PDA

View Full Version : Time was....

Bruce Volden
04-18-2013, 5:10 PM
When you purchased something at a store and later had troubles with it you brought it back and it was exchanged PERIOD. Now you have to deal with the manufacturers of the products.

Fast forward---we just came out of a spring storm (iced power lines etc. 3+ days no power). Power comes on revealing many "fried" electronics". Lost a front load washer, microwave, business phone, LCD TV, DVD player, satellite rcvr., many light bulbs and a couple of fluorescent light ballasts.....

I have "good" insurance on the home--certainly if I put in a claim they would pay it after already talking to the adjuster. I also would see my ins. payment jump a couple hundred dollars a year more--NEVER to come down!

Now, the TV and such was on a surge protected power strip (Woods) and of course they want a sales slip (don't have). I could see myself then later sending in such power strip and being told--"We could find noting wrong."

Present---Researching on-line I find most companies WILL stand behind their products in accordance with the appliance warranty???? In other words-most electronics have a 1 yr. warranty. So in year 2 you have a problem like mine you are SOL anyway!

Help me folks in preparing for the future as I have already purchased the aforementioned "stuff" out of my own pocket. I just want to be smarter next time. Also, after having posted this, I feel so much better!

Bruce

Steve Costa
04-18-2013, 5:26 PM
Bruce,

We have had similar type power failures in the past but none that lasted 3 days. Once your power fails I recommend that you go to your electrical panel and turn off the main breaker and all of the other breakers. Next step is to unplug every appliance, computer, TV etc. in your home. Wait till you see lights in your surrounding homes come on and turn on the main breaker. Once this is done turn on one breaker at a time and test it with a corded drill to make sure the plug works. Do this for every plug in your home. Once you are satisfied that all circuits work, plug in one appliance at a time. If it works proceed to the next one. If one fizzles or sizzles call an electrician.

Steve

Jim Matthews
04-18-2013, 5:38 PM
The worst case if you send the strip in is that they deny your claim.

Mention the prevalence of social media for satisfied customers, perhaps that will generate some consideration?
I think you're up against the inrush current when things come back on line.

A whole-house surge protector isn't expensive; but it should be installed professionally.
It's no help now, but it may avoid similar losses in the next storm.

http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/electrical/value-whole-house-surge-protectors/

Bruce Volden
04-18-2013, 7:03 PM
The worst case if you send the strip in is that they deny your claim.

Mention the prevalence of social media for satisfied customers, perhaps that will generate some consideration?
I think you're up against the inrush current when things come back on line.

A whole-house surge protector isn't expensive; but it should be installed professionally.
It's no help now, but it may avoid similar losses in the next storm.

http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/electrical/value-whole-house-surge-protectors/

This is one thing I hadn't thought about-Social Media- Very Good, Thank you Jim.

Also I left out the fact that I worked in the technology sector for 30 years before I retired and am quite familiar with the intricacies of sags and surges in electronics..

Bruce

Larry Frank
04-18-2013, 7:45 PM
Some things to consider --

I have a rider insurance policy which covers most of my electronics with a no deductible all causes replacement cost. The yearly cost is not too much.

I have high end surge protectors on my electronics and a UPS on both my main computer and the modem/router/switches for my LAN.

I have thought about getting a whole house surge protector and wonder if that would have prevented your problems.
If it would, it would be the easiest and probably the least expensive solution.

I had an incident a couple of years ago where somebody ran off the road and cut off an electrical pole and caused a electric spike through a lot of homes. It knocked out a lot of stuff including my computer even though it had a surge protector and that is why I now have a UPS and surge protector The driver of the car ended up paying for my costs, others peoples stuff and the cost of replacing the electrical pole on the highway.

ray hampton
04-18-2013, 9:08 PM
If the sub station are close to your home and someone try to steal the copper at the sub station will this cause a spike

Bruce Volden
04-18-2013, 9:11 PM
Some things to consider --

I have a rider insurance policy which covers most of my electronics with a no deductible all causes replacement cost. The yearly cost is not too much.

I have high end surge protectors on my electronics and a UPS on both my main computer and the modem/router/switches for my LAN.

I have thought about getting a whole house surge protector and wonder if that would have prevented your problems.
If it would, it would be the easiest and probably the least expensive solution.

I had an incident a couple of years ago where somebody ran off the road and cut off an electrical pole and caused a electric spike through a lot of homes. It knocked out a lot of stuff including my computer even though it had a surge protector and that is why I now have a UPS and surge protector The driver of the car ended up paying for my costs, others peoples stuff and the cost of replacing the electrical pole on the highway.
Larry,

I too have several UPS's along with a high end line conditioner to cover my business end of things--ALL of these were spared any damage.

I have researched and "learned?"-example--- You purchase a TV, mfgrs. warranty 1 year--2 years later a situation like I encountered happens along and even with "high end" protection the warranty of the TV is void (longer than 1 year) even though the protective equipment has a lifetime warranty. How did we get fooled into buying into this scheme??

Bruce

Mike Henderson
04-18-2013, 10:11 PM
It's not unreasonable that manufacturers would only address problems during the warrantee period. I think the best approach is to have insurance that covers the risk and use it. That's why you bought it. If your present insurer jacks up your rates, change to a different insurer. There's competition between them and you'll probably find that another reputable company will cover you at approximately the same price you were paying.

Mike