PDA

View Full Version : Where to find these plaque materials

Mike DeRegnaucourt
04-18-2013, 7:53 PM
Does anybody know where to find these plaque components in the photo below? The plaque is 12" x 9" and is solid wood (not particle board underneath) with what looks to be a Piano Finish in either Cherry or Rosewood. The finish has an incredibly deep lustrous shine. The plaque plate also has a very high gloss finish too. Most of the plaque plates I've worked with in the past did not have nearly the shine this one does. The part I am sure will be the toughest to find is the solid metal eagle in the corner. It appears to be an antique copper color...might be an antique brass finish but was more of an orange color. The eagle is bolted through the plaque.

I've done several other plaques for this customer but he brought this latest one by and wanted to know if I could do it. I told him I would see what I could find and give him a quote. I've done some searching and have found some of the wooden plaques but if someone knows the best place to get these for the best prices, that would be great. I have not been able to find the plaque plate with the exact same border as this one but I might be able to recreate that with engraving if I cannot find one that already has it done. I have not had any luck finding the solid metal eagle at all.

Thanks for taking a look and providing any help.

-Mike260345

Mark Sipes
04-18-2013, 10:28 PM
I do not think this is a catalog item. the eagle can be found as http://php.jdsindustries.com/JDS_SITE/site1.php?D3ID=202&D2ID=&D1ID=11&D1DESC=Gifts+%26amp%3B+Engravables&D2DESC=&D3DESC=RS+Owen+Plated+Metal+Products&ITEM=RSPC55B&SITE=ITEMINFO&MENU2=MENU2 and the plate looks like a sheet of black brass/steel with the border edge lasered. the board is just that a piano finished rosewood. all available from JDS.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
04-19-2013, 7:49 AM
Thank you Mark! The help is greatly appreciated.

Mike Null
04-19-2013, 7:55 AM
I believe the plate is pre finished by a company such as Victory. I buy them now and then and most of the time they are brass--it it is not as likely laser engraved in house. Lasering a border like that drives up the engraving time the same as if you were engraving the total of the plate. JDS also has Victory plates similar to that. The plaque looks like a standard piano finish also available from JDS.

Ross Moshinsky
04-19-2013, 8:24 AM
As said above, it's all stuff you can buy from just about any trophy/plaque supply house. The plate appears to be black steel/brass engraved with the border. To do that border more quickly, you just do a contour fill. You could also substitute it for a plate with some sort of boarder already there but it will end up costing more money. "Designer plates" are significantly more expensive than just buying a sheet of steel.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
04-19-2013, 9:26 AM
I believe the plate is pre finished by a company such as Victory.

Hi Mike,

Do you recall if the finish on the plates from Victory were similar to the gloss like shine of the piano finish on the plaque itself? Most the plates I have used in the past were matte or shiny but not nearly as glossy as the one he showed me on the sample. The entire sample (well except for the eagle) had the look of almost being wet it was so glossy. The customer said he was wanting the same glossy look as the sample.

I agree Mike, if I have to recreate the border with the laser, that would definitely increase the laser time and cost since the laser would have to essentially raster the entire plate. Without having to do the border, the laser head can skip the blank areas and be done much quicker.

Thank you for the source information Mike.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
04-19-2013, 9:34 AM
To do that border more quickly, you just do a contour fill.

Hi Ross, when you say contour fill, do you mean the fill would be comprised basically of side-by-side vector lines? Then the border could be run as a vector and not have to travel completely back and forth for each pass. I like that idea. What offset would you suggest between the vector lines? I guess by choosing an offset the same as the laser's kerf should accomplish a "solid fill". The more I think about it, wouldn't double the kerf actually accomplish it? My thought being that 1/2 of the kerf is actually on each side of the vector line. I hope that made sense. lol

Thanks for the idea Ross.

Mike Null
04-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Mike

Victory has a number of finishes and you can also check Tropar though their Chicago warehouse is closed today due to flooding.

Mark Sipes
04-19-2013, 11:59 AM
And this people.....is why you put your sticker on the back of items you make for retail....... just imagine how much publicity this "fantom" awards maker is missing out on......

John Salitsky
04-23-2013, 8:55 AM
Lasering borders takes so much machine time I am forever finding myself thinking that the old fashoned way of just adding a gold aluminum back plate is less costly. Machine time is money.