PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bid on anything at the big auction today?

David Weaver
04-20-2013, 7:40 PM
The MJD auction, that is. I wanted a bunch of the saws that were on today and yesterday. I'd imagine it's likely I'll get the saws I didn't want that badly, but the two I really wanted, probably not because they had too much collector value.

Anyone else bidding on anything? I know some of you guys blanket the auction with lowball bids on various things.

Tony Zaffuto
04-20-2013, 8:59 PM
I looked at the offerings and saw some plumb bobs I wanted, a few small anvils (modern vintage - last 30 years) some saws and some woodies. I considered the range of prices marked for each, and did not bid on a singe item.

I've gotten to the point that for the dollars expended, for example, I will not accept a saw plate with a bend, a plane with a hang hole not identified and so forth. After all this is an auction and try as he does, it is hard for Martin to get every detail exactly described. Because of that, over the past few years, I decided to only buy from proven internet dealers (Leach-meister, for one) or at tool sales, such as PATINA or the Brown sales.

David, it is not too far to drive to Avoca, NY this summer for Martin's big blow out. That is a sale when box lots can really yield some interesting things. Since it is due north of me, you can pick me up on the way there:).

David Weaver
04-20-2013, 9:24 PM
I got four saws from the last auction, and I could swear that all but the one on the bottom had the exact same bend because they tied them together tightly. Fortunately, the one saw I have fiddled with so far hammered out easily, but I would be unhappy if it was an expensive saw.

Wife's knocked up and I'm redoing the kitchen, so I'd imagine I won't be going anywhere this summer...unfortunately. Unless work would send me up that way, might be a good reason to scout for clients there.

I have a bid on the next brown sale, but I doubt it's enough to win, which is OK, i don't need anything but time.

Harold Burrell
04-20-2013, 9:53 PM
I looked at the offerings and saw some plumb bobs I wanted, a few small anvils (modern vintage - last 30 years) some saws and some woodies. I considered the range of prices marked for each, and did not bid on a singe item.

I've gotten to the point that for the dollars expended, for example, I will not accept a saw plate with a bend, a plane with a hang hole not identified and so forth. After all this is an auction and try as he does, it is hard for Martin to get every detail exactly described. Because of that, over the past few years, I decided to only buy from proven internet dealers (Leach-meister, for one) or at tool sales, such as PATINA or the Brown sales.

David, it is not too far to drive to Avoca, NY this summer for Martin's big blow out. That is a sale when box lots can really yield some interesting things. Since it is due north of me, you can pick me up on the way there:).

I got four saws from the last auction, and I could swear that all but the one on the bottom had the exact same bend because they tied them together tightly. Fortunately, the one saw I have fiddled with so far hammered out easily, but I would be unhappy if it was an expensive saw.

Wife's knocked up and I'm redoing the kitchen, so I'd imagine I won't be going anywhere this summer...unfortunately. Unless work would send me up that way, might be a good reason to scout for clients there.

I have a bid on the next brown sale, but I doubt it's enough to win, which is OK, i don't need anything but time.

Seriously, it would be neat if you guys came to the Avoca sale. I plan to be there (since it is about 45 min. from me). I'd like to meet you. :)

Mel Miller
04-20-2013, 10:48 PM
I have a bid in on a nice level, hoping to get it. It is hard to see all the details in an auction picture, but you can return an item if you feel it was over described. All of the dealers, Leach included, tend to over promote their tools, apparently hoping you won't go to the effort of returning them.

Tony Zaffuto
04-21-2013, 6:00 AM
Harold,

Avoca, so far, looks good for me and is less than a 3 hour drive.

Mel,

I've returned an item to Donnelly for a bad auction description: Stanley A6 had a hang hole not identified. They refunded all costs, including shipping. I have had excellent luck with Patrick Leach and Josh Clark. Leach prices his stuff at retail and Clark prices more competitively. Leach's items lean more towards collectors, unless he states user and Clarks' items are more the opposite, but in the long run, I find I spend less money buying specific items than getting caught up in an auction setting, bidding on things that aren't the highest on my list.

David,
As far as saws go, I have many dozens, including vintage & modern. Early 2012, I picked up a full Foley package (just to get the re-toother), thinking I would try my hand at making a saw or two, and wanting to start with even teeth. I'm still thinking, as I just don't have the time.

peter gagliardi
04-21-2013, 9:46 AM
I took the trek up there with my sons and a fellow guild member on Saturday. There appeared to be a bit of $$$ in the room, so we didn't bother with the auction, though there were a few nice things there. We went for the tailgate sellers in the parking lot- usually a lot better deals to be had- it was a blowout. The rain had stopped prior to the start, but not before scaring all but 3 vendors away!! All I wanted was to get my boys started with some nice basic tools to start their tool kits.

David Weaver
04-21-2013, 7:46 PM
Came up short on every single saw lot. I would've liked the #9 and the very vintage 7, but they brought huge dollars for their shape, especially the 7.

https://www.mjdtools.com/AuctionItem.php?axcode=SC13&lotNum=105

https://www.mjdtools.com/AuctionItem.php?axcode=SC13&lotNum=217

On second look...the 7's not that bad.

