PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Coreldraw x6 question

Tim Earling
04-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I currently have Coreldraw x3 installed on my Dell 8100 XPS (I7 processor). It frequently crashes on me and I was told by Epilog that it's because it's a 32 bit program. They said if I upgrade to Coreldraw x6 I wouldn't have that problem because its a 64 bit program. Just wondering if this is true.
Also, I am looking at buying the Coreldraw X6 program on EBay for $45 ~ $85 Graphic Suite. They also have a Home and Student Edition for a little less - can anyone recommend which one is better?

Walt Langhans
04-20-2013, 2:03 PM
I currently have Coreldraw x3 installed on my Dell 8100 XPS (I7 processor). It frequently crashes on me and I was told by Epilog that it's because it's a 32 bit program.

First question what is the program doing when it crashes. The fact that it's 32bit really doesn't / shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Next question is your current computer 64 bit? Because if it's not there is no point in buying a 64 bit edition of Corel.

As for which program is better it all comes down to if you will be using the extra features that come with the more expensive version.

rich shepard
04-20-2013, 3:02 PM
It's not a Corel problem it's a windows 7 problem. My system with win 7 crashed every time I tried to send a large job to the laser. Win 7 tries to convert the Corel 32 bit file to 64 and locks up and I have Corel X-5. I went and got a old XP machine to work on, problem solved. I'd go with the full version of Corel over the school version as you can upgrade later.

Tim Earling
04-20-2013, 3:47 PM
Walt,
My coreldraw program will freeze up. It normally happens when I am in the print driver and getting ready to send a job. The program freezes. I can access other programs no problem, but not Corel. So I have to force it to close and restart my computer to get it working again.
My system operates on a 64 bit.

Tim Earling
04-20-2013, 3:54 PM
Rich,
i was told Coreldraw x6 was a 64 bit program. Epilog tech support told me that - they said if I upgraded to it I wouldn't the crashing/freezing up problem I have now.

Walt Langhans
04-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Ok so here's the deal

I'm an IT guy who happens to have a laser, meaning I know much more about the computer than the laser, so...

Running an old 32bit program on a 64 bit system normally does not cause issues. However, Corel is a process intensive program, meaning it does a lot of calculations in a quick fashion and meshing a 32bit process intenze program with a 64 bit system doesn't always work. It's like putting a 1 inch square peg through a .95 square hole, it's going to work... kind of.

So upgrading to a more recent version of Corel will help, BUT... and this is a BIG but, if you computer is not in good shape and the processor is being constantly tasked, then it won't matter what version you have it will still crash.

To check this press ATL+CTRL+DEL and bring up the task manager, next click the performance tab, then run corel and send a job to the laser. If you see the CPU and / or Memory toping out then it's a computer issue.

Mike Null
04-21-2013, 7:28 AM
Buying CD on ebay at that price raises red flags for me.

Dan Hintz
04-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Running an old 32bit program on a 64 bit system normally does not cause issues. However, Corel is a process intensive program, meaning it does a lot of calculations in a quick fashion and meshing a 32bit process intenze program with a 64 bit system doesn't always work. It's like putting a 1 inch square peg through a .95 square hole, it's going to work... kind of.

So upgrading to a more recent version of Corel will help, BUT... and this is a BIG but, if you computer is not in good shape and the processor is being constantly tasked, then it won't matter what version you have it will still crash.

To check this press ATL+CTRL+DEL and bring up the task manager, next click the performance tab, then run corel and send a job to the laser. If you see the CPU and / or Memory toping out then it's a computer issue.

Processing intensity does not have an effect on whether or not a 32-bit program will have issues on a 64-bit system. The biggest issue 32-bit programs have on a 64-bit system is when it comes to low-level system access (i.e., hardware drivers, DMA, etc.). When you print, you're using a driver. If a 32-bit driver is well-behaved, it will often work fine in a 64-bit environment, but support for such is not guaranteed. In the early days of 64-bit systems, driver design was approaching black magic status... that has changed significantly as 64-bit systems have become commonplace.

So, there's a grain of truth in Epilog's statement.

