PDA

View Full Version : 1" sander

John Powers
04-19-2013, 11:10 PM
I've given up on the delta 1" sander. The one with the belt and little tiltable table? Constant trouble. Looks like the harbor freight one. Can any recommend one? I see Rikon has one at woodcraft for 130.00. I use it for surf plugs, other things. It's convenient but the delta would freeze up.

paul cottingham
04-20-2013, 12:27 AM
I have the little Viel from Lee Valley. You need to find a motor for it, but its a great value.

Perry Holbrook
04-20-2013, 7:15 AM
I converted an old Sears Band saw (maybe 10") to a ribbon sander several years ago. It works great. Just strip off all the blade stuff, replace the tension spring with a stronger one, and call Klingspor and get them to make you some belts. I buy my belts 6" wide, J Flex backing, just rip them to the width you need.

Perry

glenn bradley
04-20-2013, 8:10 AM
By freeze up, do you mean it would stall during use? If so, a more powerful unit may be the solution. If so, maybe something like an American made Kalamazoo (with their or your motor) (http://www.kalamazooind.com/products/belt-sanders/2fs72-belt-sander/) could be a solution(?).

John McClanahan
04-20-2013, 9:09 AM
I have a Craftsman 2"x42" belt/disk sander. It can also use 1" belts. Typical Craftsman quality, but I've used it a fair amount without any problems.

John