I didn't notice a partial broken tooth on the 9, I was slobbering over that one for 8/4 stock. Iffy to get a consistently hardened saw, though, when you go that far back.

They were both at the very top or outside of their range.

There were what I'd call semi-junk lots, too, saws that are very pitted or just not that desirable, and I didn't get any of those, either. Some of them went really high. Must've been a banner day there.

Mel Miller
04-21-2013, 11:20 PM
I lost out on the level I wanted, even though I bid higher than the estimate.

Brian Thornock
04-22-2013, 8:37 AM
I've never heard of this auction before, but it is located about 1.5-2 hrs from me, so maybe I should head out in July or something (assuming the wife lets me slip away for a day). There is some great stuff going on there.

David Weaver
04-22-2013, 9:31 AM
There's definitely a bigger pile of stuff there than you'll find most places, and it's sold there before some of the "MINT" and "FINE" ebay sellers who way overdescribe and overprice items get a hold of it. It does seem like there are a few tool sellers creating a bubble for some of the basic tools, though. There's a particular few on ebay who will take a saw that is poorly cleaned with pitting history, etc, call it FINE (which is supposed to be reserved for a tool that is almost perfect) and price it ridiculously.

I wonder if some of the lots of saws that I bid on went to those types of folks, or if they just went to people who lost their heads. When I see some of the stuff on ebay, like $300-500 disston #12s that aren't close to even fine, and $250 common thumbhole rips, it just makes me shake my head.

Zach Dillinger
04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I thought I had bid on some stuff absentee, but apparently I forgot to click the submit button. Really bummed, as there were a couple of lots I really wanted.

David Weaver
04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
No worries, Zach. I bid healthy amounts on a bunch of stuff and got none of it. As mel mentioned and as Peter said, there was apparently a LOT of dollars wanting a place to go in that room.

I thought for sure that I would get most of the saws I bid on, some at the top of the range, and the notifications I got had final values I couldn't make sense of. Really wanted the #9 ripper, though!!! I understand it on those rarer saws in good condition, I was $25 off the top bid, but you never know where the winner goes to if you push it (could've gone another $100), but the bulk lots of common saws....really, jeez. 6 saws with three "ok" common but nothing special saws and 3 basket cases going for $150+ shipping/fees (close to $200)?

Zach Dillinger
04-22-2013, 12:46 PM
You're probably right. I used to win a fair number of lots a couple of years ago. Now, I'm hard pressed to win anything. User stuff is going for more these days. Thanks a lot, Chris Schwarz... :)

Mike Allen1010
04-22-2013, 1:33 PM
Living in the "hand tool desert" Southern California, I am totally jealous of you guys who are within driving distance of these auctions. I would love to go just to look through all the tools for sale in the parking lots!

I'm not familiar with the MJD auction site; is there a way to search through the listings by specific tool type or do you just have to page through? I am also wondering if you are able to know what the final selling price was?

David, thanks for bringing this up and posting the link.

all the best, Mike

David Weaver
04-22-2013, 1:57 PM
I don't know if there's an individual search. If there is, I've never found it. It's a good thing to just browse a page or two at a time.

Zach Dillinger
04-22-2013, 2:00 PM
https://www.mjdtools.com/WebCD/CDBrowse.php?setAuction=AL13

This link will give you the option to search the July auction by keyword or view by category.

David Weaver
04-22-2013, 2:10 PM
Thanks zach. That at least allowed me to make several futile bids on the july auction.

Mike Allen1010
04-22-2013, 3:09 PM
Thanks Zach, this is a tool junkie's dream!

Some of those lots must have boxes with 50-70 hand saws in them -- that's quite a treasure hunt! I really couldn't imagine pawing through all those - must represent months and months of rust removal alone!

I know it's a general question, but do any of these mega lots of handsaw's really sell for anywhere near the "suggested price range"?

Must.... fight.... the temptation.... Put down the keyboard and step away from the computer!

Mike

Tony Zaffuto
04-22-2013, 5:08 PM
Personally, I liked the methods of absentee bidding on Brown Tool Auctions (Clarence Blanchard, formerly of Fine Tool Journal). With MJD auctions, there is a "byzantine twist" to when your bid caps are met. On another note, for the first Avoca auction for which I submitted an absentee bid, I won some sort of item (can't remember, but doesn't really matter), anyhow upon receipt of the shipped item, I found a very heavy, wooden crate sitting at my front door. Opened it up and found the item I won, PLUS a 10 to 12" OD cast iron pipe T that must have weighed several hundred pounds. Couldn't find the pipe T in the MJD description and Martin knew nothing of it, so the pipe was sold for scrap to offset the very high shipping costs.

Tony Zaffuto
04-22-2013, 5:10 PM
With Avoca, you may be better off using absentee bids instead of being overwhelmed with auction-itis! Also because of the sheer number of lots, the auction moves at a quick pace, so you have to pay close attention to make sure you bid on the lots you want.