PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan my 2017 Sabbatical

Brian Kent
04-20-2013, 5:23 PM
Time to plan a 3 month woodworking sabbatical.

Sometimes a Sabbatical is for professional development. This one will be for refreshment and rest. I think I can combine vacation and continuing education over a couple of years and have a 3 month Sabbatical in 2017.

What can I do for 3 months on the artistic / creative / woodworking, etc. time of life? Maybe a day or two in 60 Sawmill Creek shops!

My Tabla Rasa is ready. Inspire me!

Phil Rose
04-20-2013, 5:49 PM
Thinking 60 Creekers in 90 days might be an interesting book...

Thom Sturgill
04-20-2013, 6:26 PM
There is an annual AAW symposium, but I have no idea when or where in 2017, but that would be a good start. If you like visiting the east coast (actually the Appalachian Mountains), there are great classes available at the John C Campbell Folk School in Brasswtown NC. Great people and a great setting. Arrowmont on the other side of the mountains in TN, offers more art oriented classes, but I believe, lacks the folksy setting of Campbell. I'm sure there are also schools in other parts of the country depending on your specific interests.

Wally Dickerman
04-20-2013, 7:02 PM
Thom has it right. If you want your sabbbatical to be at least partly about woodturning classes are fun and would be very helpful to further your turning. You have plenty of time to do some investigating. First, in 2013 you have no idea what kind of turning will be your big interest in 2017. In 2016 you'll know a lot more and can pick a good teacher to learn from. Either one on one or in a class. There is a wide range of teachers out there to help you.

I really wish that I had the opportunity that you have. Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's I struggled to learn on my own. I knew no other turners and knew of no teachers or classes to take.

Reed Gray
04-20-2013, 8:09 PM
Well, if you are up Oregon way, stop on by.

Will you be in Phoenix next year?

robo hippy

Brian Kent
04-20-2013, 9:39 PM
Well, if you are up Oregon way, stop on by.

Will you be in Phoenix next year?

robo hippy

What happens in Phoenix.

charlie knighton
04-20-2013, 9:44 PM
the national woodturning symposium in usuallly late june, it moves aroound the country, tampa this june, phoenix in 2014

Reed Gray
04-20-2013, 10:43 PM
I think the second weekend in June, the AAW Symposium. I will be there. Input data over load!

robo hippy

Brian Kent
04-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Nice. Usually I have my Annual Conference for my work the second or third week of June. I hope the time is open.

Noah Barfield
04-21-2013, 2:36 AM
You may want to consider a week long class at schools like Arrowmont or Anderson Ranch. There are many world class turners who teach these week-long sessions. That's what I'd do if I were taking a sabbatical!

Dan Forman
04-21-2013, 2:56 AM
Keep an eye on Stuart Batty's website. He is putting together what looks like a pretty incredible teaching facility in Boulder CO. Not much going on there yet, but by the time you are ready, he ought to be in full swing. Stuart Batty Woodturning School | Stuart Batty Woodturning (http://woodturning.org/school/)

Dan

Jim Watkins
04-22-2013, 10:18 PM
It's not woodworking related, but on Aug 21st of 2017 is a total solar eclipse visible in the midwest as well as across the entire USA. If your going on a vacation, I would add that to your list of things to do...

curtis rosche
04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
how far are you going?

John Keeton
04-23-2013, 5:59 AM
Brian, on my list would definitely be the AAW symposium, and a week long class at John C. Campbell Folk School. Your wife will thoroughly enjoy JCC, and she can take a class the same week - cooking, quilting, basketry, etc. Fantastic setting with great food.

There are a multitude of symposiums across the country, including the Ohio Valley Woodturning Guild event in October. Again, a great venue, very intimate setting, and great food.

You might want to put away enough money for all of this, as not much about this hobby is free. On the other hand, fellow turners are gracious with their time, so touring various shops of creekers may be a consideration. Bernie did that last year, as I recall. If you find yourself in the area, you are welcome to stop by my humble shop.

John Beaver
04-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Check out Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport Maine (woodschool.org). They have workshops in woodturning as well as all the other woodworking disciplines. You could take back to back 1 week classes or a 12 week intensive.

Brian Kent
04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
I live about a mile from Mike Jackovsky. I could see what he's up to.

John Keeton
04-23-2013, 3:37 PM
I live about a mile from Mike Jackovsky. I could see what he's up to.That would certainly be a good start!! I think I would have already investigated that possibility, Brian.;)

Montgomery Scott
04-23-2013, 4:15 PM
If you're not set on woodturning http://www.insidepassage.ca/

Brian Kent
04-23-2013, 5:20 PM
That would certainly be a good start!! I think I would have already investigated that possibility, Brian.;)

The first time I contacted him he was on the mentor list for San Diego Woodturners. He didn't exactly know how to respond to a total novice at the time, so I told him I'd be back when I had turned enough to know what to ask him. :)

Jon Lanier
04-23-2013, 5:21 PM
I was going to suggest this: http://www.shangrilawoodworks.com/Classes.html but I see they've quit doing the classes. Perhaps by 2017 they'll bring them back?

Jim Burr
04-23-2013, 5:56 PM
To offer something different...maybe nail down a style or dicipline you've struggled with. HF, pens, platters, composite works. Schools are cool...headed here in July http://arkansascraftschool.org/. If I may suggest...go into it with a plan. Even if it changes...you still started somewhere!

Brian Kent
04-23-2013, 6:14 PM
how far are you going?

Today, as far as imagination will take me. 4 years from now I can narrow that down a bit.:rolleyes:

curtis rosche
04-23-2013, 8:05 PM
Today, as far as imagination will take me. 4 years from now I can narrow that down a bit.:rolleyes:
well, if you get out to PA.... I know i good place to eat :D