PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Short Summer!

Rich Engelhardt
04-20-2013, 9:32 AM
Thursday it was 84* and I had to run the A/C ..
Right now, it's 34* and snowing.

There goes my "shop day".

oops - meant to post this in OT..

Matt Meiser
04-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Same here. I laughed at last night's forecast for snow. We got probably a 1/2" which isn't much--IF IT WASN'T APRIL 20!!!

We dropped from 81 to 64 in 20 minutes Thursday. It was a bit "breezy."

Ronald Blue
04-20-2013, 1:19 PM
It spit snow here yesterday but we received about 8 inches of rain Wednesday evening into Thursday. Some of the small streams have had record setting crests. The Mississippi is coming up as fast as I can recall and is reminding everyone that it will still do as it pleases when it pleases.

Brian Elfert
04-20-2013, 2:27 PM
We got around 6" of snow Thursday/Friday. Quite unusual this late in the year. I actually had to get my snow blower out. I actually In northern Minnesota they got 18" to 22" of snow.

I don't know that it has hit 50 degrees more than once this year. We may set a record for the latest day of the year to hit 60 degrees. Our Boy Scout troop canceled a campout for this weekend due to the snow and mud. Ice is not out on the lake across the street which is later than typical.

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2013, 3:44 PM
This morning I walked up the street a few houses to visit a neighbour for tea.

Nice and sunny so I didn't bother with a jacket.

On the walk back it was snowing.............welcome to spring, if you don't like the weather wait an hour.......Rod.

Mike Henderson
04-20-2013, 4:36 PM
That reminds me of a Minnesota joke:

Person from the south: What do you guys do here in the summer.

Person from Minnesota: We usually have a picnic that day.

Mike

Brian Kent
04-20-2013, 5:15 PM
And from my Minnesota cousin,
"I hope summer comes on a Saturday this year".

Brian Elfert
04-21-2013, 1:23 AM
The weather in Minnesota isn't as bad as all the jokes make it out to be, especially in recent years as the average temps have been going up over time. The bigger problem the last two summers has been the oppressive heat and humidity. Temps in the 90s with dew points in the upper 70s to low 80s is absolutely miserable. I would rather be out in ten degree weather than the high heat and humidity.

Most years by this time in April outdoor activities are starting to get into full swing. During a typical year the weather is warm enough for decent outdoor activities from May 1st until at least October 1st. This year is an exception and frustrating for Minnesota residents especially after last winter with almost no snow and 80 degrees on March 17th. The weather was so warm and dry last spring they already had fire bans at the Boy Scout camps in March. This year there is too much snow and mud to even go camping this weekend.

Kathy Marshall
04-21-2013, 1:59 AM
We had a cold front move in a few days ago, dropped down to the mid to low 70's brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sorry, couldn't help myself, but you'll have your revenge on me come June, July, August and September :eek:.

Rich Engelhardt
04-21-2013, 5:44 AM
This morning I walked up the street a few houses to visit a neighbour for tea.

Nice and sunny so I didn't bother with a jacket.

On the walk back it was snowing
More years ago than I care to remember.....like in Feb of 1970....we had one of those odd ball warm Winter days where the temp went up into the high 50's. (F not C)
I shed my normal leather MC jacket for a light blue jean jacket, took the "bubble" off my helmut and just wore sunglasses and put on a single layer of light leather gloves - and rode my MC to high school that day.

By noon, the temp had dropped to the teens.
By 3:00pm, it was down to near single digits.

On the ride home ( about 12 miles), the colder I'd get, the faster I'd go - & the faster I went, the colder I got!
LOL!
Second most miserable weather related ride of my life!
I was hitting 90 or better and half hoping to hit an ice patch so I'd get a nice warm ride in an ambulance!