PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good deal on a Unisaw?

Troy Turner
04-20-2013, 9:56 PM
I was doing my usual browsing today and came across a fella selling a 34-450. I see alot of ya'll talk about how good "old iron" is and thought it might be time to part with my mid 80's Craftsman.

He only has the one pic. I called him up and he said he's used it for years, but found another one he wants to use and doesn't need this one. I have a Vega fence I'll put on it. I haven't looked at it closer or heard it run. He said he's using 220 on it. I have 220 available in the shop if need be. He's asking $500 for it. Seem a little high (maybe) but I thought I'd get ya'll's opinion too.

Any info you have would be much appreciated.

Keith Bohn
04-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Any info you have would be much appreciated.

It looks post 60's.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/DeltaSerialNumbers.ashx

Is the side opening oval or rectangular?

Dave Cav
04-20-2013, 10:32 PM
I'd say it's a decent but not great deal assuming it runs and doesn't make any horrible noises, and the cabinet hasn't been butchered. Unless you have firm proof otherwise, you need to assume the bearings (and grease) in the motor and arbor are at least 25-30 + years old, and should probably be replaced. Overhauling and restoring one of these isn't difficult or particularly expensive, and there is a ton of info at both owwm dot com and dot org.

It's right tilt, and doesn't have any microprocessors in it, but if you get it for $500 and put another $100 in bearings, paint and your time into it, you'll have a MUCH better saw than you could get for twice, or even three times as much.

Troy Turner
04-20-2013, 10:46 PM
It looks post 60's.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/DeltaSerialNumbers.ashx

Is the side opening oval or rectangular?

Keith - Not sure. I may drive down tomorrow (about an hour) and look around it. I can just see the motor on the side so I'm going to bet it doesn't have a cover.

I'd say it's a decent but not great deal assuming it runs and doesn't make any horrible noises, and the cabinet hasn't been butchered. Unless you have firm proof otherwise, you need to assume the bearings (and grease) in the motor and arbor are at least 25-30 + years old, and should probably be replaced. Overhauling and restoring one of these isn't difficult or particularly expensive, and there is a ton of info at both owwm dot com and dot org.

It's right tilt, and doesn't have any microprocessors in it, but if you get it for $500 and put another $100 in bearings, paint and your time into it, you'll have a MUCH better saw than you could get for twice, or even three times as much.

Dave - I'm hoping to be able to sell my saw and this fence to help make up some difference. Hopefully he's not to firm on his price ;) Do ya'll think an offer of say $300 or $350 get me thrown off his property?

Bill Geibe
04-20-2013, 11:11 PM
That model, the 34-450, was one of the most popular Uni's and was sold for years. I'm thinking 60's into early 70's but I could be wrong on that.

I paid $250 for a newer model with no motor at all so I think $500 is more than fair for a complete, running saw, assuming there's nothing major wrong with it other than ugly paint. You have the dust door and the lock knobs appear to be there. That's obviously not an original switch. There's no motor cover but that was an optional extra. Guard and splitter? If missing, that might be a bargaining chip. Table top looks like it might be a bit rough but that's best inspected in person.

You made no mention of the motor. I would guess 1-1/2 HP single phase as that was a common setup.

Bill

Troy Turner
04-21-2013, 1:30 PM
Size of the motor. Hmmm guess that would've been a good piece of info to ask about. May have to give him another call. Don't think I can make it down there today.

Rich Riddle
04-21-2013, 3:31 PM
That seems like a fair price for an older Unisaw. It doesn't take long to change bearings, etc. and rebuild a saw. It has the older fence model if that's of any concern to you. You won't get hurt at that price.