That said, if you're running a business, you cannot legally use a student edition of CD. But that's another battle...

Walt Langhans
04-21-2013, 1:26 PM
Processing intensity does not have an effect on whether or not a 32-bit program will have issues on a 64-bit system. The biggest issue 32-bit programs have on a 64-bit system is when it comes to low-level system access (i.e., hardware drivers, DMA, etc.). When you print, you're using a driver. If a 32-bit driver is well-behaved, it will often work fine in a 64-bit environment, but support for such is not guaranteed. In the early days of 64-bit systems, driver design was approaching black magic status... that has changed significantly as 64-bit systems have become commonplace.

All very true. But if someone has a bunch of other programs running in the background that they are not aware off that are already using system resources and you start up a program that does some heavy duty processing real quick, like corle, it can peg the processor and memory and cause it to crash. And if this is what the problem is it's a simple fix without spending and $$.

However, with all that said, since your computer is 64 bit, you should probably go ahead and upgrade to the 64 bit edition of the program as it will be more stable for exactly the reasons Dan states.

And a +1 for Mike Null's comment

Martin Boekers
04-22-2013, 9:54 AM
I'd stay away from the Ebay programs, there is NO Corel support, chances are the are not OEM and copies.
This can bring legal issues as well as using student versions. In this computer day and age the manufacturers can see what
programs are installed if connect to the interenet. You will NOT be able to install Adobe programs without going through
a procedure and talking with customer support, so be careful........ Student versions are not upgradeable.

Corel and Adobe are only upgrading to 3 versions back sooooooo You should upgrade before X7 comes out are you will
have to pay full price. Last week Corel had X6 upgrade for $169.00 that's the cheapest I have seen it.

Dan Hintz
04-22-2013, 10:01 AM
You will NOT be able to install Adobe programs without going through
a procedure and talking with customer support

Meh... block the port in your firewall and it will work just fine ;)

John Salitsky
04-23-2013, 3:22 PM
LOL Dan!

I know from experience if you try to buy a student version from Adobe you basically have to give up your first student to them to prove you are teacher.

Martin Boekers
04-23-2013, 5:26 PM
Meh... block the port in your firewall and it will work just fine ;)

You can only upgrade Adobe directly from them now, believe me! I have a stack of Adobe software, most have been upgrades through the years
(Back to PS 5) I have my software cataloged, but it still took time to go through it with them before I could get CS6 approved and running. I have PS 7 on 4
computers and CS6 on mine :) the windows are past to upgrade the PS7's, I had CS3 and upgraded, as of now I can go a few more versions before upgrading.
CS6 wasnt too bad $179.00 (upgrade) Software has been changing, I expect subscriptions will be the way of the future......

If you stay with your old software and don't plan to upgrade, then your fine to go. Adobe has Cloud now so I expect that in the future, when they get
the bugs worked out you will have to have a subscription to their software. Corel probably won't be far behind. Both have limited upgrades to 3 versions now.
The main reason why I upgraded both Corel & Adobe so I wouldn't get hit with having to buy a full version if I missed the "3 back" window.

Major CAD programs have had annual fees for quite a while.

At least they don't require a Dongle!

Dan Hintz
04-24-2013, 6:50 AM
At least they don't require a Dongle!

Sure they do! The only difference now is the dongle is the network connection back to them. It weighs less and doesn't take up an extra port, but still just as frustrating when it doesn't work as it's supposed to.

Martin Boekers
04-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Sure they do! The only difference now is the dongle is the network connection back to them. It weighs less and doesn't take up an extra port, but still just as frustrating when it doesn't work as it's supposed to.

At least it's just a connection and not a major expense like a hardware dongle. :)

Robert Silvers
10-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Pegging a processor at 100% does not cause stuff to crash.

Try right clicking and running the program in XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Mark Sipes
10-05-2013, 4:57 PM
I'm running X6 32 bit on XP 32 bit works great. Only problem I have had is that 32bit XP can only access 4 G of memory and if I do a lot of font sampling, the backup memory gets full fast and locks up Corel.