PDA

View Full Version : Keller Dovetail Jig - 16 vs 24 w/ small bit set

Don Welch
04-21-2013, 6:54 PM
Before ordering a Keller dovetail jig, I'm looking for some user feedback on the Pro 16 and 24 models. While the majority of use envisioned will be drawers w/ 3/4 max stock thickness, it reads like the same bits called standard in the 16 inch version are "small" in the 24 inch version for use w/ stock on the lesser end of the range. It might be useful to have the 24 inch for case work if it can still be used for drawer joints. Am I reading this correctly? Which are yall used?

Grant Wilkinson
04-21-2013, 7:22 PM
I have the 16 and have only needed longer one time. That time, I just moved it down after cutting the first 16".

Richard Coers
04-21-2013, 11:45 PM
The bits may be the same description on the size, but the bearings on them are different. The 24 version uses a much bigger bearing. It also has a much wider center to center spacing. If you wanted to do some drawers that were only 3" high or so, you won't get many pins and the spacing would not look good. I have both fixtures because I felt it took both of them to get the size and spacings that looked right. A rather expensive solution, but the look is important to me. The 16 would not look right on a blanket chest, the 24 wouldn't look right on a small drawer. The 16 has a center to center spacing of 1 1/8, the 24 is 1 3/4. Doesn't sound like much until you see it.

tom coleman
04-22-2013, 7:40 AM
i bought the Peachtree version of Keller jig. Apparerntly the patent expired and multiple companies now building knockoffs. I purchased two 16 inch lengths that can be joined together for very long job. Also bougght the expanded bit set for dealing with thick or thin woods. If interested contact me

Don Welch
04-22-2013, 6:40 PM
Thanks Richard. That was exactly the type of experience that I was looking for.