PDA

View Full Version : 30 Straight days of hard core production with my Shenhui

Walt Langhans
04-18-2013, 1:15 PM
On March 18th (how do I remember the exact day you ask, simple my brain still hurt from the green beer) I walked into my garage and said:

Me: So Lenny (that's my lasers name (Why did I name my laser? So I would have something to put on his name tag of course)), rumor around town is that you're pretty tough

Lenny: Tougher than you... Punk.

Me: Oh yeah!?!

Lenny: Yeah! Punk!

Me: Ok, we'll see...

Since then Lenny has had a steady diet of 1/8 MDF for 10+ per day (that's actual laser firing time) Monday thru Friday, and 8+ hour on Saturdays and Sundays. Other than some routine cleaning I haven't had to do any other maintenance and haven't had any issues (other than the one I caused by myself with the chiller) and he's still cutting / engraving away. I on the other hand have about had it, and will be taking this Sunday off.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not looking to start a who's laser is better than who's thread. I just want anyone who is considering the purchase of a Shenhui what they are capable of under real world production situation.

Larry Folk
04-18-2013, 1:25 PM
Walt,

I'm just curious (not noisy) but what type of work are you doing running the laser 10 hours a day.
Pictures please.

Joe Hillmann
04-18-2013, 1:25 PM
Lenny the laser, I picture some sort of claymation cartoon along the lines of bob the builder :) Are you getting caught up yet? Or do you still have a ways to go?

Mark Sipes
04-18-2013, 1:47 PM
Should be ready for a new boob tube in about 30 more days.......

Walt Langhans
04-18-2013, 3:24 PM
Walt,

I'm just curious (not noisy) but what type of work are you doing running the laser 10 hours a day.
Pictures please.

I don't consider that noisy at all, I have nothing to hide and there isn't much I wont share. I did a kickstarter and I'm fulfilling the pledges as well as prototyping new desings for the next KS. You can see what I did at kickstarterDOTcom search for Impudent Mortal and you'll find it.

Are you getting caught up yet? Or do you still have a ways to go?
Oh... of course not. I'm figuring another 6 weeks at the current pace.

Should be ready for a new boob tube in about 30 more days.......
???

Craig Matheny
04-18-2013, 7:04 PM
I am curious on Return of investment.... A new tube after 2 months of hard work? I run both my Epilog lasers for 10 hours m-f, sat 14 hours and sunday 12 hours during 7 months off season come summer 14 hours 7 days a week for 5 months,I replace my tube every 3+ years at $1200.00 per machine, so about 4300 hours a year so i get about 12,000+ hours of run time so about .10 cents an hour for tube life. how does that compare to the chinese lasers.

Again I agree with Walt this is not a laser debate mine is better than yours but in real world we also need to know our cost for maintenance and up keep.

Walt Langhans
04-18-2013, 11:17 PM
I am curious on Return of investment.... A new tube after 2 months of hard work? I run both my Epilog lasers for 10 hours m-f, sat 14 hours and sunday 12 hours during 7 months off season come summer 14 hours 7 days a week for 5 months,I replace my tube every 3+ years at $1200.00 per machine, so about 4300 hours a year so i get about 12,000+ hours of run time so about .10 cents an hour for tube life. how does that compare to the chinese lasers.

Yeah that why I quoted Mark I didn't understand his comment. My tube is fine and will continue to be fine for many many more hours. However whenever it does die I'll let you know :)