PDA

View Full Version : Brian McEvoy's Large captive boring bar

Josh Bowman
04-21-2013, 5:05 PM
Does anyone have Brian's McEvoy's large boring system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4cAS9hohXc

http://www.onegoodturn.ca/

The thing is 1.5" x 6 foot bar with an independent rear support. Shipping weight is 95#'s!!

A friend has an extra and I'm giving it some thought.

If so what are you opinions??

Reed Gray
04-21-2013, 7:49 PM
Well, if you have a market for big hollow forms, probably a good piece of tooling. If you just want another toy, still a good idea. If I had metal working skills other than grinding, I would probably make one for myself, but don't. I had one made a while back, but never use it.

robo hippy

Eric Gourieux
04-21-2013, 10:42 PM
I have no experience with it. Do you know what rear support he uses?

Josh Bowman
04-22-2013, 6:18 AM
It's free standing and uses a wide roller. It's offset so it will slide under the ways of the bed.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2013, 7:49 AM
Josh, if you can get a fair deal on it, why not? It would take away any issues of bounce when turning forms that 15" or more deep. There have been a few times that I could have used this particular system as it frees up the bed of the lathe as well! The only limits I can see with it would be that you are limited to fairly straight/elongated forms - meaning vases - unless there are attachments that allow you to undercut shoulder areas.

Mike Golka
04-22-2013, 9:47 AM
Go for it. I bought one a few weeks ago and love it. The bar is around 50# but moves so easily that you can work it with one hand. If you want to do thin walled vessels it is a must.

Ronald Campbell
04-26-2013, 8:23 AM
Recently I have had the opportunity to use the system. My first attempt was a walnut about 12 inches in dia and 30 inches long. I have about 20 inches hollowed and have more to do. The bar is a beast. The weight makes it a great deal of work. The cutter that comes with the kit I used for only a short time. It is like the Sorby tear drop and it did not do the job on the walnut, yes it is green walnut. I changed to a small Hunter carbid and it cut great. I hope to finish the piece this week. It is a basic shape as it is my first with this tool. I think Brian cuts mostly birch and I have a couple logs coming and will follow up when I work on those. Ron