PDA

View Full Version : Log cutting saw

John Powers
04-20-2013, 6:44 PM
This request dovetails unfortunately with the lesson learned thread. I cut fallen trees, the neighbors mostly with a chain saw. I don't like using it. I recently bought a saw from a company I won't name. It came massively set and is unusable. I don't want to putz with it. Its dead to me and so is the vendor. I'll find a use for the steel. It ain't me. I've used one and two man saws going back to the army. Can anyone recommend a great one man saw that will handle a ten inch wet log or should i just keep an eye on Craigslist and sand off the hand painted quaint scene. Thanks.

Jack Curtis
04-21-2013, 10:14 PM
I personally use one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Vintage-Maebiki-Nokogiri-Whale-Back-Saw-100-Years-old-GREAT-/140955426813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d1991ffd

David Weaver
04-21-2013, 10:20 PM
I'd go for vintage, but clean. And I'd pay the dollars to get a saw that hadn't seen rust or disuse.

robert dankert
04-22-2013, 7:42 PM
You said it was "from a company I won't name". I've never seen a Jemco, but your description sure sounds like what I've read about them. Anyway, you might consider a vintage saw. I wish I could suggest what to look for but my experience is very limited. However, there is lot of knowledge and experience at this site: http://www.crosscutsawyer.com/index.php. Hope you find a saw you like.

Steve Friedman
04-22-2013, 10:38 PM
I have a Bahco 30" bow saw that will slice through a 10" wet log like a hot knife through butter. There are several 4" logging saws on the auction site (without artwork), but could be a bear to sharpen. I know nothing about the maker or quality, but just saw that Highland Hardware sells a new 4' one man saw for $75. I'm tempted.

Steve

Noah Wagener
04-24-2013, 1:25 PM
here is a link to a Roubo frame saw
http://schoolofwood.com/node/59

Matt Ranum
04-25-2013, 10:41 PM
I ended up with a Craftsman D handle crosscut saw from my wife's Grandfathers estate. I think it dates back to the '20-'30's based on the etching. Been moving it around my shop for a year and have been thinking about cleaning it up and using it to buck up some firewood. Anyone around here use these much?

David Weaver
04-25-2013, 10:43 PM
I have a Bahco 30" bow saw that will slice through a 10" wet log like a hot knife through butter.

Best suggestion yet, probably. And about $20.

David Weaver
04-25-2013, 10:49 PM
I ended up with a Craftsman D handle crosscut saw from my wife's Grandfathers estate. I think it dates back to the '20-'30's based on the etching. Been moving it around my shop for a year and have been thinking about cleaning it up and using it to buck up some firewood. Anyone around here use these much?

Identify the tooth pattern first and make sure it will be appropriate for what you want.

There is a forum for crosscut timber saws, called crosscutsawyer.com. I'd imagine you'll get much better advice there.

Matt Ranum
04-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks David I'll check it out.

robert dankert
04-26-2013, 7:30 PM
Identify the tooth pattern first and make sure it will be appropriate for what you want.

There is a forum for crosscut timber saws, called crosscutsawyer.com. I'd imagine you'll get much better advice there.

See post #4 above for the link to crosscutsawyer.com

Don Orr
04-27-2013, 9:21 PM
This request dovetails unfortunately with the lesson learned thread. I cut fallen trees, the neighbors mostly with a chain saw. I don't like using it. I recently bought a saw from a company I won't name. It came massively set and is unusable. I don't want to putz with it. Its dead to me and so is the vendor. I'll find a use for the steel. It ain't me. I've used one and two man saws going back to the army. Can anyone recommend a great one man saw that will handle a ten inch wet log or should i just keep an eye on Craigslist and sand off the hand painted quaint scene. Thanks.

How about learning to set and file the saw you have to make it do what you want it to? I have had to adjust the set on some fairly expensive pruning saws that came with no set at all. Sometimes even new tools need a little work. Really not that hard to do. I'll bet the folks on that timber saw website that was posted earlier could help you out. And it can be kind of fun to tune a tool that you thought was useless into a real champ. Give it a shot-what do you have to lose!

David Weaver
04-27-2013, 9:31 PM
See post #4 above for the link to crosscutsawyer.com

oops!.......

John Powers
04-28-2013, 3:11 PM
I'm heading up to Hancock ny for a week pursuing trout on the west branch of the Delaware. Got a line on a sharpener up there. We'll see how that works out. There is a lot of info on the web and I'll give it a shot if I must but I'd prefer to have a pro get then set up so i can touch up in the future.

Don Orr
05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
If you end up still hating it after your guy touches it up, let me know and I might buy it from you. I could use a bigger saw for trail work.

Good luck on the river!