my nephew could see the tractors. I ended up coming home with a new string trimmer. Been considering moving up a few notches because I run a brush knife on it. Sunday I cleaned up the old one, advertised it, and sold it right away for what I wanted then did some tree pruning and watched LOMLjr shoot the BB gun.

Michael Dunn
04-22-2013, 9:01 AM
Saturday I made a new DC shroud with a 6" port for my TS. I stretched my 6" flex hose over some SD2729 to be mated with my soon to arrive CVC blast gates. I also did some shop cleaning. I made some custom cables for a friend/customer wireless transmitters. In the evening I ran sound for my friends band. I'm also a sound engineer in addition to being a woodworker.

Sunday we went to church. Wife and kids took a nap while I resisted the urge to go work in the shop. I try to have one day where I don't do anything. Very difficult, especially while unemployed. Then in the evening I found a PowerTec belt disc sander for $80 on CL. I know it's not the best, but it seems to be adequate for what I do and will likely be an upgrade from my Delta Shopmater 4"x6" BD sander.

Then the kids and I watched some cartoons before bed. I put the kids to bed, worked in the shop for a bit. Tinkering with the new sander, straightened up a bit more. Then the wife and I watched a movie and passed out in bed. It was a good weekend for me.

Paul Shaffer
04-22-2013, 9:10 AM
Hi, I had an extra day off on Friday thanks to the bombers (may he rot silently in a jail cell for 6+ decades). I used the time to listen to the news and get a lot of work done in the shop. Finished up all the "woodworking" for the kitchen cabinets by milling to size and cutting the tongue on the rest of my flat center panels to the shaker frame and panel assemblies. Saturday and Sunday were spent at little league, karate, church. But I also managed to get all 37 panels sanded to 180 grit. I went to Woodcraft and picked up some Abranet discs after reading so much good stuff about them... and it was true. I swear the 180 pads on my Bosch ROS gave less scratches than my 180 Mirka Gold paper by hand. The Bosch ROS was the best $60 I have spent so far, the vacuum dust collection was extraordinary and I didn't even have to wear a respirator except for the last hand sanding.

I was hoping to start spraying a first coat on the panels prior to assembly of the frame and panels tonight, but it is wicked cold here in New England (frost on the windshield), so I might have to wait a week or so.

Stay safe,
Paul

Alden Miller
04-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Picked up some hot pepper plants from the nursery (red ghost, yellow ghost, trinidad scorpion).

Adjusted and tried out my Leigh FMT for the first time, this is a sweeeeeeet tool!

Made a face frame for my new shop cabinet (with M&T joints of course).

-Alden

Shawn Pixley
04-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Record store day on Saturday morning. Rearranged my hand tool storage in the afternoon. We went to a concert on Saturday night. Sunday was dog exercise and designing an inlay motif for a box I am building. Pretty low key all in all.

Dave Cav
04-22-2013, 1:57 PM
Picked up and set up my "new" 1968 Powermatic 45 lathe, and put my old Delta 955 up for sale.

Joe Shinall
04-22-2013, 4:33 PM
Went to dinner with the parents Friday evening and then went shopping with the wife Saturday morning. Got some new shoes. Ugly as hell but really comfortable. I have flat feet so finding shoes is worse than shoe shopping with a woman except I don't spend near as much. Whatever happened to all shoes having good padding and arch support and it just came down to which ones you liked the design of?

Sunday played baseball and got hammered in our 4th game of the year. Bad defense and really bad umpiring lead to a not so fun ass kicking by the other guys.

Unfortunately, because it rained all day Friday and Saturday I got no time in the shop.

Kevin Bourque
04-22-2013, 4:51 PM
Thought about changing the oil in the tractor, thought about moving some firewood logs from the "far away" pile to the "nearby" pile, thought about fixing cow damaged fence, thought about sweeping out the barn, thought about doing all those things next weekend.

Jim Becker
04-22-2013, 8:34 PM
Lots of time at the barn this weekend because of a horse show and lessons, but I got the ZTR prepped for the mowing season...and mowed the lawn (which resembled a field due to the recent rain) for the first time. Also pressure washed the horse's winter blankets to get the gunk off prior to laundering them properly. Thinking about next projects in the shop...which will include the new kitchen table and likely another tack trunk commission.

Bill Wyko
04-23-2013, 1:24 AM
As much as I wanted & needed to work on my box for the contest, I didn't get much time. We have a dear friend with cancer and it doesn't look good. They had a brunch for her, close friends & family that ran almost til midnight. We had a wonderful time and got to spend some quality time with her & our friends. Today I got some work done on the hinges but I had to take my dad for a doctors appointment. He recently broke his hip so what ever he needs, I'm there for him. I'll have to pour it on this week though, my LOML works 3 nights this week so I'll be out in the shop until it's done. Nothing like cutting it close.:D

Rod Sheridan
04-23-2013, 8:07 AM
Bill, sorry to hear about your friend, however it sounds like you took care of the truly important things last weekend.................Rod.

Brian Tymchak
04-23-2013, 8:34 AM
Made it a 3-day weekend to finish the spring yard work - first mowing of the year, and cutting 200+ yards of bed edges and spreading 8 yards of mulch. With the 3-day weekend, I was also able to get back to the interior whole-house paint job I've been working on all winter. (I'm slow, I know. I hate painting. But there has been quite a bit of repair involved). Fixed one particularly troublesome spot in a bathroom Sunday where lots of condensation on a window had damaged the wall board. Once I get the interior painting done, it's out to the garage for lots more drywall repair, running some new outlets, painting, and new cabinets.

Geesh, with all the house maintenance, it's been at least a year since I did anything that I can really relate to woodworking.. I think it was to mill some stickers to stack some 19" wide 4/4 cherry (stealth gloat) I bought from a friend who runs a small milling service.

Doug Richardson
04-23-2013, 1:27 PM
Made Oak 1 1/2" tongue & groove flooring. Because my parents blessed us with a house that is full of things in sizes that they don't make anymore..... ;-)