PDA

View Full Version : Need advise

Craig Matheny
04-20-2013, 8:05 PM
I am going to need to turn about 8 legs from cedar 4 x 4's for a honey do project they do not need to look the same just be the same height. I will be doing this on my shopsmith being my rikon is way too small. THe question to start to shape from the 4 x 4 down what speed would be a safe starting point. Also any other advise would be great also....

Thanks

Harry Robinette
04-20-2013, 8:37 PM
Well first do you have a speed reducer on your ShopSmith ? Just joking. You should be able to start roughing about at your low speed which I believe is 750 rpm,or higher at maybe 1000 rpm.Once your round go from there to a comfortable speed for you. Remember constantly check the tightness of your work piece SS are known for loosening quills. Mine wasn't bad till I put the 2 bearing spindle in it.
Hope this helps.

Craig Matheny
04-20-2013, 8:54 PM
Thanks yeah I have not had a lot of luck turning on it and that is why I have my little Rikon, I do not remeber if it has just pin type ends or if it has a plate I could screw on to keep the drive going.

Dick Mahany
04-20-2013, 9:45 PM
I agree that 750 RPM is probably a good place to start. As far as technique, I adopted Alan Lacer's grind on a couple of skews and immediately became a fan of the skew chisel and his described "peeling cut" . I was about ready to chuck my skews, but now use them exclusively for going from square to round, no matter what size I start with.

charlie knighton
04-20-2013, 9:48 PM
not being a smart ass, but choose another wood, cedar looks great when everything works, have a backup plan

Craig Matheny
04-20-2013, 9:59 PM
Charlie one phrase comes to mind...

"Happy Wife, Happy Life" :D

Craig Matheny
04-20-2013, 10:01 PM
I agree that 750 RPM is probably a good place to start. As far as technique, I adopted Alan Lacer's grind on a couple of skews and immediately became a fan of the skew chisel and his described "peeling cut" . I was about ready to chuck my skews, but now use them exclusively for going from square to round, no matter what size I start with.
What is this grind you speak of as I hate my skews they make great weeders my wife says J/K

Dick Mahany
04-21-2013, 9:31 AM
Here's Alan Lacer describing how to sharpen his skew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCxDToHm6Y. I don't hone mine and just use it as is directly off the grinder.

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2013, 9:44 AM
I also grind my skews as Lacer does. He showed us a demo. I love using skews and have 7 of them.

robert baccus
04-21-2013, 2:48 PM
Skews are wonderful if you invest 2 years in training--most of mine have stuck up in the ceiling over the lathe. They make me nervous yeah.

Thomas Canfield
04-21-2013, 8:44 PM
I agree that 750 or 1000 rpm would be safe starting speed for the 4" square(?) and fairly balanced stock. For the number you are doing and length, I would probably take the time to set up and cut off the corners with either table saw or band saw to speed up the process. That will also reduce the amount of shavings/trash to haul out. I don't do many spindles, but like my 1 1/2" spindle roughing gouge with large cutting surface and easier sharpening just grinding the bevel. I do use a hone to touch up the edge a couple of times before resharpening.

Michelle Rich
04-22-2013, 5:48 AM
cedar is very soft..watch that it stays secure between centers.. start the lowest speed you can It could help to get them to an octogon shape first if your lathe has a very high start speed