PDA

View Full Version : New Planer Gloat

Matt Meiser
05-13-2005, 4:00 PM
As a few people know, I've been looking at bigger planers. I had considered restoring an old planer, but SWMBO didn't agree with me putting much money into one, especially after I made the mistake of showing her pictures of one I was bidding on on Ebay. I also called or emailed on several used ones, but didn't find anything close so I couldn't make it work economically.

Today I found out that The Andersons in Toledo was clearancing the Delta X5 model for $999. The first store I called didn't have one. The second had only the floor model and wouldn't budge on the price. They also checked stock at other stores and only found them in Columbus. I thought about it but decided to pass. I finally decided to call the third Toledo-area store and they again only had the floor model, but offered to knock $50 off the price, so I got it for $949. It was already assembled and appeared complete so I brought it home this afternoon. I did find that it was missing the locking knobs and the knife jig but Delta has those on the way to me. I'll probably pick up a set of planer pal jigs anyway and I found I actually had some metric nuts the right thread to use temporarily on the locks.

I'm still eligible for all the other X5 offers, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. I probably won't move it so I'm leaning towards the $50 rebate or the router.

Scott Coffelt
05-13-2005, 4:07 PM
Nice haul. I hope to have one of them 15" planers in my shop someday, but for now the 13" will have to do.

Jerry Olexa
05-13-2005, 4:11 PM
Good haul, Matt and good job of searching and negotiating! I also have a 13" Delta.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-13-2005, 4:24 PM
Matt,

Congrats on the new planer! It sure looks like a nice one! I would love to upgrade my planer. I have been on the lookout for some deals :)

Tim Farrell
05-13-2005, 4:24 PM
Congrats on your new tool. Looks great. I also want to compliment you on your shop. Man, you keep that clean. I fall way short on that front. Congrats again!!!!

John Miliunas
05-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Matt, you lucky dog, you!!! BIG time congrats!:) A "real" planer is on my "list", but don't look too promising for the near future. Please let us know how you like it once you run some boards through it! Turning green here in WI!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Frank Pellow
05-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Congratulations Matt. I have the same planer and like it (although I have not used it much for real work, I have tested it extensively). I suggest that you opt for the mobile base with your X5 offer.

Dan Forman
05-14-2005, 3:32 AM
Nice addition to a really nice looking shop!!

Dan

Kelly C. Hanna
05-14-2005, 3:36 AM
Nice planer Matt, congrats!

Joe Mioux
05-14-2005, 5:21 AM
Matt: Congratulations on the new Delta Planer and on having a really great looking shop.

Joe

lou sansone
05-14-2005, 7:32 AM
looks like a nice machine and it should handle most anything you might throw at it. nice shop as well. congrats
lou

Matt Meiser
05-14-2005, 8:22 AM
I also want to compliment you on your shop. Man, you keep that clean. I fall way short on that front. Congrats again!!!!

Its not always that clean. I cleaned it up after my last project and haven't started the next. I do try to clean after each project--that makes it a lot easier.

Mark Singer
05-14-2005, 8:32 AM
Matt,

i know you were looking and that is a beauty! Congradulations!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2005, 9:40 AM
Congrats Matt! Give us a review after you've used it for a while!

Jim Becker
05-14-2005, 10:32 AM
That's a very nice tool, Matt, and worthy of a gloat! Congratulations! (Very nice shop, too...)

Steve Stube
05-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Matt, nice addition to a very fine looking shop. Have you featured a shop tour that I missed? Would you consider one? I'd be interested in seeing your mobile clamp stand a little closer up (hope my eyes aren't deceiving me on this). And how do you get that piece of flex hose above the planner to stay suspended in mid-air? Must be a new camo bracket.

Matt Meiser
05-14-2005, 9:57 PM
Matt, nice addition to a very fine looking shop. Have you featured a shop tour that I missed? Would you consider one? I'd be interested in seeing your mobile clamp stand a little closer up (hope my eyes aren't deceiving me on this). And how do you get that piece of flex hose above the planner to stay suspended in mid-air? Must be a new camo bracket.

There was a tour back in July 04 here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10896) but it probably needs some updating as I've just gone through a round of major upgrades and aquisitions in the last 3 months.

The hose trick will remain my secret however. :D :D