PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else enjoy record store day?

Shawn Pixley
04-21-2013, 3:08 AM
Did anyone else do record store day? LOML and I got in line at 9:00. We were far from the first. Independent record stores and indie publishers are becoming scarce. We know the owner and his son. They offered coffee, donuts and water to the queued up patrons. LOML went a bit crazy with her purchases (there were some very cool items). Tonight we went and saw a concert as well. Yes, weekends are good.

Eric DeSilva
04-21-2013, 9:53 AM
Since it was RSD, I went out of my way to stop by my local independent record shop. Seemed like a lot of folks in the store, but they had nothing indicating it was RSD. Maybe I missed it. Sadly, didn't find anything that I really wanted, and I didn't even see any of the limited edition releases for RSD at all. Maybe 1PM was too late?

Shawn Pixley
04-21-2013, 12:21 PM
I think the stores have a lot of discretion. Ours publicised it well. They had a local band play in the parking lot when we were in line. When we got in, all of the limited relaeases had some stock left. By the time we left, several of them were sold out. My guess is that you were too late and / or your store didn't get much stock.

We lost one of the local independent store last year -a victim of the economy and technology. IPods are wonderful for portable music, but the sound quality is so far below what it should be. I think that is part of the vinyl resurgence.

Stephen Cherry
04-21-2013, 4:40 PM
IPods are wonderful for portable music, but the sound quality is so far below what it should be. I think that is part of the vinyl resurgence.

No kidding- it seems to me that they should have shot for at least cd quality. I tried running an ipod through my stereo system and comparing it to a cd- it just does not compare in any way.

That said, there just is not much new music coming out that I know about that inspire me to spend the money for it. I'm hoping that there are new bands out there that are good, but I don't know what they are. I came up in the 70's when there was more great music than you could hope to ever listen to.

Phil Thien
04-21-2013, 4:45 PM
That said, there just is not much new music coming out that I know about that inspire me to spend the money for it.

I have no problem finding content I'd like to listen to, but the engineering these doesn't leave a lot to be desired, it leaves EVERYTHING to be desired. They compress the snot out of everything, thirty-seconds into most tracks you're just listening to noise.

Classical music is typically (not always) the exception.

Jim Matthews
04-21-2013, 5:38 PM
[QUOTE=Shawn Pixley;2099629Tonight we went and saw a concert as well. Yes, weekends are good.[/QUOTE]

I gather you don't have kids, yet.
Weekends are what make Mondays relaxing, at my house.

Myk Rian
04-21-2013, 5:41 PM
I have a Pioneer PL-71, bought it new, that I've been considering selling.
Have a box of records, but just don't listen to them.

Shawn Pixley
04-21-2013, 5:57 PM
I gather you don't have kids, yet.
Weekends are what make Mondays relaxing, at my house.

We do have a son. He has pretty good taste in music as well. He is a musician and is in 5 bands. He is an audio engineer.

Shawn Pixley
04-21-2013, 6:10 PM
That said, there just is not much new music coming out that I know about that inspire me to spend the money for it. I'm hoping that there are new bands out there that are good, but I don't know what they are. I came up in the 70's when there was more great music than you could hope to ever listen to.

There are a lot of good bands out there. They problem tends to be getting access to it. Independent, quality radio stations are a dying breed. The only radio stations that interest me are college stations. One, I can only access on the internet.

The new progressive rock revival (new bands, not old bands doing reunions) is pretty interesting. There are a lot of bands doing self publishing. I tend to go for alternative bands, but have a collection of all genres less Pop, Rap, and Country.

Eric DeSilva
04-21-2013, 8:16 PM
No kidding- it seems to me that they should have shot for at least cd quality. I tried running an ipod through my stereo system and comparing it to a cd- it just does not compare in any way.

The key is to buy the CD and rip it yourself. Forget AAC or MP3, rip it to Apple Lossless or FLAC (pretty close to the same thing)--both are non-lossy compression formats, so the original bitstream can be recovered from the compressed version. But, you save some headroom in storage. While I still have a turntable attached to the system upstairs, and still enjoy the ritual of vinyl, 99% of the listening that gets done in and around my house is playback of Apple Lossless files through network devices (although usually outputting digital PCM to stereo systems with outboard DACs). I use Slim Devices network devices, although they seem to be getting phased out. Played through a high end stereo, you can't tell the difference between a CD and a network file. One nice thing about the system I use is that most of my listening can be tracked through Last.FM, and their "recommendations" is a good new music discovery system for me. I'm long past the days where I had friends spinning songs on college radio who could let me in on new bands, so this is how I stay in touch with what's new and good (good at least to me).

Pat Barry
04-21-2013, 8:32 PM
I never heard it called record store day. I thought they called it pot day.

Kevin Bourque
04-21-2013, 10:50 PM
How much does an LP cost these days?