PDA

View Full Version : De Walt 625 - Max cutter diameter?

ian maybury
04-19-2013, 8:19 AM
:confused: I've just bought a 1/2 in shank 70mm dia miter lock cutter http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Mitre_Lock_Jointer_143.html - only to find (to my surpise) that the manual for my table mounted De Walt 625 (with an Extreme extender) specifies a maxium cutter diameter of 50mm.

It seems like it will fit - it's to do the corners of some 18mm birch ply boxes.

Is it likely to fly off and whizz past my ear if i run it?

The 625 is a fairly large router, it has variable speed down below the required 10,000 rpm - and surely this size of bit is commonly enough used in horizontal panel raising? 50mm dia seems like one hell of a restriction....

Thoughts?

ian

Joe Scharle
04-19-2013, 10:30 AM
I used to run 2 3/4" panel raising bits on my 625 before moving it to my Woodrat.
How many liters would that equal :D

Charlie Jones
04-19-2013, 11:09 AM
I run large cutters in my 625. As long as you slow them down there is no problem.

Mike Ruggeri
04-19-2013, 1:26 PM
I have run Freud panel raisers (2 3/4 inches I think) in my 625 many times and they worked fine for me. As Charlie does, I just slowed them down. If I remember, there is not much clearance but there was enough not to cause me any issues. I usually take multiple passes so maybe that helped. Be careful, as these are good size cutters and can be dangerous.

Mike

Roger Feeley
04-19-2013, 8:25 PM
I have a 625 that I used in a router table. One of the problems was that I couldn't swing a big bit. Really, the 625 isn't built for use in a table. I used a Router Raizer and got along ok.

The thing that keeps the 625 from swinging a big bit are some tabs where you mount a plate for holding bushings. I could have milled those off and it would have increased the bit capacity by a lot. I chose to replace the router.

ian maybury
04-21-2013, 6:00 AM
Thanks again guys. My 625 is late 1990s and so quite old - and yes there's a whole new generation of larger units out thre now. It has an Extender and a Raizer fitted, and within its limits (more vertical travel would be nice too) does a great job on the router table. It's been rock solid and held close to zero runout for the past year though..

Having concluded that it's probably best to avoid pushing the envelope too far on the 625 i've bough a mitre lock cutter for the shaper....

ian