PDA

View Full Version : West, Texas

Jim Rimmer
04-18-2013, 1:25 PM
One of or friends here at the Creek lives in West. Unfortunately I can't remember his name right now. Hope he is well. Prayers and thoughts to all of those folks in West.

ray hampton
04-18-2013, 6:21 PM
I hope that WEST ,TEXAS are not damage too bad

Jim O'Dell
04-22-2013, 9:24 PM
Purely selfish, but I hope the Kolache Kitchen downtown was not damaged. I was introduced to Kolaches during a geology class field trip to study what underground formations do to the surface. The professor illustrated it by walking us out on a bridge over I-35 to look down the highway. It is amazing to see how the once flat highway structure has moved and twisted in a short time. Anyway, West is a quaint little town with people who have huge hearts made of gold. I was saddened to hear of the explosion while we were on our trip to the DC area this past week. Get well, West!!! Jim.

Bill Cunningham
04-23-2013, 9:55 PM
Being in Canada, I always thought West Texas was an area of the state, not a actual town named 'West' My god!! that was a terrible explosion..

Curt Harms
04-24-2013, 7:10 AM
Being in Canada, I always thought West Texas was an area of the state, not a actual town named 'West' My god!! that was a terrible explosion..

I think it's both, Bill. Ammonium Nitrate has been hard on Texas. This is the second explosion I know of, the first was worse in terms of casualties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

Jim Rimmer
04-24-2013, 1:57 PM

Yeah, it's confusing if you're not from Texas. West comma Texas is a town while West Texas is an area. I suppose when West was named it may have been on the western frontier of Texas but now it's in central Texas.

Jim Rimmer
04-24-2013, 1:59 PM
I think it's both, Bill. Ammonium Nitrate has been hard on Texas. This is the second explosion I know of, the first was worse in terms of casualties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

I live about 15 miles from Texas City. The 1947 explosion is still talked about. They have a memorial park there with an anchor that was blown to its current location by the explosion.

Bill Cunningham
04-25-2013, 11:02 PM
My wife is from NovaScotia, and the people in Halifax have the same type of feelings when it comes to burning and exploding ships.
http://www.cbc.ca/halifaxexplosion/

ray hampton
04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
My wife is from NovaScotia, and the people in Halifax have the same type of feelings when it comes to burning and exploding ships.

where did the cargo on the ship come ? maybe by rail cars ?
if this amount of explosives were set -off today in this harbor [estimate death at more or less ]?

Bill Huber
04-26-2013, 1:20 PM
Purely selfish, but I hope the Kolache Kitchen downtown was not damaged. I was introduced to Kolaches during a geology class field trip to study what underground formations do to the surface. The professor illustrated it by walking us out on a bridge over I-35 to look down the highway. It is amazing to see how the once flat highway structure has moved and twisted in a short time. Anyway, West is a quaint little town with people who have huge hearts made of gold. I was saddened to hear of the explosion while we were on our trip to the DC area this past week. Get well, West!!! Jim.

It is fine and is still baking Kolaches every day.

Bill Huber
04-26-2013, 1:21 PM

West, Texas is east of west Texas......

Now is it all straight?

Jim Rimmer
04-26-2013, 3:04 PM
West, Texas is east of west Texas......

Now is it all straight?
There's a road in Dallas where you can be going east in the soutbound lane of the Northwest freeway.

ray hampton
04-26-2013, 5:40 PM
There's a road in Dallas where you can be going east in the soutbound lane of the Northwest freeway.

in other words ,you are going in four directions at one time without going into a tailspin

Larry Whitlow
04-26-2013, 11:01 PM

Bill, I learned about the Halifax explosion when I was there as a tourist a few years back. I remember visiting a church that still had a piece of something embedded in the wall from the explosion.

Jim Koepke
04-29-2013, 8:05 PM

Does that mean you are going nowhere in the fast lane?

jtk

Bill Cunningham
04-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Does that mean you are going nowhere in the fast lane?

jtk

There's a signpost up ahead that says "Welcome to the twilight zone".. and darnit.. I'm a man, and 'still' wont stop for directions..:D

Jim O'Dell
04-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Bill, are you talking about the one on the freeway that was on the news casts? That's not the Kolache Kitchen. It's down town, east of I-35, and was inside the outer ring of the blast area...that is if it hadn't moved in the past 10 years or so. The one on the hwy has only been there for 20 years. I first ate at the Kolache Kitchen downtown in 1976 or so, and it had been there for years at that time. Best Apple Strudel I've ever had! The kolaches were better than the other place also. Jim.

ray hampton
04-30-2013, 11:26 PM
There's a signpost up ahead that says "Welcome to the twilight zone".. and darnit.. I'm a man, and 'still' wont stop for directions..:D

I'm watching twilight zone did you know that

Bill Cunningham
05-02-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm watching twilight zone did you know that

Ahh Ray..now you know my secret power..Remote viewing...shhh don't tell my wife..

ray hampton
05-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Ahh Ray..now you know my secret power..Remote viewing...shhh don't tell my wife..

so that is the reason that your wife marry you