PDA

View Full Version : MAGNEHELIC Guage recommended range of measurement for DC

Jery Madigan
04-22-2013, 1:20 AM
Hi,

I would like to set up a guage to keep track of my DC filter status. I notice that the unit that Oneida offers measures 1-5". Is this what I should be looking for?

Also, what else will I need to set this up? I prefer to buy it on ebay for cost reasons.

Thanks,

Jerry

John Lanciani
04-22-2013, 6:33 AM
0-5" works perfect for monitoring filters, 0-15" is a good range to monitor SP at the inlet.

Dick Mahany
04-22-2013, 9:53 AM
0-5" works perfect for monitoring filters, 0-15" is a good range to monitor SP at the inlet.

Agree with John's advise. I made a simple slack tube manometer from some vinyl tubing and water with food coloring for testing my inlet as it was only temporary to check the system after I connected everything. I did buy a 0-5" Minihelic from Dwyer Instruments (2-5005 gauge and A-302 static pressure tip). I think they were around $70 shipped. They have been installed in front of the filter for 2 years and it is great to readily see when the filter needs cleaning.

Jery Madigan
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys. Dick, what are the typical good and bad readings you get between the unit and filter?

Ole Anderson
04-22-2013, 2:20 PM
If you check on EBay, you can often find them at half the cost. With a freshly cleaned (not new) filter, I get around 1.6" of pressure with my top and bottom (3" and 5") TS gates open, around 900 cfm. Oneida says to not exceed 3" or the filters could be damaged. I clean the filter at 2.5" with the TS gates open. Different filters probably will have different numbers. Right gauge is the filter. I checked both gauges with a manometer as Dick described and they are both right on. Which led me to think I could have just stuck with the manometer. I still have it stuck on the back of the door to my DC closet.

Each gauge I got included two 1/8" pipe thread x 3/16" barbed connectors, all I needed was some 3/16" tube. I used an 1/8" pipe tap to thread the elbow above the filter and the inlet to the blower, worked fine without any backup nuts or sealant.

Dick Mahany
04-22-2013, 4:07 PM
Once the filter became "seasoned" I don't get below 1"WC after cleaning. I never let it get above 3" and measure it with two 6" gates fully opened. This is on an Oneida V3000.

Jery Madigan
04-22-2013, 4:44 PM
Thanks all. I think that I may just try the manometer route to start. I did pick up a couple of the A-302 units that Dick recommended.

Dick Mahany
04-22-2013, 9:15 PM
Thanks all. I think that I may just try the manometer route to start. I did pick up a couple of the A-302 units that Dick recommended.

The manometer route has several advantages:
1). I got to feel like Bill Nye the Science Guy
2). Almost zero cost (used free yardstick from the local hardware store for the "precision scale")
3). Really fun to watch as I opened gates on different legs of the piping system.
4). Convinces the wife that I'd truly lost it.
5). Got to read about this guy Otto von Guericke

Okay, I need a more exciting life:)

Jery Madigan
04-23-2013, 12:50 AM
And that is just a few of the many advantages :)

Jim German
04-23-2013, 7:15 AM
FYI, if you get one on ebay, make sure it includes the 1/8" NPT fittings and such otherwise you are likely to spend just as much getting the fittings and mounting plate as it would have cost to just get ti from Dwyer to begin with.

Ole Anderson
04-23-2013, 2:49 PM
FYI, if you get one on eBay, make sure it includes the 1/8" NPT fittings and such otherwise you are likely to spend just as much getting the fittings and mounting plate as it would have cost to just get ti from Dwyer to begin with.

Both of mine from eBay were complete, one was private labeled but made by Magnehelic.