PDA

View Full Version : Skil HD5510

Denny Rice
04-18-2013, 10:16 PM
I have a Skil HD5510 5 1/2" saw and it has died! I use this saw almost everyday and much to my surprise I went to Amazon.com and about 100 other websites and have seen Skil has discontinued this great little saw. I want another CORDED left blade saw like the Skil 5510 but except for the 250.00 Makita (which is larger) it seems to be slim pickins. Any advice? I'm hoping I will come across one in the box sitting in a hardware store somewhere (yea right). Are there any good small corded saws left or is this a dying breed?:confused:

scott spencer
04-19-2013, 5:53 AM
Maybe you can find a Porter Cable 345 Saw Boss.

Matt Meiser
04-19-2013, 8:11 AM
Ridgid made/makes a 6-1/2". I saw one at the Direct Tools store at the outlet mall in Birch Run in early March.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/FUEGO-Framing-Saw/EN/index.htm

Also, I've got the Milwaukee M18 and its very usable with the big battery back but I'm not an everyday user.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-19-2013, 8:46 AM
Dying breed is right! I'd see if you can get it fixed. I bought one a few years back and it's great! Since it cuts 2x4's I even use it for light framing, it's a lot lighter than my skil worm drive. Seems like the closest you can get is the Makita. All the others are battery powered or with little 3 inch blades
Good luck. There's a few places that still list them when I google the saw, maybe someone still has one in stock.

Might have good luck fixing it. My overall impression is that the Skil line is generally better taken care of after their acquisition by Bosch than before!

John Schweikert
04-19-2013, 8:49 AM
The Ridgid isn't a left side blade saw. Ryobi has a cordless 5-1/2" left sided blade circular saw, I have one and it's crap.

The Makita is the only left blade corded 5-1/2" that is still made. Next you would beed to go to 6-1/2" saws, most if not all of the left blade versions are cordless. Then you would need to look at 7-1/4" saws where there are plenty of left blade corded saws.

Denny Rice
04-19-2013, 9:18 PM
I guess I 'm tierd of buying tools with batteries. I want something small I can plug in and know its going to work and not run out of power. If I knew Skil was going to do this back a couple of years ago, I would of purchased one just to keep around when this one decided to die. I guess its time to take it apart and find out what happened inside the saw I got.

Denny Rice
04-19-2013, 9:21 PM
Maybe you can find a Porter Cable 345 Saw Boss.
It looks like the PC 345 has been put to death too. Thanks Scott, I guess I'm going to keep an eye on ebay for either a used 345 of a used skil saw. I really don't want to drop 200+ on the new Makita.......LOL